Thread: Motorized boat restrictions on the Little Su?

Default Motorized boat restrictions on the Little Su?

Does anyone know if there are any time periods with motor or no-wake restrictions on the Little Su?

If not, where / when is best to avoid the worst boat traffic for a family float trip?

Thanks in advance!

There are no restrictions. Weekdays between salmon runs will probably be as good as it can get. It's a busy river period.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

If you are pulling out at the Burma Launch you should not run into many boaters. IMO - Most boaters go downstream. There is a No Wake Zone right at the launch.... or there was.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    If you are pulling out at the Burma Launch you should not run into many boaters. IMO - Most boaters go downstream. There is a No Wake Zone right at the launch.... or there was.
    The no wake is ONLY at the boat launch. There is nothing on the rest of the river. My experience is you will run into plenty boats above the launch as well. Thats why I suggest mid week as opposed to weekend drifting.

Thumbs up

By they way, didn't mean to make it sound so argumentative. Your correct most boat traffic goes down stream.

I've floated the Little Su every year for 8 years now from the highway to Burma, and weekdays would probably be best. But if thats not an option the boat traffic isn't too bad on the weekends. You will come across a few boats in the first quarter and then even more boats in the last quarter of the float, but there will be a good chunk of the trip with no boat traffic. I will say most boaters are pretty courteous of floaters, but there are always a couple that go by that just don't care. Just rough info based on my personal experiences.
    FYI, I generally float it either the 1st or 2nd weekend in Aug, never tried it during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by brodemiah View Post
    I've floated the Little Su every year for 8 years now from the highway to Burma, and weekdays would probably be best. But if thats not an option the boat traffic isn't too bad on the weekends. You will come across a few boats in the first quarter and then even more boats in the last quarter of the float, but there will be a good chunk of the trip with no boat traffic. I will say most boaters are pretty courteous of floaters, but there are always a couple that go by that just don't care. Just rough info based on my personal experiences.
    FYI, I generally float it either the 1st or 2nd weekend in Aug, never tried it during the week.
    Accurate advice here on where you will encounter the majority of the boat traffic.

Keep one thing in mind while floating the little su.... You can hear a boat coming long before they get to you. Use some common sense and try to get to a safe spot in the river to be passed by the boat. If you can pull over everyone will be safer.

Most boaters are courteous but if you are floating broadside on a blind corner or in the deep channel then the boater will have to make evasive maneuvers to get around you...Coming off step causes you to have less control of the boat and puts you at risk of hitting bottom and causing expensive damage to your boat, or possibly running in to you. especially if the boat is headed downstream.

I used to run the upper section from Houston down 10-12 miles and make that trip 4-6 times a day (riverboat service). I tried to be as courteous to floaters as possible. Often even sucking rocks or hitting a stump to do so. In reference to the above poster and the some boaters who "just don't care" I would say that sometimes it is necessary to make a pass that way for everyone's safety, but 100 percent of the time the floater will think your an ahole.

I had a guy pull a gun on me one time as I had to make a pass on step to keep from t-boning him on a blind corner while he was broadside taking up the whole river. A few hours later when I returned with a state trooper to talk about the gun incident, he was quick to apologize and claimed that I saved his life with my quick move, but I digress.

Bottom line there's room on the river for both user groups if you try to put yourself in each others shoes a lot of the hard feelings can be avoided.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

You should find good fishing for most of your trip.

Hmmm, you mean you don't have one of those magic jet boats that turns without power?

Funny how many times I have what a jetski smack a dock, boat or other jetski while the driver was frantically turning the bars left to right trying to figure out why it isn't turning.

We had a fairly close call yesterday (jet on jet) downstream of Burma. It amazes me how some people throw caution to the wind and barrel around corners at full speed. We ran in to three different boats that were on the "wrong" side of the river on the way back up to the landing.... 98% of the lower river is deep enough there isn't a problem keeping to the right with a jet!

There should be a drivers ed course for jet boat operators! Many people don't realize they don't ride on rails and they can't hold the inside of a corner at high speed. Slow down for the corners and hold to the right!

On a lighter note.... I was minding my own advise and holding (a little too tight) to the inside of a sharp corner and rubbed the sand which spun me out and put me into the brush. No harm/damage, but at least I was on my side of the road! The guys anchored right around the corner had a good laugh though (as did my daughter and friend....)!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Since moose is right around the courner I thought it might be useful to some readers to know that the susitna flats rec ares is closed to hunting from a motorized boat.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

northriver21 is right there are times when its necessary and better for all to pass onstep, and just want to say I don't always assume the person is an a-hole. But after you float it enough you get to know the difference. Especially good advice about what the floater can do to avoid any potential problems, you can hear a boat coming a pretty good ways off, and the person floating is able to do more to avoid any potential problems than the boater is.
    But honestly not a big issue, its a great float, and haven't had any close calls myself. Did have someone with us one year flip their canoe but didn't have anything to do with boat traffic. Just a sweeper that they weren't able to avoid. And I normally see someone every year who has flipped their canoe, and again none of them have ever said was due to a boater. Not sure why I see someone almost every year thats gone in the drink, but I think the fact that its a pretty mellow float means a lot of people with not much experience are out there floating it. Another reason could be that even someone with experience can flip a canoe.