Thread: Marlin 1894

Default Marlin 1894

Some of you have been on the forum long enough to remember stories about my beloved 1894/44 mag. You also probably remember that it was stolen out of my pick up a couple of years ago. EKC weren't none to happy for a few days!

Today I walked into the local gunshop as some guy was selling one just like my stolen one but it was obvious that it hadn't seen the use that mine had as it was minus the battle scars. It was of the same vintage though!

Ray, the gunshop owner(and my best friend) wasn't real interested as there isn't a big market for lever guns in these parts and he already had some on the wall that had been there a while. However he didn't have one like this one and knew I'd be interested. I walked away and let the two do their bartering. Soon Ray walked over to me and asked me if I wanted the little 44 for $275! I've never bought a lottery ticket but today I felt like I scratched off a winner.

I've spent the last couple of hours spit shining the old girl and am pretty sure it hasn't had a box of shells through it. There is a little fine freckling on the barrel but I remedied most of that tonight.

There was some talk of deer hunting in Missouri this year! Murphy, can ya git me within a hundred yards of one?

Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Soon Ray walked over to me and asked me if I wanted the little 44 for $275! I've never bought a lottery ticket but today I felt like I scratched off a winner.....
    Congrats EKC; couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Life is good!
    Life is always good, some days it's just much easier to notice than others.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Good things are supposed to happen to good people, and this verifies it. Congrats!

EKC couple questions.. how did your old one shoot?? my son bought a Puma 454 a few years ago to carry wrangling and it just wont shoot so he asked me the other day how I thought a Marlin like yours would shoot.

Next question what part of Mo. are you hunting deer?? Ive hunted texas county some.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    EKC couple questions.. how did your old one shoot?? my son bought a Puma 454 a few years ago to carry wrangling and it just wont shoot so he asked me the other day how I thought a Marlin like yours would shoot.

Next question what part of Mo. are you hunting deer?? Ive hunted texas county some.
    I picked up an 1894 a couple of months ago. It is a tack driver out to 100 yds with 280 gr corbons, which is farther than I hope to ever have to shoot it. Its in the shop right now getting modified so I can shoot 300 plus grain bullets. Unfortunately the 1894 wont feed anything longer than 280 grain bullets without being modified. I plan on using it as my camp gun and feeding it 340 grain buffalo bore bullets. I have fired them one at a time and it also groups under a minute at 100 with a scope mounted. Since it is my camp gun, mainly for keeping big brownie at bay, I removed the scope and hope to keep shots minimal and closer than 100 anyway.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Good deal and I'm sure it will give the Grandkids years of service when you finish with it
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I hunted for several years in the far northern part of the state (Putnam County) and also hunted some in southern Boone county around Ashland. I killed a deer every year with ithe 1894 and even put a real dandy on the wall. I always shot 240 grain Hornady XTP bullets/19 grains of Blue Dot and had great luck. It also needs to be known that I only take boiler room shots....an XTP in the heart lung area always left a very short blood trail but I wouldn't recommend the XTP for shooting one lengthways.

As for accuracy, I zeroed it in at about 75 yards and could hit an apple more times than not at that distance. I only ever shot one deer that was further than 75 yards and it wasn't much further.

Murphy owns some ground in the southern part of the state. I'm really wanting him to come to Iowa and do a handgun hunt with me and he mentioned about me coming down there to hunt with him. Hunting anything with Murphy would be considered an honor whether we kill anything or not!

Brain picking for a few hours over many cups of coffee would ft me just right
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

...I killed a deer every year with ithe 1894 and even put a real dandy on the wall. I always shot 240 grain Hornady XTP bullets/19 grains of Blue Dot and had great luck. It also needs to be known that I only take boiler room shots....
    Never seen a deer that a .44 mag in the boiler room won't put down, regardless of the kind of bullet. Keep'em in the vitals and deer have no choice but to simply die. You've got me itching for a carbine EKC; maybe I'll look into it later this fall....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If you can find one, do yourself a favor and pick up a "companion" for the 1894/44- Get one in 25/20 for small game and plinking. Mine is startlingly accurate and has almost eliminated the 22 LR from my small game battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If you can find one, do yourself a favor and pick up a "companion" for the 1894/44- Get one in 25/20 for small game and plinking. Mine is startlingly accurate and has almost eliminated the 22 LR from my small game battery.
    I have been looking at the 39As and would love to get one of the carbines.. The 25/20 does sound fun. What bullets do you load in it...do you cast your own? You got the wheels turning!

I've never had any luck with the 60 grain jacketed contraptions from Hornady, though they are great in the 256 Win. Fortunately, the easy-to-find Speer 75 grain FNs are super performers. If you can find them any more (used to get them from Midway) the 86 grain Remington FNs are also terrific. I cast 86 grain FNGC's, and probably shoot those more than any others. The most accurate out of my gun is the Speer, which has two very fortunate "sweet spots" in the range of velocities. They're tack drivers down at around 1200 fps for small game and again at around 1900 fps for varmints.

Yowser BB! I have found several pretty clean 25-20s but the folks what owns them are prouder than punch of the little rascals. I haven't found anything that suites my liking that is under a grand! May get one of the 39M "Mountie" after all.

Holy cow! I had no idea. I bought mine new and quit watching, cuzz I never plan to sell it. They only made it a couple of years, as far as I know. I'm hoping the other owners are so proud of them as shooters, rather than collector/speculators betting on "value" from scarcity. You might take a look for the same model in 32/20. They made it a lot longer (and as far as I know still might), so prices should be more reasonable. I can verify that it's virtually as much fun as the 25-20.

Now you have me wondering about that 25-35 Model 94 Winnie I bought in their "final" years. Crossbolt safety and all, it's a treat to shoot. If the speculators have their paws on that model too, I better shoot it lots more and wear some of the shine off it.

I lucked into a 39a mountie last year in mint cond. Thought i did good when I got it for 400 bucks! Its a shooter too.

I lucked into a 39a mountie last year in mint cond. Thought i did good when I got it for 400 bucks! Its a shooter too.
    I'd say you did good! I bid $500 on one the other day and didn't get it and it wasn't mint!