Thread: Filleting salmon while still out on the PWS salt

Default Filleting salmon while still out on the PWS salt

I know this is a stupid question and I should already know the answer;

What do you have to retain after you fillet out your salmon while your still on the boat out on the salt in PWS. Anything? Nothing? Damifino.

I read through the regs several times, the only reference I found was on the Kenai area in freshwater.

Earlier years I'd bonk em, bleed em, and after about 20 mins I'd gut them, then after we got home I'd fillet them out.

This last trip out my passangers wanted to fillet them while we were inbound to save time. I said "sure, but I vaguely remember we have to keep something so F&G can verify what we caught."

So we kept the carcasses and tossed them in the belly hold, just to make sure. Good god, what a bloody nasty mess! I'd really like to NOT do that.

Any ideas?
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

As far as I know it only Halibut. We do all our cleaning before we return.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

When I went out last year, we came about half way in, stopped, and filleted them and dumped the carcasses in the water. Seems pretty easy to know how many fish you caught (2 fillets=1 fish). I went out with my cousin and his roommate who used to run a charter and it seemed like that was the status quo for them on all trips.

Cool, thanks!

I'll start doing that now, it'll save a lot of mess back home and keep the garbage can from stinking quite so badly.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

As I recall as long as you fillet them in a manner so that you can tell how many fish you caught, then you are OK. For instance, I would not take the skins off and cube them for canning on the water, but if you do 2 fillets for salmon and 4 fillets for halibut, you should be fine.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

two fillets per salmon, four fillets per halibut and don't skin them

I think unless there is a size limit (lingcod) you are good, keep the skin on though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

good info! good to know about the skin

Just to keep any SE fishermen from getting confused..

In SE, filleting salmon, rockfish, and ling at sea is a big no no. Don't do it. It's usually by emergency order, every year.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...-10%28F%29.pdf

Maybe it's just me, but I greatly prefer to gut/gill and pack on ice while on the boat, and then wait to fillet until right before packaging. This way, I can hose them down thoroughly before filleting and not wash out the meat. The fillets come off clean and are laid skin-down on newspaper. Any blood/slime is wiped (not sprayed) from the meat/gut cavity with paper towel. They come out of the freezer way less "fishy" than if they spend significant time with meat surface in contact with slime.