Thread: 19' Wenonah Itaska canoe

Default 19' Wenonah Itaska canoe

I am moving to Juneau in August and would bring an extra canoe if anyone were interested in it. I would sell it for $1000.00

The canoe is a 19' Itaska made by Wenonah. It has two shaped seats, the forward seat slides for trimming. The construction material is called Tuffweave, stronger and lighter than fiberglass. The beam is about 36". It can carry two 200lb people and about 300lbs of gear and still have 12" of freeboard. The leading and trailing edges are sharp for easy paddling and tracking. The crossbars and gunnel are aluminum. It has good primary stability and excellent secondary stability.

Default Weight?

How hard is it to portage?

Unit 13

tuff weave on the 19' runs 71lbs..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Portaging canoes..
    if one person portages the canoe, you can figure on not going to far with it without taking some breaks.
    I have found that in our business, if the canoe weighs more than 60 lbs, people start to complain about the weight for portage.
    We also found that over 60 lbs, people start dragging the canoe, and cause lots of damage to them.
    One thing for sure though is that if you own the canoe you will take much better care than many of our renters.
    I have portaged canoes that weigh 84 lbs for over 1/2 mile, stopping every few hundred yards or so for a rest and to go back and get my pack and bring it to the canoe. then pick up the beast and move anouther 200 yds or less and then take a rest going back to get my pack.. this is a good way to move a canoe in portage so you keep your gear close to you and you use different muscles doing it this way.
    Also.. its a state of mind to make portage a evil hard event, or something fun and enjoyable a part of the outdoor event.
    with my scouts, I make up cards with pictures of different plants and animals on the cards. the game is to try and find as many of the plants, and animals on the portage as they can and win a candy bar, or some other prize... Oft times I only portage a hundred yds and stop to eat a snack, sit down and visit for a while and then move a little more,, in the fall,, I pick berries as I go.. looking for watermelon berries, rasberry, low and high bush blue berries and salmon berries.. make the portages part of the whole package, and not a labor event that everyone dreads..
    take your time.. don't push yourself to hate the portage, and that 71 lb canoe will not kill you getting from lake to lake..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years.

You can portage heavy canoes plus part of your camp if you secure the portage yoke of the canoe to the horns of an external frame pack. I make two small loops of rope around the portage yoke, and slip these over the packframe horns. Then, I adjust ballast in the canoe so that it tips backward ever so slightly, and hold the bowline with my hand. One can carry a 100+ lb load for a long ways (as long as any portage I've been on in either swan lake or swanson river side) without stopping.

A yoke of a canoe of any size riding directly on your neck/shoulders for any length of time is a fine and pleasant misery...