Thread: Camp, 4-Wheel, and fish?

Default Camp, 4-Wheel, and fish?

Does anyone know of a good place to camp where you have direct access to ATV trails to ride 4-wheelers? I am not opposed to the open gravel lot "pull-outs", but prefer an actual campground as long as we can get to the ATV trails without having to trailer them to the trailhead. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know of an established campground with ATV trails and access to fishing areas, but you might consider the Knik River Public Use Area. (Jim creek to locals.) It is close enough to a small town that you have access to gas, food etc. and the salmon are beginning to run in Jim Creek.

Also, Long Lake north of Palmer has a camping spot with porta-johns, and the lake is stocked. There are ATV trails close by.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default How far do you want to go?

A couple of places come to mind:

long way but Swanson River Drainage has a campground with toilets and potable water, its seventeen miles off the highway in Sterling.

Tangle Lakes Campground on the Denali Highway, close to lots of places to ATV and fish, and has an established campground on the river. around MP 24 or so I think.

I am the non campground type camper, so I would travel the Denali Highway and camp where ever my little heart desires, which is what I do, but not with ATVs. But there are MILES of trails to traverse. One is 12 miles up from Maclaren River to the Maclaren glacier, suitable for ATVs rather than trucks. That should be a nice trip.

Camping at Jim Creek area would be okay, not sure of where established campgrounds are, but down Knik River Road is trails. As well as riding around the river.

Swan Lake or Jim Lake has lots of trails nearby and you can camp like at Jim Lake but its not a formal campground.

for now thats my two cents

Northwest side of the Old Glenn Knik bridge is a good place to camp. Any size RV can access. Just a gravel bar; not a proper camp ground, but free. From there you cross the road and a small creek to take your wheelers on the east side. Lots of trails and access to Jim Creek for fishing.

King River just North of Sutton is another good one. There is some good trout fishing in Ruby lake to boot (better if you have a float tube or small boat though).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by faemystique View Post
    A couple of places come to mind:

long way but Swanson River Drainage has a campground with toilets and potable water, its seventeen miles off the highway in Sterling.

Tangle Lakes Campground on the Denali Highway, close to lots of places to ATV and fish, and has an established campground on the river. around MP 24 or so I think.

I am the non campground type camper, so I would travel the Denali Highway and camp where ever my little heart desires, which is what I do, but not with ATVs. But there are MILES of trails to traverse. One is 12 miles up from Maclaren River to the Maclaren glacier, suitable for ATVs rather than trucks. That should be a nice trip.

Camping at Jim Creek area would be okay, not sure of where established campgrounds are, but down Knik River Road is trails. As well as riding around the river.

Swan Lake or Jim Lake has lots of trails nearby and you can camp like at Jim Lake but its not a formal campground.

for now thats my two cents
    Most of Knik river road is private property. For years people have been ripping down my buddies no trespassing signs and tearing up his land to get to the river. Someone even poached a moose on it 2 years ago. Just because there is a "trail" there doesn't make it public property. I have permission to cross back in there and you aren't missing much as far as riding. You can only go a couple miles of flat rocky country then you hit a solid rock impassible mountain side that runs from the mountains all the way to the rivers edge. No way around and no where to go even if you could get around it.

The North side of the river has tons of well traveled trails to explore for many miles, the south side.... not so much

Yeah, never actually did any riding out there, we don't have ATVs but I had heard of people doing it. Thanks for the heads up. My daughter has a friend that lives way out there, thats about the only thing we go out there for, oh and to dream that one day we might tackle climbing up the mountain a bit... one day. haha.