Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsafe Gun Range Practices!!!

Default Unsafe Gun Range Practices!!!

I was out at a range as a guest today in Kenai and I was pretty shocked at the lack of discipline from supposed senior members. A full auto shoot with several people shooting across lanes and leaving loaded weapons laying on the tables, a person actually walked in front of my field of fire and was almost killed by me on a hot range! Lot's of spray and pray all over the place (strafing) including my targets more than once and a host of other crazy crap, not to mention the consumption of alcohol on the firing line! I'm not going to mention names, but I felt compelled to say something as this is not how I was raised around firearms nor is it how Uncle Sam taught me range safety. This is dangerous and reckless and will wind up ending someones life and give the shooting sports yet another black eye.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! Use common sense and be safe! If your not sure, ask a range officer or ask the organization for the range rules and go over them with one of the officers. ALWAYS ALWAYS check to see if a firearm is loaded and don't point it at another human! YIKES!!!

Mountaintrekker

Sounds like someone should have stepped up and shut it down
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

How sad. Behavior like that gives the ENTIRE shooting community a black eye.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If it's reely that bad, go home and don't ever come back.

Amigo is right though, someone should have at least said something.

Then again, some crowds, I wouldn't wanna mess with.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've never run into that at Snowshoe. Must be dipnet fever in the air.

Alcohol at a range??? Is this a club range, as in gated, you must have a key, be a guest if not a member? IMO, anyone having booze at a club range should be banned. Period. No discussion. That just shows the worst kind of judgement possible.
    The rest of that behaviour you described is just more of the same.
    If its a club range, a letter to the executive should suffice.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

What you describe is truly dangerous, and I wouldn't be able to let it go without doing something. Sayak sounds like he has been to that range (I have not), and the behvior you describe is not what he has seen. Therefore, what you witnessed may be very atypical for that range, and those who are responsible for that range may greatly appreciate you telling them about your experience. I encourage you to follow the advice of Yukoner and send a letter.

Doc

Default Atypical, yes

I am not a member, but have been a guest twice. I saw no impropriety, but instead saw folks, including LEOs going about their sport, business and pleasure.

I would not use the facilities enough to justify the price, so I will remain a gravel pit shooter (who picks up after himself).

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I am not a member, but have been a guest twice. I saw no impropriety, but instead saw folks, including LEOs going about their sport, business and pleasure.

I would not use the facilities enough to justify the price, so I will remain a gravel pit shooter (who picks up after himself).
    Member or not, a heads up to the main club officers should be a must! You may read how I don't shoot there and don't care leads to MAN SHOT IN RANGE MISHAP!!

A headline that maybe you could have kept from happening if you would have responsibly stuck your nose in and gave the proper heads up!!

FIREARM SAFETY IS ALL OUR RESPONSIBILITY!!

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCATTER View Post
    Member or not, a heads up to the main club officers should be a must! You may read how I don't shoot there and don't care leads to MAN SHOT IN RANGE MISHAP!!

A headline that maybe you could have kept from happening if you would have responsibly stuck your nose in and gave the proper heads up!!

FIREARM SAFETY IS ALL OUR RESPONSIBILITY!!
    Not sure why you quoted me when I stated that I saw NO impropriety. I'm not going to report something that someone else saw, that would be absurd. Additionally, I never said I don't care. If I saw anyone acting as the OP reported, I would indeed report the behavior. Don't jump to conclusions. Sheesh!

Some of our contributors tend to do that a lot. Jump to conclusions, that is. Also it would be nice if they would carefully read their post before posting. It would make them easier to read and understand.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I have been a member there for years and have shot there numerous times with no problems. Your membership card has a number to call to report problems. If you know who the people are you should name names.

I am also a member at snowshoe, and I have never seen any dangerous behavior by anyone, everytime I have been there with other people, I have never seen any questionable acts, and it always seemed like safety was the main thing. But then again, to be a member, all you have to do is pay for the key, so any old idiot can get a membership and take all his idiot buddies in there. I was not there, but if what was described was really going on, I am pretty sure I would have called up the managers and had them come down and put an end to it.

Sounds like the Range Personnel were on coffee break.

There are no range personnel. The range personnel are the paying members.

Unfortunately you are going to come across unsafe people at most any range. I've seen some truly stupid things at Rabbitt Creek over the years.

Personally, if I see alcohol and guns, I'd put myself out of range of those guns as quickly as possible. Anyone stupid enough to put that combination together is someone I have no desire to confront, especially if they are displaying unsafe gun handling.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I have been a member there for years and have shot there numerous times with no problems. Your membership card has a number to call to report problems. If you know who the people are you should name names.
    +1. As a member, I have never seen behavior like that.

Sounds prety sensible. Simple leave. I like it.

1- Alcohol is specifically banned from Snowshoe gun club property. If there was alcohol, they were breaking club rules.

2- All the stuff cited by the OP in reference to unsafe gun handling is prohibited by club rules. There is no range staff. It is up to the paying club members to police themselves. If you bring in a guest, their behavior is the club member's responsibility.

3- Since a member of my family is on the club board of directors, consider the board notified of this complaint.

4- I was not aware of a sanctioned full auto shoot, but if it was a range-reserved activity, there was supposed to be an NRA certified instructor on the range to oversee range rules and safety requirements. That is required for all formal shoot activiites. The group that did it can be un-invited to come back if they didn't follow that rule. If is was an informal get-together that wasn't planned and put on the calendar, then it falls to the club members themselves to ensure range safety. I'll check the official club calendar to find out, since I happen to know who keeps it and where he has it (I gave him that calendar for Christmas last year).

5- If you are present at a shooting event, regardless of location (club, gravel pit, etc) and you see bad gun handling behavior, yet you don't say anything about it, then you are part of the problem. Idiots with guns give all gun owners a bad name. We must police ourselves and that means taking every opportunity to educate others on gun safety.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I am not a member, nor have I used this range. However, on many other ranges I have seen stupid behavior and I ALWAYS step-in. I do not care who they are, usually they are too embarrassed once their errors have been pointed out.
    Not sure about snowshoe, but it is either private or State/borough property. Blatant dangerous behavior is therefore policeable, by troopers or other LEOs. Just the same as if someone comes in you house and is breaking your rules - you can call the police.
    Many of our local troopers and LEOs are members, much as snowshoe I imagine. So a quick call to the Troopers (if you did not want to step-in) could have put these Yahoos in their place.
    Usually I shoot with one of my kids, so I am anal about range safety and take charge as soon as I arrive on point, and make it known that I am in charge - I have been thanked by many in the past for my attitude (other dad's with kids).
    I am now an NRA instructor, RSO and range board member - I ALWAYS wear some NRA Instructor Jacket/Shirt/Hat at the range to further emphasise that I am going to take charge and know what I am doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast