Thread: Fixed power scopes?

Default Fixed power scopes?

I am thinking about buying my daughters a Ruger M77 frontier rifle in 7mm-08. Right now I am torn between staying with a standard Leupold 2.5x8 in the standard location or going to a fixed power and mounting it forward. I looked around on the net and didn't see any fixed power scopes with more than 3.7 inches or eye relief. How much eye relief will that mounting location require? Has anyone on here done this with this rifle or any others that mount that far forward?

Let me know what you have done and what worked.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, If your looking for a scout set-up, the scout scopes usually run about 9"(depending on the brand, my leupy FX2 is about 9.5 I believe) eye relief. You might also get away with a handgun scope.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Rob:
    You might want to consider it from a "Child Abuse" angle.

That's a mighty short barrel on those things. The noise has got to be Sharp, and Loud. What about your "Baby Girls", ears?

A longer barrel would be so much better.

Just wanted you to know.
    Smitty of the North

Don't look for a regualr scope with long eye relief. Look for a scope labeled "Scout". These are the styles made with the eye relief you are seeking.
    Tennessee

Smitty,

I had thought about the increased noise with that short of a barrel, but I figured hearing protection should take care of that. I would love to see an actual decibel comparison from one rifle to the next, with different length barrels and different calibers.

This fall my wife fired her 270wsm while laying in the prone to my left and that had my left ear ringing for days. I will not be making that mistake again.

Has anyone shot this rifle or been around one being fired? What cartridge/barrel length does this compare to?

Snowolfe and Blink,

I have been looking at leupolds scout just wasn't sure if 2.5 magnification was enough or if I needed a 4x. So far I have not been able to find any other manufacturer that has as much eye relief as the Leupold 2.5 scout does.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Rob:

Iím not an expert but it may not be just the decibel level, youíre concerned with. It could be the frequency or pitch.

The trouble is, you probably wonít want to hunt wearing ear protection. Otherwise you will, or should be. I dunno how old your daughters are, but I wonder if they might lose interest if the rifle hurts their ears. (If your ears rang for days, you have sustained some ear damage.)

My ears may be extry sensitive, but I dunno. I usta own a Rem 600 in 6mm Remington. As I remember, the barrel length was 18.5 inches, and it hurt my ears so bad, even with cigarette filters in my ears, that I sold it. I wish Iíd have gotten one in 35 Remington. I donít think that cartridge would be as bad. My 30-30 isnít.

Until I had it replaced recently, my 280 Remington had a 20 inch barrel, and I could live with that, but 22Ē on up is better IMO. Now it has a 26Ē barrel.

My wife has a 22Ē barrel on her 7x57, and itís OK. Her scope is a Weaver K4.

That little ruger has a lot of appeal due to itís small size. Iíve toyed with getting one, and having the barrel replaced, but that adds to the expense.

I donít think that power is critical for one of those scout scopes, that are mounted so far away. The advantage is that you can see the sights, and every thing else in front of you at the same time. Your view isnít blocked, any more than with iron sights. It should be great for charging bears. I donít know how well they work for longer ranges.

Smitty of the North