Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pray for the shrimp pot thief

Default pray for the shrimp pot thief

SIMILAR TO THE NEW SONG- I pray they hit a log or rock and rip the outdrive or motor off and sink their boat and be hypothermic within an inch of their life. but survive.
    felt I should pray for the low life that stoled my shrimp set. With 3 pots on it.
    if any one saw someone pulling pots near Nowell point just south of Eshamy late tuesday night or early wed. other than my red, white and blue bowpicker. please let me know.
    2 brand new collapsable pots, from the potbuilder, first time i've used them
    really ruined my 4 day trip, what a way to start
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Pat,
    Sorry to hear that.
    This is getting ridiculous.
    BK

Dang vermin! Not to jump to exonerate the gillnet fleet but we're confined to the Main Bay subdistrict which is the bay only because they want more wild pink escapement. I got my 4 stolen in June it sucks. Potbuilder gets richer we get madder grrr!

Pat,
    I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. Did you get to haul to pots at all ? Only thing i can say is that it seems to me like that area has a good current running most of the time so maybe they drifted a long ways before fetching up on the bottom ?? Did you look down current at all? They might have gone a mile or more before stopping, just a guess on my part.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Dang vermin! Not to jump to exonerate the gillnet fleet but we're confined to the Main Bay subdistrict which is the bay only because they want more wild pink escapement. I got my 4 stolen in June it sucks. Potbuilder gets richer we get madder grrr!
    I don't mind getter richer but i sure hate to hear of gear being stolen or worse yet lost and fishing with no buoys on it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

potbuilder- more power to you for making a buck on these your product is cheaper than brand x and better built.
    those 2 pots had never been fished before other 2 of your pots did good on string that did not get ripped off.
    doubt they drifted off had 600 foot of line plus other 4 pot length i got from you ( 425 long???) and was in 450 feet of water with none deeper for 1/2 mile.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    potbuilder- more power to you for making a buck on these your product is cheaper than brand x and better built.
    those 2 pots had never been fished before other 2 of your pots did good on string that did not get ripped off.
    doubt they drifted off had 600 foot of line plus other 4 pot length i got from you ( 425 long???) and was in 450 feet of water with none deeper for 1/2 mile.
    sounds like you had plenty of buoyline Pat but i have had my gear sail quite a ways with a weird hard running bottom current, it ain't always the same on the bottom as it is on top. If you get down that ways again soon i'd take a long ride in the way the current was running and you never know you might get lucky.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Unhappy Sorry you lost your gear but...

To many times I have had a pot drift away from the others, as it didn't touch for some reason. Sometimes the line catches and shortens itself by a hundred or more feet and the pot is just dangling. My buddies have had the same thing happen plenty of times, just don't know what's on the bottom or how your line strung out.

Also, for those of you who put more than two pots on a string are either foolish or rich. I see no benefit to more than two on a string, just about everyone I have ever spoken to who has tried more than two pots on a line has lost them like that. I know guys that lost five at a whack and some others that lost one just because it hooked something and wouldn't come up. That leaded line isn't rated to pull like an anchor line, heck anyone actually know what it's rated at???

Sorry you lost your pots. I am just a little suspect about the percentage of pot thieves vs the mysterious ocean taking them. From all the posts about losing pots to thieves over the years I would have to say that more people would be getting caught in the act of stealing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Also, for those of you who put more than two pots on a string are either foolish or rich. I see no benefit to more than two on a string,
    There is no doubt in my mind that I am not rich so I must be foolish yet I haven't yet lost a pot when I had 3 or more on the line - As far as a benefit - When using 4 pots each on 2 lines instead of 2 per line I need 2 less buoys, 2000 feet less line, the space it take to hold all of that, and I can check and reset the lines in 1/2 the time. Seems as though it costs more to fish with 2 pots per line - but that is just my foolish calculation.

Myers states;
    "Also, for those of you who put more than two pots on a string are either foolish or rich. I see no benefit to more than two on a string, just about everyone I have ever spoken to who has tried more than two pots on a line has lost them like that. "

Guess you got another fool here, according to your logic! Cause we're definetly not rich. Been running 3 pots on a line for years, no issues. As Rambling raven stated, lots less gear to carry when you run two strings vs. 1/2 dozen or more.

