Thread: Anyone load up a chest freezer when going hunting

Default Anyone load up a chest freezer when going hunting

I am thinking of getting a 7-8 cubic ft freezer to take with me this elk season to colorado. It would be nice to have the meat cut up and vacuum packed before coming home. Has anyone tried this before and with what results?
    Last edited by Travis77; 07-23-2010 at 13:35. Reason: spelling

My friends have done it alot, sometimes they take a small portable generator for long runs, shorter stops they get a ground floor hotel room and back the truck up and run a power cord to the room. It freezes long enough to make it home.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i would buy one in col. after shooting the elk... small gen set to cool it 4 hours a day and be good to go.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Freezer

I took a freezer to Wyoming for the last 2 years. My only complaint is that it's too big. 15 cubic feet. The smaller size should be just great. Since we stay in a cabin with electric access, a generator isn't necessary but I have been thinking about that for other trips.

Talked to a guy that takes a small freezer, generator, fold out table, and meat wrapping materials with him on the haul road bou hunt. Suppose that would allow a guy time to hunt for a second animal.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I take a freezer and a generator every year when I go bear hunting. Not so I can process the bear but to cool it down whole, so that we can stay for additional bears if several people or when I am alone, so I get a little fishing in before I have to head home.

Also my friend takes a freezer and a generator when they go moose hunting and they process the moose before they come home. He has been doing that for years

I have not taken a freezer hunting but recently drove 4000 miles with one full of meat. I moved from Fort Wainwright to southern Arizona last fall. When I left I did not want to get rid of my meat I had hunted and fished for while in Alaska. I turned the freezer to the coldest setting and filled the remaining area in the freezer with water bottles and jugs so there was not any empty space. I ratched strapped it closed and plugged it in whenever possible. I typically went 12-18 hours between plugins. When I arrived in Arizona it was about 100* here and when I popped open the freezer everything was still frozen solid.

We took a 15 cu. freezer w/ a gas powered generator down to Chitina last year for the first time and filled it with 60 salmon. Then we headed down to Valdez and added 400 lbs of halibut which we had flash frozen and then tossed it in the freezer. We headed to Kenai and Homer after that just for the trip and spent 4 days down there. All together we spent 2 weeks on the road with a freezer full of fish and never had any problems. Fish stayed frozen solid the whole time. The gas powered generator made all the difference since most of the places we stayed didn't have electricity. We kept the freezer secure with a padlock and ratchet straps. Worked GREAT! Happy hunting and let us know how it works out for you if you decide to take one.

I think I will try doing this. I never thought about waiting until I shoot something before buying one. It would be nice to get one on sale cheap though. Thanks

Have taken one to Canada several times. First one was not in working order - we new that - pulled the drain plug and when we loaded some de-boned moose we simply covered it with ice and rode 2 day's home in great shape. Now I take a small 2000 watt Honda generator and a new small freezer - works great! As for getting one after the kill - Hmmm adds a lot of work to the hunt - if weather is bad its even worse I would think???
    I have found out putting sheets of plywood down on the trailer first eliminates a lot of road grime - especially on wet roads that will make everything on your trailer gritty. At minimum, put down a tarp to reduce splash effect....
    When empty we store the generator and xtra gear in the freezer also - looks a bit goofy but hey - better than loosing the meat to warm weather!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thumbs up travel'n freezer does work, yes

Don't need the generator if you stop and buy dry ice every 3 days. You can find dry ice on the Alcan even in the winter. Don't plug in the freezer because that will only work to melt the dry ice.

Leave no extra room in the freezer, and wrap your dry ice in towels to not burn your food.

Works great.

This is the kind of experience I need to here. That's why I hang here. I have a 13 cubic foot chest freezer that is "frost free" that my wife hates. She rather have a upright one door stye up right so you can see everything at one glance. Anyway, I was thinking of putting my 13 foot in a enclosed 12 foot trailer of some sort. Need room for freezer, two ATVs and a place to sleep. Remove ATVs at bed time of course. Freezer would not move. Trailer would be wired for freezer and more. The roof would have two vents and built in fold down bunk beds(plywood with cables holding it up). Basicly a CARGO TRAILER witn only a ply wood floor and FOAM interior walls. And all the foam under the floor boards and roof. Welded aluminum exterior, no riviots. paint not nessarary. Aluminum frame, no rust!
    HONDA generator of 3000 watts should cook, heat, and chill camp.

Is this a go?????????

half202,
    Sounds like a great "mobil home" to me! I will say make sure not to run the generator inside either before, or during, your time spent in there sleeping or your wife may be a WIDOW! Even if you run it outside set it plenty far away from the trailer while your in it...Donwind preferably...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I will say make sure not to run the generator inside either before, or during, your time spent in there sleeping or your wife may be a WIDOW!
    Ditto for dry ice too; it creates carbon dioxide while it melts steadily, which will take your breath away (in a bad way).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Ditto for dry ice too; it creates carbon dioxide while it melts steadily, which will take your breath away (in a bad way).
    that explains both my ex wifes..... WHEW!!! never knew how close i came.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    that explains both my ex wifes..... WHEW!!! never knew how close i came.
    Vince, Thats why is has been so hard to send up women astronauts - they talk sooo much they use up all the air in sealed spaces!