Thread: Trail / beach camping and riding, Soldotna to Homer

Default Trail / beach camping and riding, Soldotna to Homer

Can anyone out there tell me a good place to ride 4-wheelers on or near the beach, anywhere from Soldotna to Homer? I want to be able to park my travel trailer at a campground and ride the 4-wheelers directly from there up and down the beach, or on any good nearby trails. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I was down that way a few weeks ago and saw lots of atv's at the captain cook state campground north of kenai and riding along the beach by clam gulch.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Nihilchick campground is one.
    Another is the first state park as you enter the spit in homer. Mariner park or something like that. That is my favorite. You can ride about 1-2 miles up towards the city on the beach to the all and all the way down the spit on the beach until the speed limit drops to 25 up on the road.
    Great kid riding, my 10YO puts 20-60 miles on his wheeler everyday....lol

Ditto on Ninilchik. Heading there today.

Scratch what I said. There was a small State RV capable campground on the beach in Ninilchik proper. By the Ninilchik river mouth. It is now restricted to day use only.

Went a little further south to Deep Creek. Between the skidder boat launch and mouth of Deep Creek. On the beach and actually a better campground. $10 per night. You can take your wheeler on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Scratch what I said. There was a small State RV capable campground on the beach in Ninilchik proper. By the Ninilchik river mouth. It is now restricted to day use only.

Went a little further south to Deep Creek. Between the skidder boat launch and mouth of Deep Creek. On the beach and actually a better campground. $10 per night. You can take your wheeler on the beach.
    Hi, Sorry to bring up an old post. I was searching thru previous posts that contained info about Ninilchik. I have never been there and the wife and I just got some tickets for a halibut charter out of Ninilchik. Having no idea what the area is like I'm trying to figure out where we should camp the night before. (Tent.) This area you mention between the skidder boat launch and mouth of deep creek "on the beach," is it a regulated campground? Do you know the name of it?

Thanks. I am open to any other suggestions. I am a life long alaskan but have never been to that side of the peninsula. My wife and I are hoping to scout out some areas that our three kids would enjoy so any pointers are gladly accepted!

Also we have not yet selected the date that we are going. Hopefully sometime in May depending on my work schedule.

I have found some camp ground info here: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits...inilsragen.htm
    But having never been there, I'd still appreciate if anyone had some insider info on better places to stay. I assume these are nice?

I think your link is the one TR is talking about...As your headed down the Sterling Hwy into Ninilchik..
    You will go down a hill
    cross a river
    back up and thru the city--Will see the fairgrounds on your left
    then down another hill
    cross another river
    as your going back up road to the right goes straight down to the beach
    You will see a few 'skidders' there that they use to launch/retrieve the boats.
    Camping it to the right as you face the ocean... ATV are allowed and there is restrooms for tenters...

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Yes, I stand corrected..This is the one I gave directions to....