Thread: Suggestions for Montague deer?

Default Suggestions for Montague deer?

I have really been wanting to go hunt blacktails and Ive heard that Montague offers some fairly good hunting. Curious if anyone here has hunted there and maybe know of some reputable services(flight service, or even guide service) that are priced decently. Thanks for any info.

So Im going to assume that no one has hunted this place and I should look elsewhere.

I don't know of any flight services or guides, but there are boat drop offs available. I am sure a search of this forum would produce some companies. We rented a state service cabin. The toughest part is going up, above tree line every day, and coming back down, takes awhile. Sure would be nice to set up camp on the top, but the bears and weather does not provide the needed comfort level to camp on the top. Also, no way to dry your clothes, if you camp in a tent, since trees on the island do not burn worth a ****. On the other hand, i met people that shot deer right behind the cabin, after hiking for days around the island without success.

Hunted it three times. Then went to Kodiak. Never went back to Montague after going to Kodiak.
    Tennessee

Been to Stump bay on the southeastern side side a few years ago. Rented the forest service cabin there and shot our limit without venturing to the top. Used a fly-in service out of Seward, we took a beaver over. Lots of Brownies in the area though.
    BK

Hunted it three times. Then went to Kodiak. Never went back to Montague after going to Kodiak.
    Ditto on that from me.

Once Bear Lake Air quit flying out there I have not found anyone I would consider "reasonably" priced for flying out to Montague. I've never done a boat trip out there, but I guess that might be a good way to go if you want to hunt the northern sides of the island. For the southern side it's pretty much fly-in only. I like hunting out there, but using my airmiles to get to Kodiak and flying in Seahawk's beaver saves me over $500 vs. what I have found price wise for getting out to Montague.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Been there! Done that. 4 days of soaking rain. Boat trip to the Northern side, drug anchor one night in rough WX. Cost about $400 hr traveling time to get out there. Split the cost between guys, about 1 1/2 hr to get out there from Valdez. There's deer, but I wouldn't say its the best place to hunt.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel