Thread: What are Ya'lls Pins Set for a Sheep Hunt?

Default What are Ya'lls Pins Set for a Sheep Hunt?

So, like everyone else I am sure, I have been shooting my bow. Right Now to about 50yds, not as comfortable as I have been in the past but still have a month or so. I only have a 5 pin sight, So my first pin is 10 and then out to 50.
    I don't see it really practical that I am going to get to with in 10yds of a sheep, Maybe 20 if the clouds part, and the Stars align kinda of thing happens. So the question is should, I reset my 10yd pin to 20yds and go from there that way my last pin can be at 60yds, or go 10,20,30,40, 60 kind of thing. What are ya'lls pins set at?

Depending on What you are shooting you could set your first pin for 20. If you are comfortable with taking shots out to 60 you can set your pins 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60; but if you aren't comfortable with the longer shot I wouldn't bother moving your pins.

But the it is easier to cover the gaps between pins if you have them closer but if you have a shot between the 40 and 60 you are more likely to miss than if you drop the 10 pin to a 20.

Currently I am 20 40 50 60 80. Might put the 60 out to 70 and split it with the 50 for 60, like I do for the 30. Granted I am shooting FOB'd Victory V-1's. Freaking awesome and will take a 80 yard shot if properly available.

Pins?????????????
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Pins?????????????
    You know, if you ever want to mount a sight to that purty longbow

A 10 yard pin is pretty pointless. I set mine at 20,30,40,50 and 60. I've used the 50 on a caribou but I doubt I'll ever use the 60 on anything other than foam or paper.

Don't be surprised that you can get close to sheep. They actually aren't that smart in my opinion. The hard part is getting to them. In good cover and proper wind you can get REALLY close. On my last hunt years ago with an any sheep permit I got within 6 feet of a lamb and 15 feet of his mother. I couldn't bring myself to shoot them. The rams we eventually got onto were only 30 yards away and my buddy missed, blowing them out of the country.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by ga2akwild View Post
    You know, if you ever want to mount a sight to that purty longbow
    Your far more likely to see me moutning a sheep!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I recently put a ProHunter fiber optic Micro Sight on my bow I have it sighted at 10 yd increments 10 to 80 yards and room for more range possibly 90 and then some. But you need to set your distance at shot time as there is only one pin It is as bright as a flashlight amazing. For years I used a 3 pin Cobra 15,30,45 respectively never needed more. Will try my new sight out in September when I am home hopefully on a sheep. for now it is just go practice at night. long range requires speed where sights are concerned at least from the perspective of sight size. I shoot an 80lb PSE 31" draw with IBO of 310 fps never have chronoed it but it is fast Whatever you decide good luck on your hunt.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Default 8 pins

I have an xforce 6 shooting 320 fps set at 76lbs. I start my pins at 30 and have 7 more going all the way out to 100yds. Practice practice practice and know what the wind is doing. If there is any doubt to the wind start bringing in your shots. Even at 50 yds if the wind is stiff the arrow is in flight a long time and can move alot....