Thread: Should I change my props?

Default Should I change my props?

So I have a 26 Hewes Pacific Cruiser with twin 150hp yamaha engines. So far I've been very happy with them but the last few times I've had a chance to really test them out. So with 4 guys on board, a weekends worth of gear, and a full load of fuel I hit the rev limiter on the engines. This isn't at less than full throttle but leaves me to wonder if I am a little under propped. The boat jumps out of the hole pretty well and I wondered if I should move up in props so I could maximize my performance and mileage. So I have 15.25inch by 15 pitch 3 blade stock yamaha aluminums on my boat. I found a good deal on 17 pinch 4 blade stainless. Would this be a good move? What do folks recommend? Stay where I'm at or move to something else to maximize efficiency without losing too much control wih the low end power for big water.

PM Sent Good Luck

Hey Chico. Your inbox appears to be full so I never got your message and can't reply to you.

I have a 2004 26' AK Searunner with 150s. I run Solas 3-blade stainless 14-1/4x17 props, top out about 44 mph, loaded - don't recall my top RPM with this setup. Good hole shot. Importantly, I can get on step with one motor, if the other is up. I'd check that out with your current props, and compare to any others. If you can't get on step with one motor, you are over-propped in my opinion, especially with 150s. I don't know the specs on the ones you are considering, but 17-pitch 4-blade may be a bit much, depending on the diameter. Try them before buying, if you can.

All things considered, I'm very glad I went with the stainless! Great gas mileage and all-around performance.

Chris

Stainless props are leaps & bounds above aluminum (which will flex/twist under load). Sounds like a good idea, the guy that suggested you try before you buy.
    Seems like the way to go is to get to your optimum RPM range according to the engine manufacturer with the props you're considering, you might see an improvement in fuel consumption as well.

The Yamaha Reliance series of stainless props are specifically designed for the Yamaha F150 outboard. I'd also suggest you try the props you have a lead on a good deal on but make sure you can try before you buy.

Sobie2

Thanks for all the advice. I'll start looking around and see if some folks will let me try out some props.

As to the question of getting on step with one motor, my current setup will do it. I'm going to have to keep the props I have now anyway as they're over a year old. That way I'll have backups and a prop to get my on step if I lose a motor. I bought this boat back in May and its a 2009. They're the stock props. Anyway, I'll try out a few and see what happens. Thanks again for the help.