Thread: Reports please!!

Default Reports please!!

lets get down to it hows the fishin?

All depends where you are and where you want to be?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Straight out of "Zen and the Art of Dipnetting"..... of course, written by thewhop.

Skipping straight to page 42 there, we also find: "Be the fish..."

BE... The fish. That about sums it up.you can toss the book after you get past page 42
    As fer that young fellow that wants to know how the fishing is. Gr8fl called me ten minutes ago and he had 3 fish on the morning low tide. He is going back out so I will know more in a few hours. High tide is where you want to be, in a boat anywho. He did slow yesterday morning but did well on the incoming tide. I imagine today will be the same.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Talked to only one Kenai boat-netter yesterday evening. They put in 3 hours for 28 fish. They did better the previous couple days sport fishing the river up in Soldotna. I expected the weekend traffic to be miserable, so I stayed away the last 2 days. I'll be going out for this evening's tide as I figure most of the AVWW's (Anchorage-Valley Weekend Warriors) will be gone.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I was out in a boat yesterday on Kenai and got 55 in about 4 hrs. We did throw some small ones back. Tons of boat traffic!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Default gr8fl's July 23-25 2010 Kenai River Report

Friday, July 23
    Fished the Kenai by 12' skiff with AKArcher. Dropped his friend at the north shore of the mouth first.
    Results
    6am to 6pm:

• AKArcher-5
    • gr8fl-2
    • friend at the mouth-10

AKArcher's friend's permit was filled, so they called it a day. I took a nap and went out later, pulling in an additional 3.

Friday total for 16 hours=5

Saturday, July 24
    Outgoing tide:

Incoming tide

Saturday total=47

Sunday, July 25
    Outgoing tide:

Incoming tide:

• 15 for full permits. I was done by 6pm.

Sunday total=18

Total for 3 days=70

Discussion

• Best fishing was on the incoming tide. You had to hunt to find them, but once you did, things got pretty inneresting.
    • Hot spots for me were the two inside corners: the point across from the cannery and the point at the gas line crossing. On Saturday, quite a few of the fish were also caught along the north bank of the river upstream of the gas line crossing, even up to the bridge.
    • Many of the fish I caught were very shallow. I'd bump my net along the bottom as close to the bank as I could get. Brought the fish in the boat, pulled out of there and ran upstream a little ways, extracting the fish from the net, then go through the spot and do it again.
    • Two of the fish must have been sleeping. They were totally still in the net until I brought them aboard.
    • Fish size was mostly monstrous with some small ones mixed in. Caught one good-sized silver and one humpy.
    • Saw one king caught at the gas line corner.

Reflections

• After fishing all day Friday and only catching 5 fish, I decided that I didn't like fishing anymore. I was ready to quit and take my toy boat home, except it was way down the muck and I was cold and wet and hungry and tired. Crashed in the driver's seat of the truck for a few hours.
    • After catching 47 on Saturday, I was colder and wetter and hungrier and tireder, but I did have fun. I wanted to call it a day, but kept catching fish on the north bank below the bridge. Finally got one all wrapped up in the prop, beached the boat, got out the fish, repaired the hole, and made one final fishless pass to the quitting stick. Still wanted to go home, but the boat was way down the muck, and when I called my wife, she said "You only need 18 more." Crashed in the driver's seat of the truck for a few hours.
    • Sunday was smoking hot in the rodeo across from the cannery. Then it fizzled out and I only needed one more. Made 2 fishless passes to the quitting stick on the bank, and prayed to God for one more fish. Decided to run upriver to the gas line point. Nailed one within 20 seconds in the shallows. Headed for the bridge just after high tide, so I didn't have to drag the boat up through the muck.
    • Drove back through the storm Sunday night/Monday morning. Had to stop and sleep at the lake at mile 60, then Tern Lake, and finally Girdwood Station.

So there you go. Will work for food.

~tr

Gr8fl,

Excellent report. Hard core dip netter.

Tim

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

gr8fl
    Appreciate your very informative post.That's a big part of what these forum's should be.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Gr8fl, Excellent report. Hard core dip netter. Tim
    Ya, I was going to say so too, but the report didn't come with any graphs, and I was getting used to those. Just kidding; love your posts gr8fl.