Thread: Converting a win mdl 70 to .280?

Default Converting a win mdl 70 to .280?

Ok guys, I am considering making a .280 on a win 70 and want to know would it matter if I bought a .270 or a 7MM to do this on ? Any difference that would be a plus?
    Thanks, never had a gun rechambered ....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Big difference between .270 and 7mm (Rem Mag???). If you are wanting to make a .280 out of it, start with a .270, or 30-06. The 7mm Rem Mag has a larger bolt face than a 280, among other things than will not allow it to work. When re-chambering rifles, try to get a donor action as close to the parent case as you can. The most economical route would be to find a 280 M70 and buy it, though it might not shoot as well as if you had put a nice after market barrel on. Wouldn't be much difference as far as hunting accuracy.

I'm thinking you might just consider building one from scratch unless you had a spare M70 action just lying about.

Something like a MRC 1999 (M70 type) barrelled action and a decent stock might give you better results for not a bunch more cash... If you buy a M70 and then spend the $$$ to rebarrel it would be a lot of cash for a small difference in performance. You might recover some $$$ selling your old barrel but it would still be quite a chunk out of pocket.

Thanks Tom & Hodgeman,
    Perhaps Win will come out with one in 280 when they get rolling? I like the browing Xbolt as well and they have one already in 280 soooo that may be my route to go as well...
    I thought the 7mm had a larger bolt face but was not sure - I appreciate the input!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Check gunbroker.com

Usually a few like new M70 280's on there.

Default See if you can find a Featherweight!

I got a featherweight classic Model 70 in 280 Rem. They made it for 5 or 6 years I believe. Nice gun and quite collectible. If your into that. Good choice on caliber 280 is one of my favorites.