Thread: Fishing etiquette

Default Fishing etiquette

I was down at centennial park and I can say for the most part the folks down their were great you hook into a fish they ask if you needed help netting them and help you out if you said if you did. Now onto the other part, we were down on Saturday and my question what do you all do with people wading into the river and they are obviously further out than everyone else, causing the fish to go out further. I wanted to yell at these jokers so bad but held my tongue. The other group are the ones who show up you get out of the water example I was rigging my buddies pole while he fished with mine and some guy jumps in my hole and he saw me fishing it, what can you do nothing I guess. Or better yet they jump in between you and another person when the whole bank is open I told some folks who did this hey the bank to my right is all open. They moved on to that opening. I guess I need to invest in a boat so I can go to holes no else can get to. So my question how do you guys deal with this? I know I ask if it is okay to jump in I guess I like to think Iím courteous.

This is kind of like someone jumping in the "express line" at checkout counters. Sure the sign says 8, 9 or 20 items but they've got a bunch more.

About the only thing you can do is offer information on remedial math classes at the local community college - but that usually get nowhere.

The best approach is to be like those who were helpful and try to forget the others. You are there to have fun not repeat the same ole crxx as work.

A few years ago we used to run into this one group of tourists that acted like the river was theirs by barging in between us and trying to crowd us out as well as jumping in a spot while we were landing fish. This happened for 2 or three years.
    On the third year we started treating them like they treated us.
    When they complained we told them "Payback's a B!tch, huh?"
    Haven't seen them since. I guess it's ok to treat other people like that but when it happens to them they take their ball and go home crying.

Years ago there were several of us fishing a steelhead run in Ontario.
    We were standing on the bank so as not to spook the fish and get a proper drift.
    Two morons show up and walk right out in front of us while we were actively fishing.
    I asked them "Do you mind we are trying to fish here?" the answer from one was "No I don't mind" while laughing.
    Wrong answer!! I whipped him upside the ear with my 15' float rod. he got the message and left.

Another instance happened on the Kenai. I was fishing a small island when a driftboat full of locals (one with a fish on) rowed right into the spot I was drifting and dropped anchor. I was very tempted to walk out and cut the anchor rope but I just kept on fishing (my float on the outside of their boat and as I followed the drift down stream I proceded to knock the hats off each one. They never said a word. After they left the couple that was fishing about 100 yds down river from me (there was nobody between us ) said they couldn't believe what that idiot did.

There are a lot of people with no manners in this world and there are alot that don't think before they do something. If someone walks way out into the river all you can do is explain to them how this effects the fish. If you tell them that it pushes them further out into the current making it harder to catch them maybe they will listen, maybe not. If they don't just do what I do and catch the fish resting at their feet and when the fish explodes out of the waters hosing them down they may get the message, or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

There are a lot of people with no manners in this world and there are alot that don't think before they do something.
    It's not a matter of having manners, these are people that just don't give a poop about ruining someone's day.
    I have accidentally casted and hooked some of them.

When I came back to Alaska after the Military, I fished from the bank my first 3 years. While Snagging for Kings on the Seward Beach (Now a big Parking lot) a boat came out of the harbor, anchored up and was casting into shore while about 50 of us were on shore casting out. They got tangled with a few folks and really got folks upset. One old guy next to me, says to me, watch this. He went back to his Motorhome, grabbed a surf casting rod and with the first cast, put his treble hook right in the boat. They left rather abruptly and the old guy got a standing ovation. To bad he didn't land one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I was down at centennial park and I can say for the most part the folks down their were great you hook into a fish they ask if you needed help netting them and help you out if you said if you did. Now onto the other part, we were down on Saturday and my question what do you all do with people wading into the river and they are obviously further out than everyone else, causing the fish to go out further. I wanted to yell at these jokers so bad but held my tongue. The other group are the ones who show up you get out of the water example I was rigging my buddies pole while he fished with mine and some guy jumps in my hole and he saw me fishing it, what can you do nothing I guess. Or better yet they jump in between you and another person when the whole bank is open I told some folks who did this hey the bank to my right is all open. They moved on to that opening. I guess I need to invest in a boat so I can go to holes no else can get to. So my question how do you guys deal with this? I know I ask if it is okay to jump in I guess I like to think Iím courteous.
    Getting a boat may not be any different. While fishing the King run on the Salcha last weekend the boats were stacked deep. Had more than one drop their anchor on my lures. The sad truth is there is more demand than there is resource and we have to try to share and be civil. Although I did get a might testy at the guy that anchored 2 rod lengths from me. When I can read the surgeons generals warning on your beer can your boat is too close.....
    Even worse when it is grown men trying to out maneuver kids and the elderly.

Steve