Thread: Valdez silvers

Default Valdez silvers

Approx. when do the silvers start showing up at Allison point.

I wouldn't automatically assume VFDA cohos are coming. I have no information on the VFDA hatcheries coho forcast, but I know PSWAC has a dismal forecast of only 8000 returning. They are gonna have trouble getting their brood stock. IMO the wild coho return in the sound is also gonna be dismal. The guys on the flats aren't catching them like usual and my coho catch has been weak in the sound comparatively. If Valdez silvers are strong the drift fleet usually catches the heck out of them around Hook Point on Hinchinbrook, but so far, not happening.

Normally, I would say the silvers will start showing up around Allison Point around the middle of August. From early to mid August it can be hard to fish for silvers there because the pink salmon are so thick you can barely make a cast without hooking a pink. Of course each year can be a little different and I haven't heard of too many guys catching them yet out of Valdez so they could be late or a bad run as suggested above. I hope they show up as I am headed there to catch some in mid/late August.
    Good Luck
    Greg

Just got back from Valdez last night. Charter fleet is actually running boats for silvers now. A few boats have gotten into them but I don't have the locations where down there, so, they are starting to show. Commercial seiners are there for the pinks, about 100 + boats.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I would try fishing around Goose Island if you have a boat. I heard there have been some jumpers down there.

I was down to Valdez and it was a no go for silvers for me but I talked to a fellow in the campground when I got back in who had limited on silvers between Tatitlik and Bligh Island. Claims it was bang bang bang trolling herring behind a pink lady at 40 feet. This was on Saturday July 24th. I was out near Ellamar and the ice was quite thick from Columbia glacier making for interesting navigation.

Thanks for the replys, going on our third week up here and loving every minute of it. Not our first trip but earlier than usual plus a lot longer. Want to say thanks to all contributers have picked up a lot of useful info on this forum. Also thanks to some of the locals around Soldotna who showed a couple of Nebraskans how to catch red's.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I was down to Valdez and it was a no go for silvers for me but I talked to a fellow in the campground when I got back in who had limited on silvers between Tatitlik and Bligh Island. Claims it was bang bang bang trolling herring behind a pink lady at 40 feet. This was on Saturday July 24th. I was out near Ellamar and the ice was quite thick from Columbia glacier making for interesting navigation.
    Ice was way thick...almost closed us off from retrieving our shrimp pots. Keep an eye on the tides, its was pushing the ice around pretty bad.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel