Thread: bulk ice in Anchorage

Default bulk ice in Anchorage

Is there a good place to buy a lot of ice in Anchorage? Hoping to fill up a half dozen coolers for an extended PWS trip. Thanks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

How about stopping in Blackstone Bay and picking up chunks there? It will last longer than the store bought and it is free!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    How about stopping in Blackstone Bay and picking up chunks there? It will last longer than the store bought and it is free!
    a little out of the way from where I'm heading, but that ice sure is good, especially mixed with some crown royal and coke
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

10th and M seafoods

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    a little out of the way from where I'm heading, but that ice sure is good, especially mixed with some crown royal and coke

If you are heading out of Whittier, you go right by it. You must be heading out of Valdez. Worth the detour for the beverages, IMO. Cheers!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If 10th&M doesn't have it, try calling either Favco or Copper River Seafoods. We get ice from Copper River for commercial purposes, so I know they have it. Not sure if they sell it by the cooler, though. Oh, and there is a guy out by the Birchwood Airport that was selling bulk ice last year. Can't recall the name, but it's on the right just before you get to the airport.

I know you said Skankorage but if you're heading out of *hittier Great Pacific Seafoods has it. Peter Pan Seafoods has it in VileDisease, and theres lots of ice in Cadaver
    We were trying to raise funds to put an ice machine at Ester Hatchery but the illustrious marketing association decided against popular opinion and chartered one of their cronies barge to to carry nets and be an ice barge...Even though I have to pay for it I don't advocate it. He gets like 90k to haul ice that the processors make and deliver to him plus like 450.00 per net, to haul around gillnetters spare nets. He's only out there a month! Its highway friggn robbery. I say put a community ice machine at the hatchery so everyone can benefit, us gillnetters already said we'd pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I know you said Skankorage but if you're heading out of *hittier Great Pacific Seafoods has it. Peter Pan Seafoods has it in VileDisease, and theres lots of ice in Cadaver
    We were trying to raise funds to put an ice machine at Ester Hatchery but the illustrious marketing association decided against popular opinion and chartered one of their cronies barge to to carry nets and be an ice barge...Even though I have to pay for it I don't advocate it. He gets like 90k to haul ice that the processors make and deliver to him plus like 450.00 per net, to haul around gillnetters spare nets. He's only out there a month! Its highway friggn robbery. I say put a community ice machine at the hatchery so everyone can benefit, us gillnetters already said we'd pay for it.
    Just stick a RSW system on that big slab of yours and screw them all !! Hide a net or two on the beach somewhere like we did in the old days. Guess i need to get a nice big lobster boat with a mast and boom on it, go gather up glacier ice and run it through a on deck ice chopper/grinder?? Now there's a new opportunity for a guy?? Better yet go get one of those big steel shrimpers from the gulf, lots have freezer holds, and make it a floating food, gas ,fuel, ice, pizza, laundry and just follow the gillnet fleet for the summer and sell gas bait food to the rec fleet. Oh yeah have it staffed by nice looking ladies with big buoys on'em ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just stick a RSW system on that big slab of yours and screw them all !! Hide a net or two on the beach somewhere like we did in the old days. Guess i need to get a nice big lobster boat with a mast and boom on it, go gather up glacier ice and run it through a on deck ice chopper/grinder?? Now there's a new opportunity for a guy?? Better yet go get one of those big steel shrimpers from the gulf, lots have freezer holds, and make it a floating food, gas ,fuel, ice, pizza, laundry and just follow the gillnet fleet for the summer and sell gas bait food to the rec fleet. Oh yeah have it staffed by nice looking ladies with big buoys on'em ???
    Steve, Thats an awesome idea and I like the way you think!!! I like ths staffing suggestion the best! I bet that would be a money maker from 1 May thru the end of October.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Steve, Thats an awesome idea and I like the way you think!!! I like ths staffing suggestion the best! I bet that would be a money maker from 1 May thru the end of October.
    Deer butchering wrap & freeze in the fall??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Not for me, I like to process my own game meat. I find it therapeutic and I'm pretty picky. But a hot shower, a good burgerand a fuel fill up would be the cats meow!!!! BTW Steve, please set aside another crab pot for me, I will come see you Wednesday or Thursday.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Better yet go get one of those big steel shrimpers from the gulf, lots have freezer holds, and make it a floating food, gas ,fuel, ice, pizza, laundry and just follow the gillnet fleet for the summer and sell gas bait food to the rec fleet. Oh yeah have it staffed by nice looking ladies with big buoys on'em ???
    That is a pretty great idea, Gulf Shrimpers must be cheaper than ever these days, right?

I was thinking right along those lines as I read Fullbush's post, did I get this right, (?) Someone charges $450 per net to have it sit on their deck as "on grounds gear storage?" That's some serious money for a little crane time, and not much else. So, what would a guy pay for a Pizza or Fresh Fried Cheeseburger in mid July out on the grounds? Mmmmmmm

So, who's gonna give this a try? I wonder if you could use one of those Bering Sea Crab Buyback Boats, those are huge and pretty nice inside, some of 'em anyway.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You can buy ice from the place on Schoon street behind the Red Robin on Dimond. They are the same place that most of the grocery stores get their ice from. You need to buy like 30+ bags in order to get the discount if I remember right. It has been a few years since I bought a large amount from them.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

We used to pick up shaved ice at the north pole ice rink they always dumped it out back of the rink. Its shaved and wont last like glaicer ice but packed in a good cooler it worked for us. With many ice rinks in Anchorage some of them must dump outside.