Thread: Circle hooks, Bobber & Eggs

Default Circle hooks, Bobber & Eggs

I don't here much about using circle hooks drifted under a slip bobber when fishing eggs. Lots of people are in saltwater to reduce mortality, especially in billfish. Does anyone have any experience or have at least tried it with salmon? It was regs & still believe in CA to help with C&R.
    I understand the principal in gamefish is that they are striking the bait and swimming away, in turn buries the hook in the side of the mouth. Salmon while drifting eggs are more just mouthing and swallowing.

A circle hook I think would be more beneficial when fishing off bottom.
    When fishing with a float (bobbers are those red and white plastic things you used as a kid for blue gill and rock bass fishing ) you know instantly when a bite has occured and can react much more quickly, thus deep hooking a fish is much less likely. When bottom bouncing it takes a lot more concentration to detect the pick up.
    I have been fishing eggs under floats for about 30 years and caught tens of thousands of salmon and trout over that time.
    I could probably count the # of deeply hooked fish on my fingers and toes.

It works great. The drag of the bobber as it submerges and the silver turns is just right for spinning the hook into the corner of the mouth. Basically, wait for the bobber to go down and give it a half a second before you set the hook. But don't jerk to set the hook. Lift the rod and tighten the line, and you're connected. Bigger bobbers work lots better than small ones.

Circle hooks work great too without the bobber, but require more "feel" from the angler to set the hook right.

I love to roe fish, but until I switched to circle hooks about 15 years ago, it was strictly to kill fish. Now I can catch and release at will. I bet less than 1 fish in 20 takes the hook anywhere but the corner of the mouth.

Sounds like it works, just don't hear anyone mention it. I typically like to fly fish but when they have lock jaw, THERE is nothing like eggs. I bought some size 2/0 & 4/0 to give it a try on the silvers.

I bet you're happiest with the 4/0. I keep migrating upwards, and currently I'm using 7/0 for the biggest silvers and kings.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have been fishing eggs under floats for about 30 years and caught tens of thousands of salmon and trout over that time.
    Wow.... that's pretty good

So you guys are using eggs for silvers, what about for Kings? Are they as effective on them too?

Are eggs more effective the deeper you go inland or are they effective even close to tidal waters?

If anything, eggs are more effective for kings than silvers. And it doesn't seem to matter whether you're in tidewaters or headwaters.

Jut make sure eggs are legal bait for kings where you are fishing. Some areas are artificials only.

ClearCreek

Default Circle hooks

I can not comment on the use of bobbers and eggs for salmon since I am a fly fisherman, but can give you some proof that circle hooks do work great on salmon. The photo is from last season when the Kenai river was opened to the 6 fish limit. That stringer holds my proxy's limit of 6 reds and my 6 reds. Everyone of those fish were hooked solidly in the corner of their mouths. Circle hooks are the only hooks I use for kings. Just waiting for Anchorage to go back home and them I am back on the river giving the fish something to worry about. Just my $00.02 and I hope you have a great fishing season. Tight lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Rather than the traditional set up with corkies or spin&glows, I usually run a 4x strong trebble (where legal) about the size of a dime with just enough roe to cover the barbs. Using a bobber is only necessary when you don't know where the fish are. When you do know or sight fishing I usually use a 2 smaller split shots (old grey ones are better than new shiny silver ones any day) soft and subtile, Silvers and kings alike will just slurp them in and you wait for the slow downward pull *BING* fish on. By october first my cork handle is usually "rocket red" Its my favorite way to fish silvers in the slower water, sloughs and pools.