Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Su float

Default Little Su float

Well I drifted the Little Su from the Shushana Bridge to the Shrock Bridge, what a purdy river. Donít know what the average water level is but it was lower a bit from last year same time. I was in my Outcast 8í Cataraft and it was the perfect vessel for this trip. A couple bends down from the launch I tagged and nice little char, so I thought this would be a active catching trip. Boy was I wrong!

I had a great float; the water was good looking but not much salmon. After growing up in Bristol Bay I love the trees and mountains and this float had many large trees of various species. This was a very scenic trip, I say that because catching wasnít the so hot. I saw only one other fish other than the few salmon and that was a white fish. It was the only fish I could see behind any of the salmon, I didnít see myself push any trout out when I would drift over the water I fished. The second half of the float was filled with log jams, strainers and sweepers. I had to portage about a dozen times from sliding over a strainer to dragging over land and gravel. The portages werenít bad just a bunch and I was glad I had just an 8 footer in tow.

I was surprised by the lack of salmon and even more surprised by the lack of other fish. There were fillet carcasses from folks working over their dip net fish. I also found a Coleman Canoe wrapped around a log pile folded up a bit.

I would like to do the float again but would hope more fish on the hook.

George I tried to find the shushana Bridge on a map and was wondering where that is? Sounds like a fun float how long did it take?

Awesome info George!
    I'm floating from schrock to Houston tomorrow. Hope the fishing is better down lower

George,
    That is a good one. Glad you had fun in my neck of the woods. See you on the Kvichak. Last 5 days of September, I hope you're ready for us. It could get a little wild with old men coming with us this time. Whenever you want to hit the Deshka give me a call. Nobody knows that river better than me after 26 years of growing up there. Oh, and I'll be a new friend down to Bristol Bay. A 13'6" ZA Sage. I decided to build one for myself this time.

Dustin Grimes

PowerDrifter, from the parks take a right on Main and follow to the Seldon light. Take a left and the second right is Shrock. Follow a few miles to Shushana (there is a church under construction) take a right and just before the bridge is the access. It is a little muddy with deep holes so a vehicle with clearence is needed.

Fullbush, hope it is a great float. Will be looking for the report.

Grimey, looking forward to you and "old guys" this fall. I think I will take you up on the Deshka maybe next July? That ZA will do ya good on the Kvichak.

Thanks George!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

George,
    Sorry you didn't get into more fish. I floated parks down to lujon recently and saw a couple big kings, but we didn't pick up any char or trout on that trip either.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    There were fillet carcasses from folks working over their dip net fish.
    I saw carcasses too. Sorry for the hijack, but how effective is a ban on felt soles going to be when people are dumping carcasses from other waters into the rivers?

In reply to Scot_rn; I believe the ban on felt soles is mainly to prevent transporting invasive species from the lower 48 and other fisheries that are not yet in Alaska (or prevalent yet). Examples are whirling disease and New Zealand mud snails which have wrecked havoc on some fisheries in the lower 48. I love felt!

Power D the float took about 6 hours with about 1.5-2 total hours fishing and lunch.

Scott_m, Redsides has the correct answer. I feel that the carcasses are just premature distribution of proteen that will generally get in the system anyway. What I do think it effects is that it keeps bears around the area when they would have normally been elseware. Oh and it ads to the seagul crap in the waters as well.....

Ancious to hear about the trip from Schrock bridge to Houston...

George

Default dipnetting on the little su

Well I drifted the Little Su from the Shushana Bridge to the Shrock Bridge... There were fillet carcasses from folks working over their dip net fish.
    I had thought that you had to be well-below the shrock bridge to dipnet the little sue, or for that matter, just to retain salmon via rodNreel. ??? Actually, below the Parks bridge is where I thought both became legal.

You were well-above the Parks bridge. Do I have my boundaries mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I had thought that you had to be well-below the shrock bridge to dipnet the little sue, or for that matter, just to retain salmon via rodNreel. ??? Actually, below the Parks bridge is where I thought both became legal.

You were well-above the Parks bridge. Do I have my boundaries mixed up?
    There is no dipnet on the little sue. At least not that I've ever heard of.

Sorry that I didn't explain further but they were cleaning the dipnetted fish from the opener on Fish Creek up KGB Sat morning. They came to the Little Su to clean thier fish with cleaner water.

George

Fullbush, hope it is a great float. Will be looking for the report.
    George its was a great float w/ zero log jams, it was awesome! I caught 1 rainbow and 1 dolly. The rainbow was w/o a doubt the highlight of my fly fishing career. I posted some pics in the "flyguys spill the beans" thread. We did run into an uncomfortable situation w/ a hillbilly. We were fishing a hole on the opposite side of the river from a trailer and lean-to. My friend said, heads up that guys got a gun, I go, what guy? Just then I focus on this guy leering at us holding a rifle in the crook of his arm, in front of his trailer! we didn't turn our back and promptly got in our cata-rafts and went around the bend. Can you believe it? The more I think about it, the madder it makes me. The other property owner we encountered down stream was very friendly and asked us how the fishing was as we floated by. We saw a healthy amount of spawning kings and one school of about 60 chum holding in some backwater. I saw a trout jump behind the chums, it wouldn't touch my bead so I put on a caddis nymph, you wouldn't believe it, the chums went crazy over it! No sooner would it hit the water the whole school would compete for it. A big calico buck gator snapped the hook off the nymph and I thought he just shook it, so I made another cast and you guess it, I watched just a wall-hanger bow smacked it! I went to set the hook and there was no hook to set

if it was me I would have said yeah I have one too! But mine has hydrashocks in it!

Thanks for your report. I have been wanting to do that part after reading in the canoe forum about them cutting and clearing it of logs back in the 1st part of July. That's to bad about the wasillabilly He must be up to no good on that there property as why else would someone do that. I guess if I find the time soon to float I'll keep an eye out for this NUT. Guess It's best not to fish right in front of some peoples place as they may think you have no right to be there, but we do.

This was my fisrt float on flowing water with my single cat. Having a 10'8" 5wt with a rod caddy that you don't have to unstring your rod. Just break it down and slide it in reel and all. Well fishing a egg pattern with bobber makes this difficult to store cause you have the strike indicator. So I am trouble shooting this situation with coiling up the leader and putting it in leader package. That didn't go well as the leader was all tangled once I wanted to fish again. So I found a small flat piece if bark to stick the hook in and wrap around the wood and place that into the bag. That sufficed for the rest of the trip but I got to designing something easy and efficient so I come up with a good ziplock bag with a piece of foam to wrap the leader around then store it next to the reel in the rod caddy for the next section of the float.

Anyone else solved this issue differently?

George

This was my fisrt float on flowing water with my single cat. Having a 10'8" 5wt with a rod caddy that you don't have to unstring your rod. Just break it down and slide it in reel and all. Well fishing a egg pattern with bobber makes this difficult to store cause you have the strike indicator. So I am trouble shooting this situation with coiling up the leader and putting it in leader package. That didn't go well as the leader was all tangled once I wanted to fish again. So I found a small flat piece if bark to stick the hook in and wrap around the wood and place that into the bag. That sufficed for the rest of the trip but I got to designing something easy and efficient so I come up with a good ziplock bag with a piece of foam to wrap the leader around then store it next to the reel in the rod caddy for the next section of the float.

George
    I have a couple of rodholders on my toon that I use for that purpose.

FYI, the rod in the front holder is a 15 footer.

NIce setup Dave but I don't think I would trust my rods to a rod holder on the smaller/tighter drifts. Good looking partner you got there.

George

Good photo of you Dave! I do like your set up. The river George just floated that there 15ft rod, ran like that you'd have a couple of 7 footers pretty quick.

George
    I always pulled the toothpick and let the corky slide down the leader so I could break the rod down to stick in the caddy. Guess I was too lazy to think of a better way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast