Thread: Early bison hunt

Default Early bison hunt

Anyone lucky enough to draw Delta bison going to do the new early hunt? My mom drew this tag and just got her paperwork in the mail. Curious how much difference there is in mid summer hide vs. October/November hide.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'd be interested in the answer to that too. I suspect it is that the main part of the hide is less full/long, but the 'fro is just the same.

Can you give a little more information - Are some people assigned a start time in the summer? Hadn't heard anything on this and my wife has a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Can you give a little more information - Are some people assigned a start time in the summer? Hadn't heard anything on this and my wife has a permit.
    here is the ADN story

http://www.adn.com/2010/07/25/138109...unt-opens.html

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Thank You for the link - Out of town and didn't see the article.

No need to rush to Delta as the herd is still on Fort Greely.

I also drew a bull tag, which means I can hunt early as well. If I get the chance, then I will be going early. If you drew a cow tag, then you have to wait till Oct. As for the hide, I can not afford to do a mount like that, so the hide is not as important to me. I am going to get a European mount. I am excited to start hunting these huge animals and look forward to the challenge that lies ahead. Enjoy yhtis opportunity, because it might only happen once. Good luck all

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    No need to rush to Delta as the herd is still on Fort Greely.
    Have they crossed the river this early? I thought they waited for colder temps creating lower river water levels.

Thanks to fin an feather for a 4 day notice to hunt early. After talking with people in Delta the bison will be going into rut between now an mid August. I for one don't want my meat with a rut taste to it. It took to long to draw this tag and can't put in for another 10 years. I'm not after a trophy either just meat. And yes the hides will not be good till later. They are trying to appease the farmers after years of promising them a fence to keep the bison out of their fields. The early hunt is bulls only and only on ag land. Now try get a farmer to let you go into his field before he harvests, good luck on that one. The bison do enough damage.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

This hunt is for people that drew permits this year, it is not a registration hunt! Bull Bison do rut from late July thru August, but unlike Moose Caribou, Elk and Deer, Bison don't get a rut taste they just get rubbery and it is more prevalent in bulls 7years and older, 3 to 4 year olds are a little better eating. Also, Fish and Game never promised to fence the Bison or the Farmers fields, it has been a free ranging Bison herd for 82 years long before the Delta Barley Project was conceived and given up on by the Division of Ag, and it is the farmers responsibility to fence their property not the state. The farmers are willing to let people hunt on there land if the hunters ask for permission, act responsibly and not like a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by rezuhdentxpert View Post
    This hunt is for people that drew permits this year, it is not a registration hunt!
    Who said anything about registration?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Who said anything about registration?

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a good rumor to start eh?

Imagine every one showing up for permits at F&G
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here