Thread: Dry Ice in Fairbanks

Default Dry Ice in Fairbanks

Where to get dry ice in fairbanks? Also what is the price?

Fred Meyer's has it, don't know the price per pound off the top of my head though.

Safeway has it as well, also unsure of the price.

How do you use it? Can you just stick it in your cooler with your freeze food?

remember you can't take it on planes if your shipping meat. And I wouldn't put it in with your food. If you touch that stuff reaching for a beer you'll get a good burn.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

We are going on a Caribou Hunt early September 2013 with 70 North. I did some digging on checking my game meat as baggage on Alaska Airlines. I know this thread is a few years old...and maybe there are newer updates. Other airlines may have different policies. I want my caribou meat to arrive safely. I called this company to verify they sell the Wetlock boxes. You can verify the prices...they can change. It was the last forum entry saying you cannot put Dry Ice in the boxes that needed some clarification, since I know I will need to put some dry ice in to get back to the lower 48 without spoiling. WetLock Boxes for transporting game/fish as baggage on Alaska Air are sold by:
    Interior Alaska Fish Processors, 2400 Davis Rd. Fairbanks, AK. (907 456-3885)
    Cost: 80 lb box is $25 each plus $10 for mandatory plastic liner. 50lb box is $20 each plus $10 for plastic liner. They have one smaller.
    Alaska Airlines game meat baggage Dry Ice Policy: Dry ice may be placed in carry-on and checked baggage subject to the following limitations: In all cases, the packaging must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas. For carry-on baggage and checked baggage, the limit is 5.5 pounds total per customer. The package must be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or the statement that the net weight of dry ice is 5.5 pounds or less. The name of the contents being cooled, along with the words "Dry Ice" or "Carbon Dioxide, Solid" must be on the outside of the package. Wet Ice is prohibited in both carry-on and checked baggage. Again, I am referencing Alaska Air, only. BTW, I have used this forum extensively to do my homework, get references, and gain as much insight. We are looking forward to our hunt...for sure, and thanks. I could not have done it without you all.

Anouther little tid bit.

If your meat INCLUDING container is OVER 100 lbs , It will have to be shipped Air Cargo.

That is VERY expensive.

We shipped out 12 hunters meat last year & they are absolutely sticklers on the 100 lbs.

Also the meat must be Frozen Solid. If not they will NOT accept it.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy & Expiditing Fairbanks
    907 322 0936 ww.protaxidermy.com

Here is the policy straight from Alaska Airlines: Maximum weight per piece 100 pounds.
    Labeled appropriately (FROZEN OR COOL).
    Dry ice (up to 5 pounds) or gel ice can be used. No wet ice allowed.