Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai fans: Name that hole!

Default Kenai fans: Name that hole!

OK something a little lighter to discuss about the Kenai than what's been dominating the board lately.

I find it pretty interesting to see how certain fishing "holes" in the lower river have changed names with a younger generation of anglers, while others have "stuck" over the years. Maybe it's the erosion altering the landscape (J/K)? What do you guys like to call these popular fishing areas?

1) Caribou Flats, the Cow Pasture, or simply the Pasture?

2) The Bluffs or the Sonar?

3) Mud Island? Do you have a different name for the stretch running alongside the island versus the stretch directly below the island.

4) Lots of variations on the stretch between Beaver Creek and the bottom of the Eagle Rock drift.... Chicago (upper middle lower), Crossover, Blood Alley, Upper Beav?

5) What about the cryptic Octopus? Nobody seems to agree on just where this mythical place really is.

6) I've heard the stretch above Eagle Rock on river-left referred to as the ***** Hole, but I prefer to call it Pete's Hole after a good buddy that would sit on that 1/4 mile run thru literally every stage of the tide. (Just like the infamous 1/4 mile Harry, yeah Pete?)

7) Honeymoon and Fall(ing) In are universally agreed upon, but there's quite a bit of variation on what folks mean when they say Airplane.

8) Is it Stewarts or Riverbend? Is it Porter's or RiverQuest?

I could go on and on up the river. The names often change but the places are all the same.

What's even more interesting is the history behind some of the names.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

A little off topic, but it's the same thing with ski runs at Alyeska. You won't find the names Rag Doll or Brown Shorts anywhere on a trail map, but they're a couple of my favorite little spots.

-Brian

1) Pasture
    2) Sonar

3) Mud

4) Chicago (right above the Beav) Cross Over the rest to ER drift, But my first time on the river it was described to me as Blood Alley

5) Octapus: the snag right above the Beav if you backtroll too far!

6) Gravel Run or in the old days the "toilet hole" of which there seem to be many "toilet holes" from the old days

7) Honeymoon (some circles is called "honeymooners"), pretty consistent, Fallin' in (one of your favorites) the inside slot above Honeymoon

Airplane, off the tip of the island below Porters (Riverbend)

8) Stewarts (not Riverbend)

9) Older users, Porters (although that is used a lot) but is being referred to as Riverquest more and more.

Good thread doc, a little "fun" controversy.

Smile Holes!!

Thanks Doc - its nice to have a fun posting once in a while. I've fished the river since the mid-seventies so I guess that would make me an old timer.....
    1. Pastures

2. Bluffs

3. Mud Island including the run next to it

4. Cross over

5. New one on me.....Yukon has a good suggestion though.....I call that snag something that the moderators wouldn't allow on this post. I also call myself names when I forget about it being there!

6. I've heard several names for it including the one Doc posted and also #$?"^^&%* Draggers Run.

7. Honeymoon, Falling In and the location of Airplane I've always used is the same as Yukons'.

8. As an Old Timer I still use Porters but agree that a lot of new folks call it River Quest and the run between Stewarts and Riverbend is still Stewarts to me.

Default The Octopus sucks!

5) Octopus: the snag right above the Beav if you backtroll too far!
    I think the Octopus has a nasty twin sister named Ursulla at the upper end of that run as well.

It sits about a third of the way out from the high bank on river left, where the bottom of the Crossover becomes Chicago/Upper Beav.

I like to call it one of those 100% holes... you can be assured that you'll lose 100% of everything that grabs bottom there!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

With all of the debris going into the river from the flood I am sure there will be many sisters in the river. I am going to buy some stock in Luhr Jensen since there will be a lot of Kwik fish replaced in 07!!!!

Hopefully a lot of that aluminum will bet removed at low water this spring. That decking is over $100 a foot. Even if it is scrap it would be worth someones time to dredge it out. Either way it will be interesting. I wasn't here for 1995, but I would guess there are a lot more aluminum structure with this last flood that will be moving down. I also heard rumor that there are at least 2 drift boats and one power boat in the mix!

#1. horse pastures or pastures for short.
    #2. Bluffs
    #3. Mud
    #4 chicago is just below eagle rock/cross over is when your looking at the beaver.
    #5??????it wasn't called anything in the old days
    #6 toilet hole, Doc thanks for naming after me...hope i can shake the toilet,just remember you never leave fish to find fish,that hole produces.
    #7 honey moon is at the bottom of fallin hole,thats where Mr. anderson broke the record,one of the best spots on the river in May and early june. airplane is just above big Eddy and below the island,i have personally seen a float plane land there in early spring...
    #8.stewarts
    #9 Porters in my book,i can still remember the boat rental and gas on the dock,one of the greatest people that i've met,he would give you the shirt off his back......help anyone in need..

Isn't it a shame what has happend to Porters the last couple of years.

Default Way back...

I go waaay back, so some of the names I use are unfamiliar to the "new" comers. Keep in mind the lower, tidal part of the river below Eagle Rock was only fished by a few back then....didn't need to.

1. Flats

2. High Banks

3. ...didn't have a name (the mud bar didn't exist).

4. Eagle Rock (encompassed all those areas). The boat launch there was free...no toll booth, no RV park. The small branch of river on the left up from Eagle Rock was called the Slough. The island there was simply called the "Island". Very navigatable by powerboat.

5. ?

6. Trough.

7. Honeymoon Cove. The hole above the Cove was called the Fall'n In Hole. Above the Fall'n In Hole, on the other side of the River, was the Slide-In Hole.

