Thread: Little Guy, Jigging For Herring

Default Little Guy, Jigging For Herring

%%%

So, the big brother is out of town for Camp, it's time for the "Littlest One," to go Fishing with Dad, all by ourselves.
    We choose to Target the Clouds of Herring, hanging out in front of town, put together some jigging rigs, fire up the Sounder and idling around for less than a minute or two, only about three minutes from our slip in the harbor, there they are, right underneath the boat,
    "Let 'er Go!"

"Now, What do I do here, Dad?" Logan is just three and a half yrs. old,
    Yet, Excited, Wondering maybe, "What's Gonna Happen Here, Anyway?"

Ok, I'm trusting you Dad, you do know how this works right? Not so sure it was smart to have him rigged with the Ultralight Rod, but it was sure Thrilling........ for Dad anyway

Soon, It's three on at a time!!! (Yes we did check in with F&G, it's the only fishery where the 2 hook per line limit is stretched to fifteen hooks per rig and no bag limit), "Go Get 'em," the Biologist says, and you can use them for bait. We actually plan to get a few for pickling, maybe try smoking some up, or..... ANY IDEAS out there??

"Oh Boy, This is Pretty Cool, Look at this Big Guy?" Logan, interestingly enough, thought these were pretty small fish. After watching us catch Subsistence Halibut for all his years as well as more than a few Red Salmon hitting the deck for his Bleeding Poker Job.
    This is his First Harvest Himself as Haulerman tho, and mighty Fighters They Are!!

I had to do quite a bit of teaching to get him to use this Gaff Hook, this boy just loved trying to pick them up, "they're Soooo Slippery, Wahooo"

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hey Logan those hooks aren't gonna bait themselves!
    Nah lets not rush things he'll be hearing that soon enough lol
    Thats awesome he's already sinking the gaff into paydirt

Default Pretty Nice Time Today

%%%

After a little initial success, Dad is circling around trying to get on 'em again, doing quite a bit of jig rig untangling, man those little mono rigs are Crazy Tanglers, thinking on a better set up, and all the while, the Deck crew is eyeing the Fishhold capacity and without saying anything, the pressure mounts on the Skipper, "There's quite a bit of room down here, yet?"

But these are plenty of fun to play with in the meantime,

and home later, lining them all up to show Mom, just can't resist gettin' one more feel of those Beauties.

Fifteen for the day, and we're pretty satisfied. We decide not to do an "allnighter," having almost covered the bottom of the fishold. Instead, we head to the Chowder House for a Cup 'o Chowder and a Banana Smoothie, sittin' on the Channel, watching the Boats slide by in the late afternoon
    while Mom gets an extended break from the boys, (another hour or so anyway)
    It all works pretty well, and the quote of the day on the return ride from the Harbor goes,
    "I Had A Pretty Nice Time Today, Dad!!

and, that's a good report for any dad I know!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

This my friend, is what it's all about. Good pictures, great times. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing, that's killer

Somehow I missed this thread the first time around. Man, that is fantastic! I was thinking about trying the herring jigging deal this coming spring, and now that I see you out there with your son (my oldest will be three in May), it's got me far more excited. Good stuff, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks,

The pics are great and it's good to see the bonding with your son.

Al

Nothing better than taking your kids fishing and the herring are a blast. Try using a little more weight(16 oz) and it will minimize your tangle ups as it keeps the bigger herring from swimming so freely. Something I had always thought would be fun for a young kid would be to get an ice fishing pole and rig it up with one or two hooks so it would be just their size. Thanks for sharing the photos and story.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Thanks for the tip Mel, 16oz is more than I would have thought of, but sounds like the ticket for sure

I like the Junior size pole idea also