Thread: Kenai late king e.o. Possible

Default Kenai late king e.o. Possible

F&G is currently considering restricting the rest of the Kenai King salmon season. A decision will be made later today and if implemented the E.O. would likely take effect on Wesnesday and restrict the use of bait and allow only catch and release for the final 4 days of the season. This will be a very tough and close call, but with the sonar counting high to the tune of anywhere from 25% to 40% the concerns are being closely weighed. All other indicators other than sonar point to a very weak late run of kings. Stand by.

I fished Eagle Rock Saturday. Only 1 hit in 6 x 4 hours of fishing from our boat. Saw very very very few fish boated, probably the slowest I've ever seen it given the level of effort and water conditions which were "ok". The few I did seen caught all were REAL small.

2008 was the worst year for kings I'd ever seen. 2009 was worse. 2010 is even worse. I have quite a few friends who guide the Kenai ever day. Even they, who depend on the river for their livelihood, believe the river should be shut down for 5 - 7 years.

Fished beaver hole from 5 am to 7. Not one fish hooked by anyone. None hooked below. None came down from the crossover. This is supposed to be THE time of year. 5 to 7 is THE time of day. High tide was 5:30 AM, that is THE time to be in the hole. Not one net up. Dismal.

Kenai Kings should have gone to catch and release two weeks ago. I have been on the river every day for three weeks during both guide hours and private boater hours. Other than a small flurry here and a small flurry there, the action has been limited to single nets. If Fish and Game attempted to manage the river biologically instead of politically, king fishing would have been shut down by the 15th.

The commercial EOs in the last four days haven't helped the slow action, but fishing was slow to terrible on days when the nets were out of the water.

The BOF needs to take some major actions when reviewing the management plan this winter.

-reduce king bycatch by the Aleutian groundfishing fleet; make it a $ issue to encourage/force the fleet to revisit traditional harvest methods
    -outlaw king fishing above the Soldotna bridge; keep the hacks from pulling burners off their beds
    -enact season long slot limit; 42"-55" inches must be released; 55+" kept only with $500 trophy tag
    -reduce commercial net mesh size to reduce Cook Inlet commercial king harvest
    -eliminate dipnet king harvest; give everyone 5 more reds to make up for the difference

I have fished the Kenai since I was a kid and the last few summers have made me sick.

Some good ideas there rowdy +1

E.O. did not happen, but it sounds like a lot of guys out there, and perhaps a few guides, think it should have. Anyone have the inside scoop?

[QUOTE=rowdyak;778245]Kenai Kings should have gone to catch and release two weeks ago. I have been on the river every day for three weeks during both guide hours and private boater hours. Other than a small flurry here and a small flurry there, the action has been limited to single nets. If Fish and Game attempted to manage the river biologically instead of politically, king fishing would have been shut down by the 15th. [QUOE=rowdyak;778245]

If the river was managed biologically then we would should be able to haul out some of those 30 lb+ trout that eat a ****e pot load of salmon fry every year. BTW I'm a hacker that loves pulling in burners. Over the course of 10 years I've put in an average of 6.33 rod hours per fish. Only got skunked last year and caught my wall mounter this year. Getting a skin mount of my 64lb'r. I only hope my son has an opportuntiy to harvest a burner and get it mounted on his wall. So, for me the river has been generous and I think the fishing has been fine.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1249711871
    Last edited by 1S1K; 07-29-2010 at 11:52. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lure View Post
    E.O. did not happen, but it sounds like a lot of guys out there, and perhaps a few guides, think it should have. Anyone have the inside scoop?
    What would closing the fishery do with only 4-5 days left in the season?? If fishing is slow, nature is already regulating the fishery.

Why are people claiming the counts are incorrect? Just because the ADFG net crew and sport fisherman are not catching fish? Shouldn't the counter be able to distinguish the size of fish, because of the DIDSON sonar??? If this years counts are so far off, then we can only assume the last two seasons are incorrect as well. Why is it fishing was great for kings one day which 1600 fish were counted then horrible on another 1600 fish day? There are a lot of unanswered questions.

I cannot remember a season where water temps haven't reached 55 degrees, this year the water has averaged 48-49 degrees. Just because the lower river isn't fishing well due to lock jawed fish doesn't mean we should close it down!

This season will probably see more fish to the spawning grounds than previous years due to the lack of sport harvest. Unless the ADFG counter is over 50 percent off in it's counts the 2010 run will prove to be a great spawning year for Kings.

In other words, just because a person can't catch a fish doesn't mean the fish isn't there....hint.

Quote Originally Posted by rmkak View Post
    What would closing the fishery do with only 4-5 days left in the season?? If fishing is slow, nature is already regulating the fishery.

Why are people claiming the counts are incorrect? Just because the ADFG net crew and sport fisherman are not catching fish? Shouldn't the counter be able to distinguish the size of fish, because of the DIDSON sonar??? If this years counts are so far off, then we can only assume the last two seasons are incorrect as well. Why is it fishing was great for kings one day which 1600 fish were counted then horrible on another 1600 fish day? There are a lot of unanswered questions.

I cannot remember a season where water temps haven't reached 55 degrees, this year the water has averaged 48-49 degrees. Just because the lower river isn't fishing well due to lock jawed fish doesn't mean we should close it down!

This season will probably see more fish to the spawning grounds than previous years due to the lack of sport harvest. Unless the ADFG counter is over 50 percent off in it's counts the 2010 run will prove to be a great spawning year for Kings.

In other words, just because a person can't catch a fish doesn't mean the fish isn't there....hint.
    I talked with Robert Begich, head sportfish biologist, for about 30 minutes last week. He said the sonar counter is likely off by 40 percent or more due to the size of fish they are counting. Based on the test nets by the ADF&G crew, they have been counting for smaller fish which includes lots of large sockeye. This was his explanation and he said they would have some serious revisions to numbers after season was over.

Just FYI.

It is mind boggling that the sonar could be so far off. After all, its Didson now, which has been heralded as far superior to the old Bendix in its accuracy. If the variability is as high as some are claiming now, what use is it as a management tool, much less THE management tool for the Kenai sport, commercial and personal use fisheries?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    It is mind boggling that the sonar could be so far off. After all, its Didson now, which has been heralded as far superior to the old Bendix in its accuracy. If the variability is as high as some are claiming now, what use is it as a management tool, much less THE management tool for the Kenai sport, commercial and personal use fisheries?
    They are not using Didson in the Kenai to estimate king passage inseason, but rather the traditional HTI sonar (those are the numbers being reported daily). However, they are researching the use of the Didson sonar this year on both banks and testing software to enable automated measuring of targets passing the ensonified zone.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyak View Post

The BOF needs to take some major actions when reviewing the management plan this winter.

-reduce king bycatch by the Aleutian groundfishing fleet; make it a $ issue to encourage/force the fleet to revisit traditional harvest methods
    -outlaw king fishing above the Soldotna bridge; keep the hacks from pulling burners off their beds
    -enact season long slot limit; 42"-55" inches must be released; 55+" kept only with $500 trophy tag
    -reduce commercial net mesh size to reduce Cook Inlet commercial king harvest
    -eliminate dipnet king harvest; give everyone 5 more reds to make up for the difference
    Let's continue on with the list for the BOF to consider:
    Reduce the number of Fish Guides on the River to the 1970 Level.
    No Guide Boat sporting a Guide Decal allowed on the river Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays or Mondays
    Place Sport King Fishery on Lottery for Residents, one fish every four regulatory years.
    Eliminate Non-Resident Sport Fishery for Kings.
    Single Hook, Artfical lure/fly ONLY
    All Kings Landed must be retained as the Bag Limit.
    NO Catch and Release of King Salmon.
    No more than two passengers in any boat/vessel.

Plenty of room/opportunity for improvement. Now just who is going to present this to the BOF?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

i would sure like to here why the river went from C&R to bait & bonk in June, point blank????????? Its fishing like theres 150 in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Let's continue on with the list for the BOF to consider:
    Reduce the number of Fish Guides on the River to the 1970 Level.
    No Guide Boat sporting a Guide Decal allowed on the river Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays or Mondays
    Place Sport King Fishery on Lottery for Residents, one fish every four regulatory years.
    Eliminate Non-Resident Sport Fishery for Kings.
    Single Hook, Artfical lure/fly ONLY
    All Kings Landed must be retained as the Bag Limit.
    NO Catch and Release of King Salmon.
    No more than two passengers in any boat/vessel.

Plenty of room/opportunity for improvement. Now just who is going to present this to the BOF?
    I don't agree with any of these suggestions. However, while your at it the same proposal should be submitted for trout fishing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I don't agree with any of these suggestions. However, while your at it the same proposal should be submitted for trout fishing as well.
    Why's that? I have been told by the Professional Fish Bio's that the "trout" populations are phenomonal, highest ever recorded/documented. I would much prefer we focus on the Fish Stocks that are in Serious doubt of maintaining their stock. But...that is just me and I grown accustomed to how others might think differently.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Why's that? I have been told by the Professional Fish Bio's that the "trout" populations are phenomonal, highest ever recorded/documented. I would much prefer we focus on the Fish Stocks that are in Serious doubt of maintaining their stock. But...that is just me and I grown accustomed to how others might think differently.
    That's part of the problem....The trout populations are unprecidented in the river right now. Since the fishery managers try and get optimum yield for all salmon users, they need to focus on a variable that goes un-noticed most of the time, and that's the predator action of trout in the river. Sure we can let the 10-20 lb trout run wild and consume thousands of eggs and fry every year, but then we can't manage a fishery for optimum yield. I think 1S1K was reffering to submitting a proposal to liberalize the trout fishery to reduce their numbers.

I went out on the river for 2 hours yesterday evening and caught (2) Kings and lost one, that doesn't seem like poor fishing to me. Like I've said in previous posts, if you can't can't fish that doesn't mean they aren't there.

The first and foremost issue that needs to be resolved after this season, is not more regulations for Kenai King anglers, but rather making sure the sonar counter is accurately counting King salmon.

I am sick of hearing about doom and gloom!!!! People just relax and go fish, there's only 36 hours left!

Thanks, 1S1K, for a bit of reason on these boards!