Thread: Rescued hunting dogs ?

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Rescued hunting dogs ?

Mat-su Shelter and Alaska Dog News are compiling stories of former rescued or shelter dogs who have working ability, are hunters or competitiors in any dog sport. Its understood that only registered dogs can compete in AKC/UKC events but we have hunting partners, dogs who go to picnic trials and dog who participate in other fun sports. If you have a dog story with photos and or video please contact alaskadognews@mtaonline.net
    www.alaskadognews.com

Hope it was okay to do, but I forwarded your message to the FRC email list. We have members who have, or have had, rescued retrievers that they hunt with & some that run in hunt tests. Dogs can get an ILP number from AKC & run in hunt tests, but not field trials. If you adopt an AKC registered dog, but can't transfer ownership, you can still run the dog in AKC hunt tests as it's handler/agent. I did that with an older rescue Chessie in 2004 who earned his JH when 9 1/2 years old. Am doing that with a 7 yr. old rescue Chessie this summer. It's a lot of fun & who cares if AKC mails any title certificate to the owner of record!

Karen

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I don't understand an non-transferable ownership unless the dog was from a shelter. Linda

AKC registration isn't transferable if the owner of record doesn't sign the actual transfer of ownership. I've had one dog that came with his registration certificate, but the owner wasn't able to sign the transfer portion (deceased). Another dog that I adopted is registered, but did not come with the registration certificate. He came with an AKC "certified" pedigree which has his reg. number, breeder's name, sire & dam, but no owner's name/address. Does that help?

Karen

My own "Ruddy". Whom a lot of you know.....was also a retriever that came to me during the time I operated the rescue program. A gentleman brought him to me at 8 months old. He said that this pup was way to much energy for his family.
    Of course I renamed him and then sent in for the registration. Over the years I have trained Ruddy to be a Hunting Retriever Champion with HRC, a Master Hunter in AKC, Intermediate Title in NAHRA and I even dabbled a little in Field Trials with him. Just enough to get him Qualified All Age. Ruddy has certainly exceeded my expectations.

I adopted my GSP from a rescue shelter in Florida. He was born to his abandoned mother who was rescued while pregnant. Max has turned into quite a companion and is quickly honing his natural hunting instincts with me in the field. I am scheduled to formalize his training with a trainer in Missouri in the spring.

Regards.
    This is Max now - and from whence he came 3 yrs ago . . .
    2010 09 01 (4).jpgLexi's V Pups after their bath - 2 09-29-07.jpg

Default Kudos to Wetland Retrievers . . .

I adopted Rudy, my 4yo chocolate from Baron and Alicia three years ago, and he's been an incredible family pet . . and oh by the way, a pretty darned good hunting partner too . . . we duck hunt for two weeks together, and we fly to North Dakota for pheasant work every fall. This is Rudy on the banks of the Kustatan River two years ago . . .

2927889980_0b9a4a4cb1.jpg

And a shot in North Dakota last year

4112146091_1a5937133a.jpg

That's awesome. We worked with that guy for quite awhile together. I bet he gets excited when he sees a shotgun now.

Why, yes he does! We've still got a ways to go on the swimming thing tho . . he swims, but it's not his favorite thing to do . . . amd he doesn't do it well.