Thread: dog rash with pictures...need input

Default dog rash with pictures...need input

Hey everyone, I know there are a lot of intelligent folks on this board who have been around dogs a long time and have seen a lot from a compound fracture to a rash. I'm posting some pictures of a rash I noticed on Banks this morning. I didn't notice it yesterday so I believe it developed late last night to early this morning. It appears to be an aggressive uniform rash in areas with minimum to no hair (including armpits). I'm guessing he must have laid in something that caused an allergic reaction because it is only on his under side. I checked his hide along his back and I do not see any evidence of the rash. Here are the pictures:

thanks for any information shared,

Richie

Those look like mosquito bites to me...pretty common in all non hairy areas.

If not skeeters, it could be a number of things including wet straw bedding causing skin allergies, etc... You can put some calamine or aloe vera on it and/or just wait it out, sometimes it will clear up on it's own..

Looks like a seborrhea rash that my mom's lab had as a pup. Had to get special shampoo from the vet to clear it up. If not that, looks to be some kind of allergic reaction. Have you tried benadryl? I'd recommend a vet visit if it lasts much longer. Doesn't look very comfortable for poor Banks.

If it does turn out to be mosquito bites or such, I recommend K9 Advantix. I get it from my vet - not cheap, but seems to work well to deter mosquitos, biting flies, etc.

CW

Looks like whitesox bites to me. Not sure what the real name is for the bug, but that's what I've always known them by. My dogs don't seem to scratch at them, but it looks weird.

Karen

Richie,
    I can't see the pictures (stupid work internet), but the description sounds exactly like something Gauge was treated for a couple of weeks ago. I took him to the vet and they did a skin scraping to make sure that it wasn't mange causing mites and then prescribed some anti-biotics (two different pills) that I had to give him twice a day for two weeks. The rash cleared up within a few days of starting the treatment. Good luck.

My lab had the same affliction last summer. They are insect/mosquito bites. My vet gave me a medicine/dog safe inscent repellent to apply to the fur in her neck. It was fairly cheap and it WORKED GREAT!! I dont remember the name though.... Its definetly not a rash though.

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    Richie,
    I can't see the pictures (stupid work internet), but the description sounds exactly like something Gauge was treated for a couple of weeks ago. I took him to the vet and they did a skin scraping to make sure that it wasn't mange causing mites and then prescribed some anti-biotics (two different pills) that I had to give him twice a day for two weeks. The rash cleared up within a few days of starting the treatment. Good luck.
    Nevermind...I'm home and can see the pictures now, but it's totally different so disregard.

I would not be to worried, I believe it is like "acne" but for dogs as my vet once described it. Ive seen it will younger dogs. It will usually go away, but you can but animax/panalog cream on it.

My Lab just had the same thing about a month ago. We took him into the vet and the vet said it was pretty much dog "achne". He gave us a medicine but said it would go away on its own. They said it was nothing to worry about.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

You can let it go and see what happens. No apparent swelling. If the dog begins to get hot spots, they open up an inflame or the dog willnot leave it alone, irritating more, then you have to worry about secondary infections. Best is to keep him on dry clean bedding. Check for any unusual smell, (yeasty/sour you'll know) and the the skin is not gummy or slimmy. Don't feel you have to bathe but one bath with a mild soap made for dogs, may not be a bad idea. Let him swim but dry him off before he crates. We had a bout of diagnosed puppy pimples from the lawn in Fla. Weird thing was the 7yr old yellow got it too. I think it was an insect/irritant from the grass.

Another issue is that even though most Chocolates are better bred these days, unlike the ChocXChocXChoc of the 1980s, they still sometimes have color gene related sensitivities. Our Molly is one of those. If it persists at the level it is, no worse/no better start, changing things one at a time and wait a few days, like blankets, then sleeping quarters, then food. Then let the vet have at it. Sometimes the vets will go nuts with a barage of tests and steroids to find out it something simple. http://www.alaskadognews.com

Another vote for bug bites. Every now and then my shorthair gets hammered by mosquitoes or whitesocks or some other bug. A friend had me convinced it was ringworm but the vet confirmed that it was bug bites.

My lab used to get a rash like that everytime he swam in the shallow ponds by the native hospital in Anch.I think it was from nasty water caused by all the geese (swimmers itch).

We have a dog that gets rashes from certain plants. Two vets in two states have instructed us to use over-the-counter Benedryl. Not the decongestant kind, just the simple antihistamine. It works very well. I guess allergic dogs are fairly common. It was news to me.

I've had dogs that get bitten by gnats or small flies that look like that. Camping at 9 mile at North Pole the dogs have gotten it, also along the Denali Hiway, Turnagain Pass, and the Mulchatna drainage. Some dogs are more affected than others. I've used benedril on the ones who have swelled up but mostly they don't. Hot sunny weather they get bitten worse than when we have our normal southcentral liquid sunshine.

wow, this thread has developed into a great dialogue. I know I've learned a lot and I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Update: The bumps have cleared up a lot. It looks like they are starting to dry up so it looks like he's good to go.

Again, I appreciate everyone giving their input.

Richie

We have stinging nettles in our area. Just about every Summer, Blues drags his belly through them. We use tea tree oil(melaluca) to make sure there are no secondary infections in the little blisters, because he scratches them like crazy.

Default Allergy

Have you or a neighbor fertilized lately? Both my dogs have an allergy to this when it is wet. Whether it be scotts or arctic gro it all gets them. Just give a bath!