Thread: 200 SJ problem

Default 200 SJ problem

It's a 2008 model and @ 15 hrs it ran fine at an idle but when I went WOT it would just die. I change out the boost fuel pump and its ran great. Yesterday @ 58 hr on the motor I was out horsing around at the lake. I was doing tight spins jumping waves and just generally jack *****ing. So again at WOT the engine would die just for a second and then just come back to life. I'm not sure if I was aerating the fuel to much or if there is some type of low level shut off switch I could have been activating? It ran fine later in the day but it's still in the back of my head. Just wondering if anyone else has experianced this problem. Thanks

I had somewhat the same problem. In Valdez last fall at WOT the engine would start blubbering and lose power, It did not die and when I pulled the throttle back it was fine. Hole shot was good, but would start blubbering after about 10 seconds or so. Diagnosis by Compeaus showed that 3 of the air injectors were bad. $2,500 later it was back in the water. Not exactly the same symptoms but might be something to check.

How about a little bit of water....If you can get to the top of the tank where you have an opening, take it off and ensure the boat is tilted that way and look for water in the tank. Ensure that the tank is not full!!! I open and check mine every year in both boats. My NR had maybe an ounce one year.

If it just died with no other symptoms like spuddering or what not then it could be an electrical problem. I just sold my 07' EX to friend of ours with less than 70hrs on the SJ and within two weeks he had this happen to him up the river. Turned out the key switch had a bad conection in it, once replaced it had not had a single problem. One other issue that I had seen on these last yr that some people were having was the mail power relay. It was acting the same way, would just die for no reason.

Thanks for the replys. I changed the racor and the merc fuel filters and added a pint of dry gas. Ran it for 8 more hours on the copper without any problems. 170 red's also, dipping is hot.