Thread: outboard jet water leak?

Default outboard jet water leak?

hi all, i gave the jet a hose flush(threaded fitting back of motor) after coming back from the ocean, and noticed a water leak above the jet leg!.....normaly i fish lakes, so i haven't done this before, so is this normal or is something leaking inside?...you can see the leak just above the "easy steer" bolt(dark spot)....this is a 2008 merc/40 hp jet" ..we are off to the queen charlottes for 3 weeks(leave friday night) and am a bit nervous now.thanks for any help....larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Default leak

It looks to me like its the water bowing past your water pump / waterpump pickup tube... mine looks similar when I hook up freshwater flush hose to the engine. (2000 Yam 4strk Jet) As long as you get a pee stream @ the tell tale when the engine is running, I don't think I'd worry.

Absolutely no problem. Normal for this to leak there. Enjoy your trip.
    BK

whew!! thanks guys!!you're the best..you wouldn't believe the worst case senarios that have been going through my head with only 5 days to go!!...........thanks a million larry AND the boss-- Linda

You might want to check your bolts holding the jet unit to the motor. I had water coming out the right side of my motor ( looked like a 3 inch fan) where the jet attaches to the motor and it was casued by the bolts lossening up. On the trip home from the river one of the bolts had fallen out, worked its way through the impeller and was laying on top of the grates by the time I got home. I would never of found the bolt until it was to late if I had not raised the moter and check if there was any rocks to clean out.

thanks MC, but all is good...i had to bring the boat in anyway to check on a power issue with the jet,..,,,would bogg down at full throttle giving me only about 10 knots,,,,they found a faulty coil(warranty) so now am good to go.....we are in prince rupert RV campsite right now, waitng for the morning ferry over to the queen charlottes !...hope to report back in a few days with some fish??.....will be over there for 14 days,,,,later larry