Thread: Trail from Buffalo Mine Rd. to Sutton / Jonesville

Default Trail from Buffalo Mine Rd. to Sutton / Jonesville

Found a great trail this weekend! I was out looking for someplace to take novice riders ( visitors, guests, etc. ) for a fun day trip and stumbled across this trail. I really liked the trail as a place for those who aren't very experienced at riding, but still get them out into some beautiful scenery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that at the crossing where the bridge used to be? We looked at it last year and didn't feel comfortable trying to cross. I guess it's not as deep as it looked.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Well, I don't know if the bridge used to be there or not. It was my first time on the trail. However, it was very deep if you tried to cross upstream just a few feet. I followed along the edge of the little cascade (just off to my left in the photo), and it wasn't too bad. However, later on we did find a log bridge a little farther downstream. I don't know if that's the bridge you're thinking of. Here's a pic of the bridge....
    Attached Images Attached Images

There used to be a bridge where you drove through the stream. It fell down and was removed. You can still see the cement abutments there on the bank. It never seems to get too deep where you crossed next to the rock ledge but at times the stream has a high flow rate which can make it hazardous to cross there. There are several other access points to this trail for those times including the log bridge.

Rich in AK, thanks for the info. I always love finding new places to ride and learning about the history of the area, as well.

Ah- we never found the log bridge.

What are the trails like on the other side? What's the terrain like, and what types of points of interest?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The log bridge was about 1/4 mile downstream of the old bridge crossing. The trails on the E (?) side were great! Very easily negotiated, gravel bottomed, almost roadlike in some aspects. They lead back to some beautiful scenery with cliffs and lakes ( Wishbone lake, I think ? ) and another one that I didn,t see a name for on the map. Then you can keep going all the way to Sutton. There were some mudholes, but nothing was impassable (except a few of the bogs near the ends of the lakes, but they had ways around the bogs ).
    The trails on the W (?) side were shorter ( and didn't seem to actually go anywhere in particular ), but steep and kinda technical as you climbed straight up to the ridges along the base of the mountains.

The trail is easy with no hazards and the main point of interest is Wishbone Lake at the top end of the trail. We usually start at the Slipper Lake end of the trail and go up to Wishbone Lake from there.

This thread is about 5 years old... So I guess I'm a little late to the Party. Ive been exploring this trail system from the Palmer side..... I have found one place to cross moose creek just across where the pavement ends on buffalo mine road... I found another place about 2 miles upstream near the old buffalo mine, (Though that one would be a no go in the rainy season). I have made it to about a mile shy of the 17 mile Lake area its a very beautiful Area .... Does anyone have GPS coordinates of this log bridge? that would be handy info

Thanks

You can get to Wishbone Lake and also the 17 Mile lake very easily from the Jonesville mine starting point. There is also a lake there (slipper). You can hit all 3 in a day if you like.

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    You can get to Wishbone Lake and also the 17 Mile lake very easily from the Jonesville mine starting point. There is also a lake there (slipper). You can hit all 3 in a day if you like.
    Thank you... I have explored much of the area now... apperantly the 2 places I found to cross, are the only 2 that vehicles are permitted to cross due to the fact that Moose creek is an active salmon stream... The old bridge that was not for from pavement end at the campgrounds on Buffalo Mine Road ..but has since been taken down. I have rode these trails and Mapped a good percentage all the way from Boyd Road off Palmer Fish Hook all the way to 17 Mile Lakes........

Next Trip I will launch at Jonesville and see if I cant make my way as far as Coyote Lake.... These trails are extensive and have been in excellent shape thus far... most of the Private Land is well posted and has been spot on with Hunt Maps GPS Chip. I have been having a great time exploring my backyard... I live off of Falk and might even be able to ride the power line out to Jonesville .( Adventure for a later Date).
    Ive been keeping and eye out for places to make predator sets this fall.... it would be fun to call in a coyote maybe a lynx. As of yet I haven't noticed much sign. Ill get a better idea after the first snow.... that area is most likely fairly void of predators. The lack of rabbit poop isn't encouraging.

Ill keep working my way eastwards to Eureka ill either get a cat in the bag or put some miles on my 4 wheeler and Sled...Hell Ill take either

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    Thank you... I have explored much of the area now... apperantly the 2 places I found to cross, are the only 2 that vehicles are permitted to cross due to the fact that Moose creek is an active salmon stream... The old bridge that was not for from pavement end at the campgrounds on Buffalo Mine Road ..but has since been taken down. I have rode these trails and Mapped a good percentage all the way from Boyd Road off Palmer Fish Hook all the way to 17 Mile Lakes........

Next Trip I will launch at Jonesville and see if I cant make my way as far as Coyote Lake.... These trails are extensive and have been in excellent shape thus far... most of the Private Land is well posted and has been spot on with Hunt Maps GPS Chip. I have been having a great time exploring my backyard... I live off of Falk and might even be able to ride the power line out to Jonesville .( Adventure for a later Date).
    Ive been keeping and eye out for places to make predator sets this fall.... it would be fun to call in a coyote maybe a lynx. As of yet I haven't noticed much sign. Ill get a better idea after the first snow.... that area is most likely fairly void of predators. The lack of rabbit poop isn't encouraging.

Ill keep working my way eastwards to Eureka ill either get a cat in the bag or put some miles on my 4 wheeler and Sled...Hell Ill take either