Thread: anyone know where you can rent pack horses ?

Default anyone know where you can rent pack horses ?

I lived in wyoming for a few years and they had places where you could rent a pack mule/horse, does anyone know if/where you can rent pack horses? thanks.

Doogie,
    Are you asking about renting horses that will be solely under your care and control?
    'cause if that is what you are suggesting....then Nope, no idea of where to look. And I do not believe you will find horses that are purely "for rent" here in the great north. (perhaps another forum member will have a suggestion for you.)

If you are asking about contracting a licensed transported who uses horses...then there could be a couple of suggestions.

So please give me, give us, a little better idea or understanding of what you have in mind.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis
    I think he is just wanting to rent the horses, quite a few of the trail ride ranches in the mountain states, rent the horses to hunters in the fall. I heard of someone from sterling or seward that did this. I'll do some checking.

jwolf

Unless youíre a seasoned packer, know the difference between a Decker and a Sawbuck, have solid experience packing a variety of horses in a variety of situations including in the state of Alaska than your answer would be no. I have never heard of any horse outfit renting or leasing pack horses unless it is between horse outfitters or friends borrowing from friends.
    If you are a experienced packer needing a horse than usually you can get horses to use that have problems or just need miles put on em but, personally, I like to KNOW the horses going into the string. You donít want to find out your horse is going to blow through the roof right after you put your moose quarters on him/her.. Know what I mean?

yes there were ranchers that would rent their pack animals, very experienced horses. you pay good money for them and their tack. The contract states basically you break it you buy it, either the vet or the cost of the animal and of course you pay for their food. If there are no folks here that do it, any good trasportation services? , you just call them when you have an animal down and they'll pack it out? any idea of cost and good folks who offier the service? thanks for the help.

jwolf

Well, most I know consider the experience to be the responsibility of the people working them. Horse packing is no easy trick and although they make saddle paniers you wont get a rack into them..
    What area are you looking at getting into and/or packing out of?

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    yes there were ranchers that would rent their pack animals, very experienced horses. you pay good money for them and their tack. The contract states basically you break it you buy it, either the vet or the cost of the animal and of course you pay for their food. If there are no folks here that do it, any good trasportation services? , you just call them when you have an animal down and they'll pack it out? any idea of cost and good folks who offier the service? thanks for the help.

I lived in wyoming for a few years and they had places where you could rent a pack mule/horse, does anyone know if/where you can rent pack horses? thanks.
    I don't know of anyone that leases or rents their stock. You might consider contacting a transporter that uses pack animals. They would at least have the capability of putting you in an area inaccessible for other methods of transportation.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

I would get 3 horses in Colorado for 450$ total for 4 weeks during bow season....good money well spent. I used my tack because I didn't like the rental tack. Almost all of the horses I used were very good horses - did get a couple bad apples that durn near kilt me tho. The biggest trouble I had was when on rough trails - their horses were not shod well - and I had specifically requested (at an extra expense if done) that they be new shoes and glued too.

Here in AK - I am not so sure that I would like to take care of them - I had really good meadows and was always able to hang good high lines or just let a couple go to feed and water and rotate them (ya ya - I know not spose to let them go).

In the end I prefered to just backpack my camp in and hunt afoot. I was always worrying whether those horses would still be on the highline when I was out hunting....and packing is a ton of work if you have hard trails. One trail I spent 3 days in the summer with a chainsaw clearing just so I could get in to the area with my horses later on during bowseason....lots of work.

bow hunting elk in september is a blast in the pants, my favorite hunting next to sheep. i like elk for the bugeling in your face action and sheep for the sheer country they live in. Both are physically and mentally challending, i only wish rocky mountain elk were up here and i would have my cake and eat it too! I think a transporter is deffintly what im looking for but it is quite expensive, i'm sure its a great service and can get you into prime country. thanks for all the responces.

I checked on rates at one time and they went like this.....

$300 per horse per day. $125 for the Wrangler per day. Typical pack string is from 3 to 6 horses depending on where your going and what your trying to get. So, figure for moose, humans doing the walking not riding, and packing in camp $1025 in and $1625 out (with 1 moose plus camp). So about $2600 for the round trip, split between 2 or 3 guys is spendy, but not crazy. Horses can put you in great areas if you look and do your homework. I know of a couple liscensed transporters, but have the feeling I see many non liscensed transporters packing people in and out.

yes that sounds alright i think i would do my legs and pack camp and have a phone and call when i need a pull out would cut cost in half. i dont need a 5 star camp in, a one star and big paddles would do me just fine.

... have a phone and call when i need a pull out would cut cost in half.
    Not as easy as it sounds Doog.. The few outfitters there are will be busy and not waiting like cabbies at the airport!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    So about $2600 for the round trip
    You could probably do a fly out for that price, right? Is there an advantage to a pack string other their ability to handle some terrain that may be inaccessible by plane?

I know someone with horses who doesn't hunt and I think she'd let me use one animal. Since I haven't worked with horses since I was in my early teens I'll probably stick with float hunting this year.

Doog, I don't know where you are going, but I was just on a ride a couple weeks ago and the outfit said that they do some drop camps. It's www.alaskahorsemen.com and they are in cooper landing. Nice people, as far as I know. Quite a few horses and you could always try them out with a trail ride like I did. Went from Cooper Landing to Crescent Lake. Took a good part of a day. Lunch at the lake. I've got them in mind for the future. I can certainly use a ride myself at times.

Mike