Myers states;
    "From all the posts about losing pots to thieves over the years I would have to say that more people would be getting caught in the act of stealing them."

Huh, are you kidding. Just because they don't get caught doesn't mean thieves don't exist. It's HUGE water out there. With that logic, does it mean there are no crooks in the valley bacause hardly any arrests are made for crimes commited? Sometimes those darn thieves are tough to catch.

Again Pat, sorry to hear someone STOLE your gear. Pat is a great guy that has LOTS of experience on the water.
    BK
    Last edited by bkmail; 07-25-2010 at 06:59. Reason: added quotes to myers comments

myers- earlier in the year i did run 4 lines with 2 pots each. and lost one line but i think that was pots that drifted away as i was near much deeper spot. not theives

potbuilder- we ran 2-3 miles each direction to be sure pots had not drifted away just in case , water was flat calm so we could see along ways and i used binocsto check out even further.

I can see how having less line and bouys would be nice, but loseing a string of more than two pots isn't worth it to me personally.

Wow, I run 5 per line.

This is nuts

H3ll, its starting to sound like folks should put a camera with a wireless transmitter going to a recording receiver nearby, just to catch who's doing it. A locator beacon or something....

Its gotta be only one or two different boats doing it, I can't image that it's common.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Mine are out there on a 3 day soak......hope they are still there when I get out there tonight.

Lightbulb

Someone needs to develop an ink bag for pots, kinda like what a bank teller places in a bank robbers bag with a special way for the owner to deactivate it as it comes on board. Thief pulls up your pot, ink goes off all over them and their boat. Imagine them trying to come back to harbor or hide covered in bright floresent orange permenant ink.

I can empathize, pots lost to theft or any circumstance is painful.

The current can really mess up your day. I have learned to always set up hill, and my wife always reminds of this rule. The only time I lost pots (3 of them) was trying to set along a steep slope at 600 feet, problem was the slop dropped down to 1100 and the current was not in my favor. I did however have another 3 pot set so the weekend was not entirely lost.

Another time setting pots off a fiord I almost learned the hard way that strong currents can move your set a half mile. I was setting up hill and dropped my last pot in 450 feet with 400ft of sinking line in addition to 400ft of floating line to the first pot and a clip-on weight attached at 600ft. The whole set drifted out into 850 feet with my A1 buoy half sunk keeping that last pot and clip-on weight afloat. So even with a 350 foot safety factor to my first pot the whole set was almost lost.

I too am not rich but appear to be foolish for attaching 3 pots per string. The only time I lost pots was because I misjudged the depth and didnít have enough buoy line, it would not have matters if I had 1 or 5 pots on that string. Now that my Ace Pot Puller is working right (the switch burned up) Iím able to snatch 3 pots pretty quick even in strong current. I just donít have room on my little boat for 3 tubs of line.

The 3 pot set benefits are many:
    Less gear to hall
    Less money invested in that gear
    Less time pulling the pots
    Less time setting the pots
    More time to do other things

So I guess that makes me foolish for risking 3 pots instead of 2; indeed I am a shrimping fool.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I believe I struck a nerve with those who string many pots on one line, my apologies and good luck with that.

My cousin ties fishing weights at intervals along his line that will come up and whack theiving pot pullers. He puts marks on his line so he knows when the weights are coming up and he stops at the weight and pulls by hand and then puts it back on his puller.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Someone needs to develop an ink bag for pots, kinda like what a bank teller places in a bank robbers bag with a special way for the owner to deactivate it as it comes on board. Thief pulls up your pot, ink goes off all over them and their boat. Imagine them trying to come back to harbor or hide covered in bright floresent orange permenant ink.
    I think this is Really THE Solution, can you imagine once that got around?

Just one article in the paper with a picture of someone standing in cuffs with Flourescent ink all over themselves AND their boat, at the dock?? Man who would dare risk pulling any pots but their own after that product got out there? You'd never know what was down there. Maybe it would have to be something that couldn't be seen coming up, something painted on the buoyline that peels off and flies all over the boat when run through the hauler.

Potbuilder, a great new product? Have you ever heard of such a thing on the East Coast among the Lobstermen?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast