Thread: Cold smoking Salmon

Default Cold smoking Salmon

Forecast was to rain all day, so first order of business was to set up the pavilion tent in the driveway. Then set up table, chairs, hot smoker (Smoke Vault) to create the smoke, cold smoker (Little Chief with no heat element), and aluminum flexi dryer hose to route the smoke. Then I add a cheap little 110v fan and remote temperature sensor inside the cold smoker.
    (%%%%)

Make some smoke in the hot smoker, and adjust heat plus lengthen/shorten the flexi pipe to achieve exactly 85F inside the cold smoker. This cordless readout screen shows the smoker temperature at the top and ambient temperature at the bottom:

(continued, next post)
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 07-25-2010 at 17:21. Reason: to fix post with dumb extra percent signs to get around vBulletin bug

Default Cold Smoking Salmon, continued

(Second post of two)
    %%%%
    The salmon has been curing for 30 hours, with its cure changed to something different every 6 hours. Reference "Scotch Smoking" in the smoking bible (there is only one of these: "Smoking Salmon and Trout" by Jack Whelan).

Put the cured fillets into the cold smoker:

And maintain exactly 85F inside. This gets challenging as the ambient temperature changes.

24 short hours later, its done.

Also, if I cure more than can fit in my cold smoker, I put the excess in my hot smoker and kipper it at a smoker temperature of 125F for 4 hours, and it looks like this:

If you have the time(a lot of time), the best way to do it is hang it outside under a tarp till it cures(checking every cpl of hours to ensure no flies are laying eggs). Once cured with the crust(generally 2-3days), move to the rafters of a smoke shack and let smoke for 25-30 days. You will have strips that will last you the entire winter. Of course you will need weather that cooperates with you, if its too rainy and cold it takes too long for it to cure.

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    If you have the time(a lot of time), the best way to do it is hang it outside under a tarp till it cures(checking every cpl of hours to ensure no flies are laying eggs). Once cured with the crust(generally 2-3days), move to the rafters of a smoke shack and let smoke for 25-30 days. You will have strips that will last you the entire winter. Of course you will need weather that cooperates with you, if its too rainy and cold it takes too long for it to cure.
    (Excuse my green horness) but hanging under a tarp is to be done after salting and instead of using a portable smoker, you use/build a small smoke house? (I'm new to smoking but have access to a small brick structure I could set up for a cold smoke.) I'm also interested in a more rustic less fussy cure recipe..as simple as possible. Thanks for any info given. btw, great set-up FamilyMan

Default more rustic, less fru fru recipes to smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Salmonberry View Post
    I'm also interested in a more rustic less fussy cure recipe..as simple as possible.
    Sure, here's an easy one that does quite well:

Put enough non-iodized salt into water to where some won't melt in; this means its reached its solubility point. If you'e unsure try floating a potato; if it floats you're done; if not, add more salt and stir more.

So you now have 3+ gal. of supersalt solution. Add one cup white sugar (no more; it counteracts the salt) and then soak you fillets in there 30 to 60 minutes depending on thickness. Dry them out with a fan, then smoke'm'

And if you want the really rustic smoker recipe for big game, let me know that. It was taught to me by an 85 year old man close to 2 decades ago. It will salt your winter meats so well that refrigeration is unnecessary.