Thread: Kodiak?

Default Kodiak?

Hey all,
    Tossing around some ideas for the annual bow/steelhead, silver hunt. Was thinking about jumping on a ferry with the "RV" and heading to the island. Would like to spend 10-14 days searchin. Would the road system with a pontoon boat provide ample opportunities with such a set-up for said species?

How much does the ferry run for a rv? Might go down before school starts
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    How much does the ferry run for a rv? Might go down before school starts
    Here's a link:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/docu..._SWTariffs.pdf

yes it would
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    yes it would
    x2

Talked with a few guys in the kodiak airport last year on they way down for a goat hunt. They fished the road system for a week straight and absolutely hammered fish.

Was there last year 9/10-9/17 and had a blast. Will be there again this year, same time & can't wait to rip them. I found the road streams to have easy access IMO, not that crowded especially compared to KP. There are people but you are not fighting for a spot. The Pasaghak or Kaslin pond have good silver fishing for your float. Borrowing a friends up there this year to give it a shot myself.
    Now they started an enhanced run of Kings in the American & Olds to give more opportunities. I going to give it a few years before giving it a go, but have heard good success with fish in the low #20's returning on year 3 smolts.
    Not sure about the steelies some much as they are better on the Karluk, but that is a 30 min flight.

how's the rainbow fishing from the road-access streams??? or is it mostly silvers and dollies that time of year?

anyone ever fish the Uganik river system for 'bows?

If bows and steelhead are the primary species you're targeting, the Kodiak road system may not be what you want. The rainbow fishing is primarily in lakes stocked by the department of fish and game, and the steelhead fishing is pretty limited from the road system.

So what i am hearing from most folks is that the road system would offer more dollie and silver fishing than anything else? Any of you Kodiak fishers care to comment? Please enlighten this kodiak greenhorn. Thanks everyone!

Some steelhead in the Buskin, no?

There is a small run of 200 or so steelhead in the buskin but other than that river fishing for bows and steelhead is very limited. You can hammer silvers and dollies. Pontoon boats work great for lake rostead (pasagshak) and kalsin pond... been doing that for years and can remember the days before people caught on when just a few locals including my self practiced it now it can be a show with all the tourists that can't cast 25 feet from their boat. Still i like fishing from the pontoon boat in the lakes is more fun for me than the rivers.

If your main target is rainbows and steelhead, I would try somewhere else. The buskin would be the only road accessible stream for either and you most likely would not catch either in a weeks time. I live one mile from the Buskin and fish it regularly (almost daily) and only catch two to six steelhead a year in the fall and less than 20 bows. If you want to catch lots of dollies and silvers the road system is the place to be.