Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Simms waders - Cabelas Bargain Cave deal

Default Opinions on Simms waders - Cabelas Bargain Cave deal

Cabelas has Simms Watershed waders on sale in their bargain cave $299 marked down to $199. What are peoples opinion on their waders? Worth the money? 30% off seems like a great deal. My old Hodgman neoprenes are ready for replacement.

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...117&hasJS=true
    Last edited by GD Yankee; 07-25-2010 at 14:59. Reason: grammar

They're decent waders, a good buy at that price but overpriced at full pop.

One thing I notice in your post----- same thing that happened to me in another thread and a definite glitch in the new site software. If you hit the percent symbol on your keyboard it appears as it should in your quick reply window, but you get 30% in the posted text.

Moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    They're decent waders, a good buy at that price but overpriced at full pop.

One thing I notice in your post----- same thing that happened to me in another thread and a definite glitch in the new site software. If you hit the percent symbol on your keyboard it appears as it should in your quick reply window, but you get 30% in the posted text.

Moderators?
    They are aware of the percent sign issue and are waiting for a software patch to fix it.

Just a word on chest waders, I bought a pair with a zipper down the front. I will never wear anything else, so nice to take a wizz without stripping... Great for the older frequent flyer guys like me...

Steve

Good to know on the glitch.

As for the zippers, yeah, long as they continue to work.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good to know on the glitch.

As for the zippers, yeah, long as they continue to work.
    When the zipper starts leaking they become JUNK deep waders and I buy knew chest waders. Better than wet socks when I can't get them off in time.

Steve

Thanks, guys. Yah, I noticed that percent thing just now. I'll look around for the zipper deal.

Those would be great fishing waders. I just like the zippered ones because when I'm float hunting I spend hours in them. Simms G4s are on my wish list.

http://www.riverbum.com/Simms-G4-Zip...ngfoot-Waders/

It's only money and I see how my kids spend theirs. I tell them every time I buy something that I'm spending their inheritance. LOL

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Those would be great fishing waders. I just like the zippered ones because when I'm float hunting I spend hours in them. Simms G4s are on my wish list.

http://www.riverbum.com/Simms-G4-Zip...ngfoot-Waders/

It's only money and I see how my kids spend theirs. I tell them every time I buy something that I'm spending their inheritance. LOL

Steve
    That's funny Steve! You know how the saying goes, you can buy cheap three or four times or buy once and be done with it. I've got some William Joseph waders and love them. I've had to patch a few holes this summer, but I like to think it's because I fish more then the average joe. I'm definitely gonna buy new for next summer, probably some Simms convertables...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

My Simms waders are by far the best most comfortable waders I have ever owned. I doubt I will ever purchase anything else.
    My G3's are now 6 years old and the only leak I have had was a small tear in the seat I got from a shap point on a raft rowing frame. They are starting to look worn but don't leak. A set of G4's will be their replacement I think.

I bought a pair of Simms waders for $99 at the KC, MO Cabela's Bargain cave and am very happy with them, no issues. Can't remember what model they are, no zippers, usual retail was $299.

Since I've never worn a pair of Simms, the smallest size Cabela's has is a medium. They would fit my shoe size (about 10.5), but the inseam and waist would be pretty big on me. Any comments on sizing preferences? Shoe size more important than waist/inseam?

Foot size tops my list. If they're too long in the inseam, just pull them up and use a wading belt. They make custom sizes, but that puts you in a whole nuther price league.

Simms does have a custom option.
    They will put what ever size bootie on what ever size waders for a $40 charge.
    I'm short and round so ordering larger sized waders usually come with big clown sized booties.
    I ordered mine custom and have the right waist, inseam and bootie size.
    If you are serious about fishing in comfort talk to a local Simms dealer and order them up custom.
    The online/big box stores generally have a generic stock of waders that do not usually include tall, king etc.
    Have a look around the Simms website and check out all the different sizes and configurations they offer.
    You can alsways try some waders on locally to see how they fit before you buy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Cabelas has Simms Watershed waders on sale in their bargain cave $299 marked down to $199. What are peoples opinion on their waders? Worth the money?
    Not familiar with the Rivershed model. I've owned Guide (G3, Classic Guide) models which are very tough.
    My daughter has fished some Freestones, an entry-level ($199) wader. She doesn't spend much time busting through alders or sliding down steep, gravel banks but they've held up well. Cabelas ad says the waders are 3-layer GoreTex and they seem to have a number of good features - 5 layers on the legs (tough), convertible to waist highs, and a hand warmer pouch.

Not sure on the Cabelas stuff but know how my Simms preform, Great!! At least 200 days, 4yrs in them without much trouble. The stocking foot seams were starting to separate and sent back to Simms. $30 for new feet, fixed any pin holes and will be good for another 200 days. While worth the $170 I paid for a closeout model.

I bought the G-4's this year. I wish I had done it sooner. Without a doubt the most comfortable waders I have ever worn. Combined with the Simms wading jacket and I was in the rain for 2 straight days this weekend, when I got back to camp I was just as dry as when I had left
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I bought my wife the Rivershed models awhile back and they're nice waders. For that price, it seems like it's a good deal.
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 07-27-2010 at 13:49. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    That's funny Steve! You know how the saying goes, you can buy cheap three or four times or buy once and be done with it. I've got some William Joseph waders and love them. I've had to patch a few holes this summer, but I like to think it's because I fish more then the average joe. I'm definitely gonna buy new for next summer, probably some Simms convertables...

Fish On!
    I got kids to feed still....I am trying to find a way to win some SIMMS G4?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Cabelas has Simms Watershed waders on sale in their bargain cave $299 marked down to $199. What are peoples opinion on their waders? Worth the money? 30% off seems like a great deal. My old Hodgman neoprenes are ready for replacement.

Thanks,

Dave

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...117&hasJS=true
    opinion - Simms don't fit me bcz the legs and chest are narrow relative to height and don't allow me much layering; But who cares? If you don't use them outside and don't like them, you can send them back to Cabela's, I think...

worth money? - yes....cheap is good....all waders leak; even the best ones - your tolerance for when they first leak depends more on your ability to find/fix leaks, than the quality of waders. Save your dough and buy a case of aquaseal and some alcohol. I'm not saying you can't get 200 days out of waders; but I can say I've never got more than 20 days without a first leak.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I bought the G-4's this year. I wish I had done it sooner. Without a doubt the most comfortable waders I have ever worn.
    Same here, used mine in SE Alaska in May for first time. Hiked about 15 miles up and down a river and felt like I had on jeans and hiking boots. Best money I ever spent. The custom size and booties cost a bit more, but Simms are great folks. I work out of state and had the waders sent to my home where I was going to be for a few days before flying to SE in May. Got home, custom waders didn't fit. I am 6'6" 280 and went right by the chart, but didn't have enough leg room. Couldn't bend my knees well enough for getting in and out of my Ally pack canoe or raft. I called Simms figuring I was shet out of luck. It says word for word, custom orders can't be returned. I was understanding to this and why. However, I call Simms, the dude says he will custom make another pair of G4's that day, water test overnight, and ship out overnight the following day. In less than 48 hours they made a set of custom waders and got them from Montana to North Carolina. They arrived 2 hours before I was driving up to DC for our flight to Ketchikan. I was simply told to send them the ill fitting waders upon my return from Alaska and to have a great trip. I have not seen customer service like that in a long time. Safe to say, Simms made a loyal customer out of me. Got the bottle opener in my pocket to prove it. Ha ha..

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast