Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Creek

Default Fish Creek

Fish creek crested it's upper escapemet goal yesterday and there is still plenty of time in the season. Questions is why the h*ll has there not been an EO to open it to sport fishing before the normal Aug 15th opener, but yet it is open for the dipnetters????
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

thats a good question
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Guys, I hate to say it but dipnetting is on it's last legs for fish creek. I'm assuming that it will try to be evolved into a sports fish fishery only. My opinion only. I just think that it is more trouble for what it is worth to fish and game. They catch grief for when the fish are in and when the fish are not. Of course, people like me can yell loud and clear to stop this from happening. Looks like we will see what develops!!! The whop
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thats a bummer whop. How do they plan to harvest the surplus of fish? I'd hate to see and smell all those morts around Big lake

I know you can't normally sport fish there, but it seems strange that sport fishing isn't permitted during the dipnetting season. Wouldn't it make sense to designate a portion of the creek for dipnetting, and another portion for sport fishing?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Got out there for the last high tide for the opener yesterday. It was sad. TONS of people, TONS of nets, but didn't see much brought in. Did see a few people pack out with some fish, but no one I saw had their personal limit. I managed to get 1, but lot's of people, and I mean a lot of them, got skunked.

Yep, I got skunked myself; it was nuts! I've no interest in doing that again. Maybe during the week its better, but there were way to many people & nets for the fish to get more than a few yards it seemed.

Personally, I got up at 4oam for the opener, looked out the window and just imagined what the crowds were going to look like and I went back to sleep. Looks like I made a good call. I'm waiting for during the week when it won't be such a zoo.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Anyone have a good email address for Dave Rutz?? I wanna send him an email and ask just exactly why this has not been opened to sport fishing but dipnetters get theirs.

Default No, but here's his phone number

PM SENT. Even if he is a public servant I'm sure he doesn't want it up for everybody to see unless they look it up them selves.

My wife and I were down there for the opener yesterday and with my el cheapo $40 dip net was about to bag 3 in about 20 minutes even though I had about 3 times that many bump by my net. After the inital 45 minute rush we left and had breakfast bought a "real dipnet" at Sportmens and went back for the evening tide and even though the action was much slower were still able to pull another 8 out of creek. I guess a bunch of folks were slaying them down at the mouth but never went down there to check it out. Not really for the whole zoo scene but man there was some entertainment watching people work 3 times as hard pushing a cart or wagon or what not empty just to go fishing then it would have been had they just all had backpacks and walked it. Good times though and plan on going tomorrow when those with real jobs will hopefully be working and there will be less people.

Thanks thewhop, got your PM and sent Dave an email. I'll post his reply.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Guys, I hate to say it but dipnetting is on it's last legs for fish creek. I'm assuming that it will try to be evolved into a sports fish fishery only. My opinion only. I just think that it is more trouble for what it is worth to fish and game. They catch grief for when the fish are in and when the fish are not. Of course, people like me can yell loud and clear to stop this from happening. Looks like we will see what develops!!! The whop
    Just saw pictures from the weekends dipnetting exodus there and I gotta say I was pretty disgusted at what I saw. People willfully tresspassing on private property, driving atvs accross private property, starting bonfires, garbage everywhere....looked like nothing I would ever want to be a part of. You think this might be the reason they might stop dipnetting there? If people would respect the fishery and private property a little more instead of doing whatever it takes to get that fish (extreme greed is all I can equate it to)
    then maybe they would let dipnetting continue. I'll throw sport fishers in there too just to make it fair. Some sport fishers I've seen are just as bad.

Default dipnetting pictures? where?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Just saw pictures from the weekends dipnetting exodus there and I gotta say I was pretty disgusted at what I saw.
    Where did you see them?

I too have seen bad things caused by a tiny minority of dippers, and I too worry about them endangering the activity for us all.

There are a few pics on AOJ and some others a guy I know took to show to F&G.

They are posted on AOJ. The photos really look bad. Tight lines.
    Last edited by akriverman; 07-25-2010 at 19:30. Reason: typo
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Default AOJ pics are where?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    They are posted on AOJ. The photos really look bad. Tight lines.
    Sorry if I'm being an idjit but I can't find'm. Hope I'm not wrong on this, but I am pretty sure the mgmt here is quite tolerant as to relevant links to other sites; I checked this one: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Reports/Fishreport/anglerreport.html and couldn't see what you're saying. Can you provide a link please? Thanks in advance.

That's one of them, scroll three posts down and look at the privat property signs, and the all the people that payed no attention to the signs

Raptor, I counted six people out of how many cars parked along side the road? I was told there were 100's of cars. I think the majority held themselves up to a higher standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast