Thread: Spotting scope suggestions???

Default Spotting scope suggestions???

Looking for advice from those of you who are knowledgable in this dept. The whole ?x?x? thing eludes me. I am looking for a good spotting scope and would appreciate good suggestions on magnification and brand for moose/bear/bou hunting. I'll be working with about a grand for $$ and would like something somewhat packable.
    Last year my partner shot his bull 1/8 mile from where we parked our vehicle and I borrowed his Bushnell scope and took the 4 wheeler in 36 miles breaking trail only to get discouraged with his scope and use my binocs to spot the bull I took.
    I've always used just Binocs for glassing but the time has come for me to invest in a GOOD scope. Any help would be appreciated and am not above buying used if that's what I need to do to get a good scope in my price range. I've been told you can get too much magnification and you just end up seeing heat waves and such.
    Any help is appreciated.

Really a scope is never going to replace your Bino's. A good pair of quality binoculars should be the first order of business if you don't already have them. Generally the scope comes into play to judge the animal you spotted w/ your bino's. There are a few decent scopes in the 1K range. I have a Pentax PF65EDII that fits that bill nicely and does very well. Nikon field scopes can be found in that range as well. Most people use variable power scopes and as long as they go down to 15-20 power on the low end they will server you well. There is lots of argument on the ideal top end magnification. Some say anything over 45X is useless but I have used high end glass up to around 60x and in the right conditions it did fantastic. The most common objective size for spotters used in AK seems to be in the 60-65mm range which seems to be a good compromise between light gathering ability and portability.

Thanks for the input. Your comments and some digging around in this subforum got me thinking. I've never really incorporated spotting scopes into my glassing but just used my bino's and spend alot of time behind them.
    Where I took my bull last year and where I'll be returning to this year there is great glassing oportunities being up high and wide open.
    That being said I don't have the good glass most of you use but am ready to go that direction. My bino's that I use are Olympus exps-1's in 10x42. Quite honestly Im sure I don't know what Im missing with the higher end stuff out there.
    Would I more benefit by putting my grand towards better bino's and continueing to hunt without a spotter? My Olympus have worked fine for me but it's all I know as well.
    I dunno, kinda on the fence now.

You may be able to get both if you can find an extra $300. Doug has Minox HG 10x43 bino's for $500 as a close out special (they are regular 1K). That plus a Pentax PF65EDII spotter ($800) will set you up very nicely. That said those are website prices and generally a call to doug letting him know you are from the forum gets some money shaved off the published prices.

Another option is to substitute the Zen-Ray EDII bino's and cut some of the cost. I have heard good things about them but honestly haven't used them so can't truly give an opinion. I do know that the Minox are truly great, I have noticed things as ridiculous as a moose's ear twitch in an alder patch when the animal was otherwise completely concealed w/ mine. To do much better than this combo is going to take you into the thousands and honestly once Doug's deals are gone you could probably recoup most if not all of your purchase price on the Minox bino's if you decided to sell them for an upgrade later, provided you take care of them of course.

Plenty of posts on this. Use the search function.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks Nitro,already have but the new info Lujon just offered up is a result of this new post. I definitely understand the monotony of reading over the same questions though.
    Sounds like you know much more than I on this subject Lujon and your suggestion seems to be a good plan for me. Havent really heard of Minox before but just researched it and it looks well made. I'll bet the clarity is night and day from what I'm using eh?
    I appreciate your insight,Thanks

Advanced search
    Single content type
    Options
    Outdoor Optics
    Keyword: Spotting scopes
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thank you so much Capt. Nitro Sir!!! But....... Grog no understand. No make fire, how expect make search?

As stated I did search before posting, alot of times you get different perspectives by asking the same question in a little different manner. May even spark up info like Lujon offered up about where to buy,a deal to be had or a personal piece someone chimes in to sell you.
    Again, I was looking for the kind of info and help Lujon offered up and thanks for that.
    Any body else have any opinions on what in my price range may be working for them? I'm seriously thinking of Lujons picks as now in the Minox bino's and Pentax spotter.
    Must go now,Mongo hungry.... Mongo like candy.

You can easily get serviceable binocs for ~$300 or less. 8x is a real friendly binoc magnification for most/all uses. Objective lens size between 30-45mm. For product lines, I have personal experience with Pentax DCF WP and DCF SP. If you want a cheap binoc with optics all out of proportion to their cost, get a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x.

For spotter, I have the aforementioned Pentax PF-65 and it's great. With that spotter, the eyepiece can be purchased separate from the body, and really, a really good eyepiece makes it happen. I have the pentax XL-14 (predecessor to the current XW-14) and it gives one fixed power of 28x with a HUGE field of view that is very bright and clear and useful. There is a sale going on open box Minox - that might be the ticket. Get the one with the 62mm objective. With spotters, an angled eyepiece generally allows you to use a smaller/lighter tripod, and they are really no big deal to get lined up on stuff you see in the binocs, despite what people say.

You are right there is a sale on the open box to get to the 499 price point, but even the brand new sealed are in limited supply. Minox moved from Japanese manufacturing to German and the price doubled but by all accounts there is no noticeable difference in quality. So Doug picked up the last of the Japanese stock and once they are gone you will have to pay 2x as much for the "made in Germany" logo.

There are also plenty of good reports on the Pentax DCF series but I found them slightly less bright and heavier though very well made. The Minox are Magnesium bodied which is big money most places, very light, and very strong. Vortex also makes very nice mid priced glass, neck and neck w/ the Minox HG's on image quality but heavier and more expensive when compared to Doug's deal on Minox.

I can't say one way or the other on the Leupy bino's but I haven't held a set that I liked yet and that includes the gold ring side by side w/ my Minox. The Nikon Monarch line has some great reviews historically but I have been hearing of more and more failures. Most likely due to cost saving measures to increase the margin since increasing the cost of them would kill sales, at least until they redesign them.

All of the above glass is available through doug at Cameraland.

my .02

All good info to chew on, I am fairly set on the Minox HG for my binoc choice. There is a good used spotter I found on another site and have corresponded with the owner a little on it.
    What would be either of yours opinion on a Nikon Fieldscope in 25-75x82? Says he has a soft case and two fixed power eyepieces to go with. Concerned about size and weight so gonna try to find one in town to look close at.
    Says he paid 1800.00 for all new and would like "around" a thousand

I don't know if anyone here else noticed but a Nikon Fieldscope ED82 showed up on Craigslist new in the box. Owner says wife bought it for him for Christmas and it wasn't his thing.
    It has a 25-75 eyepiece and came with a new unused bracket system for digi-scoping with a camera.
    He wanted 955.00 and accepted the 800 I gave him. For me I don't think it's to terribly large or heavy. Any pros or cons on this scope? Also need a softcase and tri-pod.
    Tomorrow I'll order me up a set of Minox HG's from Niel at camaraland and should be pretty good to go I spect.