Thread: How far up the Kenai is the 2nd run???

Default How far up the Kenai is the 2nd run???

I want to go down and fish for Reds this Thursday. We floated this last Thursday from the Ferry down to Jims Landing and there weren't many fresh fish in the river. I'd like to catch some fresh good eating fish. How far up can I expect them by next Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I want to go down and fish for Reds this Thursday. We floated this last Thursday from the Ferry down to Jims Landing and there weren't many fresh fish in the river. I'd like to catch some fresh good eating fish. How far up can I expect them by next Thursday?
    Based on where I was fishing the middle, I would say the slug is lost in Skilak Lake...so fishing the Upper by Thursday will probably be pretty good...

I saw a few nice chromers get caught at the confluence on Friday, but most were 1st run fire engines...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

The first big batch are already past Kenia Keys which is river mile 42. If they follow previous year trends should be another big batch showing up by the end of the week. The Russian should be a good bet by Thursday as some of that first batch will be there.

Based on this new information; How high is the river levels now with the amount of rain the peninsula recieved in the past 24 hours....??? This could have an adverse effect on catching fish I would think.

I just got back from camping at Skilak Lake and fishing the middle Kenai. On Saturday I noticed about one fish per second surfacing just off the lower Skilak boat launch. This leads me to believe that there are a lot of reds in Skilak at this time.