Thread: rowing a willie

Default rowing a willie

how hard is it to row a 19' willie drift boat?

I own a 19'x66" Willie and it rows like a dream. I had a 16' Fishrite before this boat and I like the way the Willie handles more than the Fishrite. Smooth moving, easier to stop in the current than the Fishrite, just a dream of a boat to row.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Default depends on what you are doing

If you are just floating down stream from hole to hole, rowing to manuever and such, its no big deal. Now load it with 4 passengers, gear, cooler, outboard, and try to stop it in current while keeping 4 lines of king gear straight and its a different story. You'll work up a sweat in no time!

I had a 16' Willie and could handle it fairly well with a load....I'm not a big guy at 5'9" 165 lbs. A 19' will be similar effort to a bit more. Hope that helps.

MY 19' Willie is easier to hold loaded than the 16' Fishrite I had.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Deal with the extra 55 pounds and get a 20'x72". I have rowed everything from homemade 14 footers to my current 20 footer.

The extra stability from the 72" bottom makes the boat easier to row than a much smaller boat. The stability is extremely invaluable if you fish in powerboat territory.