Thread: Sheep Hunt Sleeping Bag - Down vs Synthetic

Default Sheep Hunt Sleeping Bag - Down vs Synthetic

What are your preferences? Anybody ever get into trouble with a wet down bag?

Default Bag

Just give mark at wiggys Alaska, a call. I don't like wet feathers.

Terry

Thanks Jimmy

Yep, lots on this topic. I know I have a hard time taking anything but my wiggys glacier hunter when I head out far from home. On overnights or quick thru hikes where less weight and bulk are the order of the day a sub 2lb tiny packing down bag is just the ticket.

for me synthetic all the way, i'm paranoid about somehting happening and my sleeping bag getting wet. i use a cats meow a 20 degree bad that dosnt weigh too much and keep my warm.

Get a military surplus gortex bivy and never worry about getting wet again. I have slept outside on sand bars in pouring rain and even in the snow on spring bear hunts, stayed warm and dry.

You can find them for a good price on ebay.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I use the NF cats meow (synthetic) but would have NO problems using a Mont Bell (down), fact is, I am leaning towards getting one for sheep hunt. I can rarely zip them up anyways, so staying warm is never an issue.

No problem DJ.

Northway...I've had the same bag as you for ohhhh, 11 years I guess. Really considering the Wiggy's SuperLite, or lining the NF w/ a liner this year. Last few times I've gone out I've been waking up with the chills at night.

I have a down bag for cold winter weather when I know it is too cold to rain. For my moose hunt in sept. I will be purchasing a synthetic (used to use the army one but had to give it back). It is not worth the risk of getting down wet in the rainy/cold months to me.

I have used both synthetic and down on past sheep hunts.....but the last three hunts my son and I have used a Marmot helium down bag and love it!.......its lite, warm and will compress very small, alittle bigger than a loaf of bread!

I thought about buying a Feathered Friends Hummingbird.....but think I will stick with the Heluim!

Dave

Jimmy, yeah, I've been using my NF since the mid 90's. It is the one with the fleece lining in it. I can't part with it because they no longer make them like that. I have NEVER been cold, so not an issue. I've used it a below zero and was fine. My bro in law has a Mont Bell and I really like how they stretch and they shed water. I think his partner uses a Marmot helium, like ramhunter and it performs the same. The old days of down and being soaked are over. They are great bags and compress smaller than our synthetics. Will stick with my NF until I get some spare $$ laying around!

Compressibility is the big thing to me....... and being lite ain't a bad thing ether!

On sheep hunts it always "tight and light" for me!

I love my Wiggy's bags and I have several of them, however I started using a Big Agnes Zirkel down bag and I really like it for my backpack hunts. I can only speak for this bag, but I have had it soaking wet with water pooled in the bottom from being sick and sweating in it. That night was in the low 40s with heavy rain. Even sick and wet I stayed warm in this bag. I was able to dry it out completely the next day. I will be using it again this year as well. I keep it inside my TI Goat Bivy and stuff both into a lightweight compression sack . This setup will remain dry even when held under water. Plus it packs up the size of a Nalgene bottle.

It won't be long now.....

Steve

Another vote for Marmot Helium.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Jimmy, yeah, I've been using my NF since the mid 90's. It is the one with the fleece lining in it. I can't part with it because they no longer make them like that. I have NEVER been cold, so not an issue. I've used it a below zero and was fine. My bro in law has a Mont Bell and I really like how they stretch and they shed water. I think his partner uses a Marmot helium, like ramhunter and it performs the same. The old days of down and being soaked are over. They are great bags and compress smaller than our synthetics. Will stick with my NF until I get some spare $$ laying around!
    Might be singing a tune if I had the version you have. Think before I delve into a new bag, I'm gonna try the liner first...gives a bit more flexibility. http://www.rei.com/product/705534

Yeah, I simply can't part with the NF with the fleece inside it because it is an incredible bag. I will use it as long as it will last. I've had it forever and wish I could get one just like it but rectangular and not the mummy! I hate mummy bags, because I have wide shoulders and I roll during the night so get "caught" up in it, therefore, just have my feet in it and zipper all the way open! Look forward to hearing about your liner!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yep, lots on this topic. I know I have a hard time taking anything but my wiggys glacier hunter when I head out far from home. On overnights or quick thru hikes where less weight and bulk are the order of the day a sub 2lb tiny packing down bag is just the ticket.

I just bought my Glacier Hunter 15* bag for my sheep hunt. Marc at Wiggy's will give you low down. Might want to hurry in there. Maybe only had 1 left, not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I love my Wiggy's bags and I have several of them, however I started using a Big Agnes Zirkel down bag and I really like it for my backpack hunts. I can only speak for this bag, but I have had it soaking wet with water pooled in the bottom from being sick and sweating in it. That night was in the low 40s with heavy rain. Even sick and wet I stayed warm in this bag. I was able to dry it out completely the next day. I will be using it again this year as well. I keep it inside my TI Goat Bivy and stuff both into a lightweight compression sack . This setup will remain dry even when held under water. Plus it packs up the size of a Nalgene bottle.

It won't be long now.....

Steve
    Steve, do you also use the Big Agnes air pad with the Zirkel? I was looking at the setup and it looks good with the bag joined with the air pad. Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Steve, do you also use the Big Agnes air pad with the Zirkel? I was looking at the setup and it looks good with the bag joined with the air pad. Thanks, Mark
    I do and really like it. I'm a rodeo, side sleeper and just could not keep a pad or mat under me all night. With the Zirkel and the insulated aircore mat stuffed inside my TI Goat Bivy I can spin all night and still wake up with my matress under me. The most comfortable setup I have found for me as a side sleeper. My sleep system weights about 60 oz for sleeping bag, bivy, air mattress and stuff sack.

IMHO down in the new water resistant materials is alot different form the old cotton and down sleeping bags and jackets of yesteryear.

Steve