Thread: Knik Glacier - Access

Default Knik Glacier - Access

We'd like to ride out to Knik Glacier on Saturday. What are the conditions (trail) and how do you get there? Thanks!

Take the old Glenn highway to the Knik bridge. You have two options for parking. On the far side of the bridge, you can park on the right hand side and ride from there. The better parking (in my opinion) is to take the next road to your right and drive down about a mile and there are several BIG parking lots to the right. A trail goes in from there to the sand dunes and then just follow the trail all the way back to the Glacier. If you haven't crossed any of the creek crossings out there, park for a moment and observe where other people are crossing. There are "Sweet spots" that are easy to cross, and other spots where you will get hopelessly stuck. A bit after the crossing at Jim Creek the trail cuts left and goes through the woods for a while. If you can go with someone who's been there before that can be helpful but if not you'll find your way through eventually. Basically all the trails go to the same place. You may encounter some serious mudholes and even areas of deep standing water so be prepared with winches and tow ropes, and consider riding in fishing bibs because they keep you dry and you can maintain a decent speed when riding rather than driving super slow to try and keep from splashing. It's also helpful if you get stuck or someone in your party does- you can just step off your machine and wade right out with a winch cable.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you know if Jim Creek is crossable after all this rain? Does consulting the tide tables in this area?
    Thanks, Chelle

The Knik River is high right now and Jim Creek was a bit high too the last time I was out there, but it should still be passable without too much problem. To get to Jim Creek, you actually turn right on Sullivan Avenue, which is about the 4th or 5th street on the right. You turn right at the Alaska Raceway Park sign. Go down the road past the Raceway Park and you'll come up to a parking lot on the right. Their is a road that goes from the parking lot down to the river. It's an enjoyable day trip...have fun!

Jims is usually the tamest crossing, it is metal creek you need to worry about. Much faster current and if you barely make it in the morning you may have to spend the night out there if it gets warm during the day or rains a bunch as it can come up pretty quick.

Metal Creek will be your most "iffy" crossing, as recommended above watch someone else cross who knows where the "sweet spot" is located. I baited in there last year and decided to try a different way and ended upside down in the creek over my head and $2,700.00 bill to rebuilt motor. Be Cautious!

Hey, thanks everyone. We'll give it a go this weekend. I'll post conditions and some pics if possible. Have a great weekend!!!

We went riding up there today. Great day for a ride, nice and sunny. This was our first ride ever out there. The trail was pretty good overall, with nothing to compare it too though. A couple of pretty deep crossings. I had to bail twice to keep the quad running and moving forward. It seems like there is always a way around though. We made it as far as Metal Creek which runs right by the glacier. It was running pretty swiftly and I wouldnt consider crossing it unless someone with experience was there. Just too swift and deep. Anyways, what a great ride, and there were quite a few others in the area.

My wife and I rode out there on Sunday as well. What a great day! We started snaking our way across some of the run offs from Metal Creek just to get closer to the Glacier. We made it pretty close, until I started to walk across another run off and immediately dropped off the bank up to my hips. Thankfully I was able to use my arms and butt to catch myself on the bank before going in completely. Not sure how deep it was but my feet didn't hit bottom. I'm glad I alway wear chest waders!

Went out a week ago. Cross Metal Creek further south and it's easy. Friday Creek was pretty darned wide but not too deep:

AKGriz's Rene and my new machine.

The new '11 Max XT, it's a rocket sled on rails. Nothin' faster, nothin' more comfortable, it's stunning.