8. No name...then it became Stewart's.

Porter's has always been Porter's. Later it had a boat rental and fuel. Below Porters was called Schrier's, after the family that owned the property/homestead along the slough. The slough (where the little bridge and all the cabins are now) was never a passage. For decades it was blocked by a huge log jamb. Chainsaws did away with that for boat moorage. The lower tip of the island was called the Tree Hole. There used to be a huge spruce tree there.

Big Eddy was always Big Eddy. The slough behind Big Eddy was called Kobylarz's, after the family that owned the property there.

The two islands above Porters were called Eagle Islands, after the eagles that lived there year-round for years.

RW's (previously Unocal's) was called Sonny's, after the farmer/rancher that owned the land, and lots of grazing horses.

The bank across from RW's was a good deep drift called the White Rock. A huge bright, white Rock, about half the size of Eagle Rock, used to be on the bank there.

Harry Gain's was called Getty's. Named after the family that owned the original property. All that was there was their trailer house. Not uncommon to have that whole peninsula flood over Big Eddy Road toward Porter's.

The Island above Getty's and below what is now called Poacher's Cove had a hole called DeVito's Slide, named after probably the best fisherman to ever fish the Kenai.

The Graveyard was called Paulk's. Named after the Paulk family who owned the land and who still lives there.

Sunken Island was called the College Hole and earlier Tommy Core's (who owned/homesteaded the land there).

Slikok was also called the Rocks.

I'll stop there. I've got some old photographs of the River at some of these spots that would make your head spin. It looked like a little stream back then. Hardly recognizable now.

Thanks for the insight, great stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    I've got some old photographs of the River at some of these spots that would make your head spin. It looked like a little stream back then. Hardly recognizable now.
    Grampy, any chance you could scan some of those lower river pics and post 'em on the board?

Sharing for the sake of a little historical perspective, you know.

Thanks!
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    A little off topic, but it's the same thing with ski runs at Alyeska. You won't find the names Rag Doll or Brown Shorts anywhere on a trail map, but they're a couple of my favorite little spots.

-Brian

Oh you'll find them on the ski patrol map, every rock there has a name...

As for the lower kenai I have just one name for all the holes: Crowded as ****
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    8. As an Old Timer I still use Porters but agree that a lot of new folks call it River Quest and the run between Stewarts and Riverbend is still Stewarts to me.
    In 1982 Loren Stewart opened his boat launch-Big Eddy Jetty, after he died in 1991 his daughter renamed it Stewart's Landing. The current owners, Jeff & MP King kept the name.

If anyone ever wondered who owns the north bank from Stewart's Landing to Fallin' In Hole, it's my wife, Niki Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I

If anyone ever wondered who owns the north bank from Stewart's Landing to Fallin' In Hole, it's my wife, Niki Stewart
    Great red bar just downriver from the launch! Gotta name for that?
    The KeenEye MD

fNp,

Are you talking about the gravel bar at the head of the island where all the seagulls hang out waiting for scraps from the boat launch?

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    fNp,

Are you talking about the gravel bar at the head of the island where all the seagulls hang out waiting for scraps from the boat launch?
    That would be the one, brother.
    The KeenEye MD

Default old names

Grampyfishes

Thanks for posting the old names, I had actually forgotten some of them and remembered them when you listed. My dad was a guide back in the early 80s and so was my uncle RL Parker and havent heard some of those names since then. Im sure many of you kenai fishers are familliar with the RL boat anchor, when I was a kid he used to pay me to paint them brown for him as he finished them at his welding shop. Great memories of the early days of the Kenai.

1) Pasture
    2) Bluffs
    3) It's Mud Island from along side the island all the way down to the sonar
    4) Not many still call it Chicago, but I refer to the upper stretch of the crossovers as Chicago because that's where it's always windy. The rest is the Crossover (where you cross from fishing one side of the river to the other during your back troll).
    5) Octopus isn't spoken of frequently, but I think it's the area opposite Beaver Creek where the trees overhang
    6) The area across/above Eagle Rock I jokingly refer to as "Victoria's Secret" because she told some clients it was her "secret" spot.
    7) Airplane is along side and directly downstream of the island below Porters
    8) Stewart's (use to be Big Eddy Jetty) & Porter's will always be Porter's to me

- What about deep spot between the Beav and Mud? This hole is becoming more and more popular and few have a name for it. It's usually referred to as Riddles, but I've also heard it called The Wall, and Jurrassic Park (my personal favorite).

- How about the spot across from/upstream of Big Eddy - also a well known hole without a well known name.... usually called "the spot across from the Eddy."
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default #4

I like this post!!!! #4 has been highly disputed on my boat in the summer. My fishing buddies and I have narrowed it down to this..... From Eagle Rock Down.

Eagle Rock- strictly a hole for dragging.

Blood Alley- Starts immediately at the end of the drag and ends at the first sand/gravel bank where the red fisherman are fishing in July.

Crossovers- ends just after you slide to the other side of the river where you can see around the corner and are looking at beaver creek.

Chicago- Ends at Beaver Creek

Beaver Creak- Strictly a back bouncing hole.

THE WALL- Yes, it's a new one I was hearing it this summer from lots of people just below beaver creek on the bend, fishing the incoming tide after the rapids slow the water down. Back bouncing hole. I never called it anything but Beaver Creek but sure made me laugh when I heard it.

Too many names for a 1 mile stretch of river but I have memories at every single one of those spots. Dang, is it King season yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast