Thread: Herring Recipes, Smoke, Fry 'em up?

Default Herring Recipes, Smoke, Fry 'em up?

%%%
    Ok, so I can't get out of my head, this one time when a Longline Crewman, a German, guy just over from Europe, insisted,
    "This Herring Bait is Beautiful, we gotta try cookin' some up," He then proceeded to come into the Galley and fry up some of the fresh Herring right out of the bait box.
    It tasted great, we all agreed.......
    It was a long time ago, were we just really hungry that day???

So, this afternoon, my 3yr old and I went out jigging for some Herring in front of the canneries in town and got Fifteen Gorgeous Herring, Not enough to do a Pickling Batch,
    Anybody got any ideas for maybe Smoking them, or even pan Frying?

Can I filet these, leave the skin attached and hang 'em in the smoker? or Just cook them like Trout? Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hi Kodiakkrain.
    I'm born and raised in Denmark, were we are have and old tradition of eating herring.
    You can do following-

#1 Salt them; cut of the head and pull the gut out with it, but DON'T open the belly!!! Rinse them. Put them on their back's, tail to tail and cover with salt, 80 good sized herrings will need approx 2.2 lbs of salt, put them a bit apart and be assure that the brine produced will cover. After 3-4 days rinse them and repeat but now put them closer together, and put a nice layer of salt on top, put a bit pressure on them to keep them down, if the brine do not cover you can make more of 0.8 gallons of water and 2.2 lbs of salt an egg should float on the brine then it's strong enough. Then you just take it up rinse it and eat it.

#2 Or do as above and then rinse them after 2 weeks filet them, take of the skin and bone put them in a marinade of vinegar and sugar, and sliced onions, a few pebercorns and eat with fried eggs and boild potatoes fried on a skillet with either lard or butter not oil.

#3 Do as number 1, and grill them overr open fire hanging in their head.

#4 Just fry them. Eat with boiled potatoes and "gravy" made of a spoonfull of butter and a spoonfull of flour about a pint of milk and as much parsley as you want taste with salt.

#5 Do again as number 1 and then fry them eat with pickeld beet and a strong mustard on ryebread

#6 or my favorite feed your dog on them I'm not fond of herring...
    "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

Default Wow, Salteeeeee

Thanks Black Ram, that is a Great Post!!

Don't have a dog, and gotta admit I don't know if I'm Northern European enough to do all that Salt, tho my Grandparents were all immigrants, Finnish on Mom's side and Swedish on Dad's, so it should be in there somewhere

I'll probably try #4 first then dive into the process and try #3 next,

Interestingly enough my parents are in town visiting, so I read them your recipes,

They were Hmmmming and Awwwwing all the way through !!!!
    So, I must be missing something Salteeeee,

Anyone else??? Seems Smoking them should work pretty well as is Very Oily as Bait??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Take a herring the size your son is holding, cut about 6-7 slits head to tail just through the fillet. Stick a 20/0 tuna circle hook through the gill plate, attach to 80" test line with a 16-oz lead weight, drop that sucker to about 200' and catch a big ol'halibut. Now you have a real fish to cook and eat.

I've had herring smoking on mind lately and was wondering how they would turn out.
    I like a good hard smoke on my fish and thought the oily content of the herring would be great with a hard smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks Black Ram, that is a Great Post!!

Don't have a dog, and gotta admit I don't know if I'm Northern European enough to do all that Salt, tho my Grandparents were all immigrants, Finnish on Mom's side and Swedish on Dad's, so it should be in there somewhere

I'll probably try #4 first then dive into the process and try #3 next,

Interestingly enough my parents are in town visiting, so I read them your recipes,

They were Hmmmming and Awwwwing all the way through !!!!
    So, I must be missing something Salteeeee,

Anyone else??? Seems Smoking them should work pretty well as is Very Oily as Bait??