Thread: New to duck hunting

Default New to duck hunting

I have never duck hunted and would like to give it a shot this year. I have an 18 ft jet boat and am looking for just some general waterways to hunt. I live in Fairbanks and don't have a dog. Any help would be appreciated!

Best advice would be to find someone who doesn't have a boat but has experience and a well trained dog. I wouldn't hunt without a dog-too many lost birds and watching my Labs eyes when she sees a flock of ducks coming in is one of the most enjoyable parts of waterfowling for me. Good luck
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

like TriIron said, if someone has a dog then link up with them and you'll be able to put some birds in the bag but if not don't let that stop you. There are plenty of areas to hunt some ducks/geese especially if you have a boat. Minto is a good area to hunt and there is a lot of water to hunt out there. There are also some lakes down there in delta but the best advice is to go out and get that boat in the water prior to 1 September so you have a solid game plan for the opener.

Richie

I wish I lived closer to you-I have everything but a boat!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

adukhnt i just moved up to the chugiak area and brought a bunch of dekes and i am pretty good at calling been duck hunting for about 14 years. i got a buddy that has a boat maybe we can go out and do some huntin this fall. have not done the alaska duck huntin thing yet but got the stuff to do it with. i am thinkin about going to the du banquet thats comming up.

whats the best way to access minto flats o;n a boat? I've been down murphy dome road and it is pretty rough for hauling a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by akhuntrzd View Post
    whats the best way to access minto flats o;n a boat? I've been down murphy dome road and it is pretty rough for hauling a boat.
    I think that info has been posted on here a few years ago. Run down the Tanana and then find the access into the Chat or a slough on the north bank and head in. Jets can get bogged down in the weeds.

There are other options up there with a jetboat. Get out onto the Tanana and explore up from the Chena to the flood control project area at NP. When the migration starts you will find birds migratiing up river to get south. Look now for sand bars that make pools and other safe roosting spots. Look for sloughs on the south bank.

You'll want to stay away from the south Cushman area...lots of partiers and folks shooting. Even out on an island it's very loud & dangerous....not to mention worthless.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Quote Originally Posted by akhuntrzd View Post
    It's not that rough, it just takes about an hour or so to bounce down to the bottom. I've been in there twice this year with no problems.

How big was the boat you were hauling?

18 ft with an 80 horse johnson. Tuesday there was probably ten boats at the bottom. Check out a thread in the fishing forum by richie and it shows a little of the scenery out there. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Don't rule out the float tube; it's quiet and it can hide you in places a boat couldn't.

A friend hunts Minto every year from the village of Minto. I think they park at the school lot when they hunt. Natives there not real friendly for hunters but they have not had a problem. They do well and camp and hunt less then a hour from Minto. From here I think easiest access is down the Nanana. Never done it, but several hrs shorted driving then going to Minto. Anybody with more access info from the Nanana I hope they chime in on here. Would like to be able to drive to Nanana in my motorhome and make day trips hunting if that is practical. How far is it from ramp to hunt area, anybody with any idea. Bud

Healy Lake....but expect to get weeds in your jet.