Thread: Riding in someones yard?

Default Riding in someones yard?

Was home alone today, here in big lake and someone came thru our subdivision and decided the burms by my front porch looked like fun. he (it, she,he whatever) was jumping his machine in my driveway, did about three loops in my front year, coming within a foot of my house once and the other times within 20 feet of the front of my garage door. wife was gone with the truck so they probably thought no one was home.
    Needless to say i was hot, if i had caught them out there it wouldn't have been good, for me or them.
    Some times the ignorance of people blows me away, this is the kinda of activity thats gives ditch riders a bad rap..pulling off for a quick run thru someones yard of fresh powder. i have a one year old and three year old that play on those snow burms, if they ahd been there the rider would have never seen them...do the math. I'd have been crushing a helmet with something and quick.
    Talked with the troopers on what my rights were, so next time it happens i know i can legally take the guys snowmachine and make a citizens arrest for trespassing and if my kids are there, endangering their lives.
    This is no little thing, hotdoggin' in someones yard is not cool...i realize this forum might not have riders that succumb to the temptation to carve up some nice snow by their front window, but just pass it around and diss on guys who do it, then maybe stuff like this will happen less often and i'll feel better about my kids playing in their own yard.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Fences make good neighbors.

ya, but no reason i should fence off my yard that i own, when its obviously not their yard. how far do we have to go to protect ourselves with whats ours? if we just fence stuff to tell people to stay out...what does it say them to when there is no fence?...free riding? you grab the handles you have resposibility, i'm not gonna be responsible for telling you where you can and cannot go...little common sense would go a long way on this one.
    the trooper did tell me not to hang any piano wire...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya, but no reason i should fence off my yard that i own, when its obviously not their yard. how far do we have to go to protect ourselves with whats ours? if we just fence stuff to tell people to stay out...what does it say them to when there is no fence?...free riding? you grab the handles you have resposibility, i'm not gonna be responsible for telling you where you can and cannot go...little common sense would go a long way on this one.
    the trooper did tell me not to hang any piano wire...
    Dead on BRWNBR,
    Why should you have to fence yourself in, people have no common sense anymore. I hope they don't come back, but if they do I hope you teach him a lesson, the hard way.
    I am tired of society allowing/making excuses for people acting a ***** and nobody making them account for their actions.

glad to hear some concurance cat, i've been keeping my eyes open for guys in my yard now, i've got the bat ready....that'll blow their mind they think no ones home and i run out in the yard with my baseball bat...you'd see the whites of their eyes thru their goggles!!
    Master guide 212

A child's lack of respect for private property isn't necessarily the child's fault. It's the parent's fault. Where do you stand? Maybe we should revisit the thread about Native-owned land on Afognak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    A child's lack of respect for private property isn't necessarily the child's fault. It's the parent's fault. Where do you stand? Maybe we should revisit the thread about Native-owned land on Afognak.
    BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

liberal rhetoric

A child? who said it was a child that did it? far as i know it was an 80 year old lady that did it. don't much matter who it was, the point is that i don't want someone driving thru my yard jumping the snow burms by my house cause MY KIDS play on those burms and they are little tiny things that you wouldn't see till it was too late. thats why i own the land...so its mine, our sancurary from the rest of the world. i don't pay to own my land so someone can get their jollies of an quarter acre of snow...and possibliy endanger my property or my kids well being.
    If your a parent think before you stick somone on a sled even though they are young enough to not even know what the word consiquences or ignorance means. like that kid that got killed out east riding with his dad...12 year old on a 600cc or something like that, i remember hearing about it.
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I battle the same issue at the cabin constantly.

Default front yard

it will not matter what you do there will either a kid from the area or some drunk bum that will tick off the people some how an the rest of the snow machine groups will take it in the shorts for a few people doing crazzy things
    my 2 cts.

Unhappy Ignorance is everywhere my friends

Not to change the snow machine subject, but how would you feel if this happened to you?
    I own a small ranch in Montana and recently some property next to mine was sold. It was bought by a retired couple from ( you guess the state).
    Anyway they built a new home right on the dirt road and not at the back of the property like everyone else did , front door facing, 60' away and next to my horse pasture. They could have built farther away from the road and pasture or at least come over and talk about the situation.
    They saw my horses, barn,loafing shed for the horses before they bought.
    There are others in the area that have horses also and I have been there 8 years
    I get a letter from their attorney telling me to remove my horses because of the dust and smell from my animals or they will be filing suit.
    They are out in their front yard yelling at all who passes because of the dust created on the road.
    These are new comers to the state and retired with an attitude, how do you think they raised there kids.
    Yes I am selling my house and moving up here, however it's to escape the ignorance that is slowly moving North.
    FYI not all of us newcomers are bad people but are being pushed away from other places and seek the normal carefree and freindly life that SOME of AK has left.

geez thats a sucky one. go figure people think life should be built their way regardless of other people. self-fish...not just for special occasions anymore and avaible in fresh and salt water varities.
    Master guide 212

I know how you feel brwnbr,

In early winter my boys, 7 and 5, and I built a snowman in the front yard. We went and had dinner that evening to return home and find that Frosty had ben run over by a four wheeler. Not once, but numerous times. My kids were devestaed and could not understand why someone would ride in our yard when we don't ride in theirs. I could have followed the tracks but I didn't. Next time Frosty's insides will be cinder blocks.

ya cinder blocks. i like that. feel bad for your kids, but sometimes its good to see that the world ain't gentle, fair or smart all the time.
    cinder blocks...hummmm
    Master guide 212

Default Old trappers trick

If they keep jumping the drive in the same spot theres a trick one might try. A well hidden 1/8" snare in just the right location to grab a front ski will put a hurtin on a sled/rider going any faster than a walk. Might just make funniest home videos as he flys through the air with the greatest of ease. ;-) I forgot about a snare on my line one time and caught myself. Itll sure bring things to a stop with a quickness.

I suspect the Troopers would frown on booby traps. My vote is for the paint ball gun.