Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutco Filet Knives

Question Cutco Filet Knives

I found out my buddy's son sells Cutco knives on the side. He has the adjustable filet knives for $75 ea. Is that a good price? Are these things as good as advertised? Who owns one? Kinda pricey, just wanna make sure it's a good investment.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Yeah they're definitely worth it I owned one and my crewman dropped it over board.
    Make sure you store the blade outside the handle cause mine tended to rust cause you couldn't dry inside the handle. I was always curious about bacteria build-up inside the handle myself, so I'd bleach it. You'll love the long blade tho

For once Fullbush and I agree 100 percent on this one. Love my Cutco and free sharpening for life does not hurt.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

My Cutco fillet knife is great. I use it all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

What's the story on the sharpening? Do you send the blade in for them to sharpen it? Is it a special process that you can't replicate yourself? How may fish can you clean before it needs sharpened. Sorry for all the questions.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Doug, you send it in to get sharpened. I used it to filet 30 salmon after dipnetting and I never even touched up the blade. It's a pretty awesome knife and the adjustable blade is nice.

I have a couple and like them. They also will replace the blade if/when you break it. The price seems to sound about like what I have paid in the past. I get the ones with the bright orange handles, since it makes them easy to find on a cluttered boat.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Good product....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    I found out my buddy's son sells Cutco knives on the side. He has the adjustable filet knives for $75 ea. Is that a good price? Are these things as good as advertised? Who owns one? Kinda pricey, just wanna make sure it's a good investment.
    I don't think you can beat Dexter knives. They are about 1/3 the cost ($28 or so depending on the model you buy) of a Cutco at $75, so you could buy 3 for the price of one. The "free" sharpening for life on Cutco knives costs you the price of shipping it to them and then another $6 shipping for them to send it back to you, and then you have to wait a week for it to happen. I take my Dexters to my local knife sharpener here in Homer, he has it ready for me about 3 hours later and I give him $5 per knife to do it.

Dexters are a high carbon steel and are one of the best knives going. I am a charter captain so I use my knives a LOT (like maybe 50 or 60 halibut a week plus salmon and rockfish) and they hold up very well to the rigors I put them through.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default love those knives

Love my cutco filet knife, the adjustable one is great but I sharpen it myself even though there is a guy in Eagle River that sells them and will sharpen it if I do not want to. I also purchased a short blade totally serrated and I use it on Salmon I cut the ribs on both sides of the spine and then use the filet knife to just peel away the fillets.

I own two, and wouldn't trade them. I sharpen them myself.

You don't have to send the cutcos back for sharpening. One of the reps will come to the house to sharpen all of your cutcos. Good to know about those dexters. Where can I find one?

I was given a Cutco for Christmas in 1993. Still have it and use it every season. Great knife.

I would go with the orange handle. All they offered back then were the black ones and my brother in law lost his the first time he was out fishing with it. Fell into shallow water and with the black handle it may as well been 500 feet deep.

I also carry a Kershaw and another cheap knife as back ups, but have never had an issue with the cutco.

The Dexter Russel is a food service type of knife and should be available at resturant supply shops or online. I have heard good things about the brand.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You don't have to send the cutcos back for sharpening. One of the reps will come to the house to sharpen all of your cutcos. Good to know about those dexters. Where can I find one?
    If you're in Homer you can get them at the Gear Shed. I think the Sport Shed on the Spit has them too. Probably Ulmer's, too. They make just about every shape and length you can imagine so there's one for every situation and the Gear Shed probably has every model they make. I'll bet they have about 50 different models from fillet knives to clam/oyster knives (my K-Bay oyster knife is a Dexter, too).

Having a rep come to your house and sharpen your knife is great. Will they come there within a couple of hours of when you call them? I'm a charter captain and I have a very small window of opportunity to get things done, so taking it to "my sharpening guy" any time I feel like it and giving him $5 to do it is well worth the money.

Also, the Cutco "guarantee" doesn't extend to commercial use as far as I know. Though if there's a Cutco rep out there reading this and would like to try to sell their product to me I'd be willing to listen. If your knife is better than Dexter's please contact me and maybe we can work something out. I'm always willing to give something new a try. And if it works I'll "sell" it to everyone that will listen. I am passionate about what I do and don't have any qualms about letting people know what I think (and for those of you that are regulars here you already know that). =)

The nice thing about Dexters is they are a high carbon steel which is very easy to keep sharpened. I don't know anything about the Cutco knives, so can't talk about them. Some knives have a higher "stainless steel" content which will hold an edge longer, but sharpening them is a bit*h. High carbon is softer and will dull quicker, but it's a lot easier to sharpen and keep honed properly.

Like I said, I probably fillet 50 to 60 halibut a week, every week, numerous salmon and rockfish and cut about a "ton" of herring and octopus, salmon carcasses, etc., etc., with them, and my Dexters have never let me down. I am NOT a rep for them and have absolutely no vested interest in selling them. I use them and they work. For the price you can't beat them.

I'd like to see a Cutco. Are they sold in stores or by reps? I've never heard of them. I use both Forschner Victorinox and the Dexter Russell brands. Like them both a lot. Buy them at Alaska Butcher Supply in ANC. They have a lot of neat stuff in that store.

Ak Butchers Supply is on my list next time I go to Shankorage. Thanks Homertime, I'm curious about the various saws for frozen fish. I'd like to learn the trollers method of freezing and glazing at sea, my buddy is a troller and he broke out an FAS king salmon that was 18 months old and it tasted just like I pulled it out of my gillnet. What I need to do is make a thread asking about this or better yet check the archives and see if there is already one going

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I'd like to see a Cutco. Are they sold in stores or by reps? I've never heard of them. I use both Forschner Victorinox and the Dexter Russell brands. Like them both a lot. Buy them at Alaska Butcher Supply in ANC. They have a lot of neat stuff in that store.
    Never seen Cutco in a store, but if you hit the sportsmans show, state fair, or other such venue, you will most likely find a booth. Seen them at some of the gun shows too. My wife used to sell them and we have a good supply as a result. Their regular fillet knife is awesome. But for the price I paid, I would not dare take it out into the field. It is strictly a stay at home fillet knife. That is the problem with Cutco. It is much like tupperware in that the cost makes you nervous to take it out of the house.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm curious about the various saws for frozen fish
    They will have them, I'm sure. It's a pretty small store, but they have a ton of stuff in there. Really nice folks. I have to restrict myself, like going to Vegas. Only bring so much $, when it's gone it's gone. (Don't blame me )

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Ak Butchers Supply is on my list next time I go to Shankorage.
    Something tells me that's not a "typo". Got me laughing out loud anyway.

I lived in Anchorage for 18 years and that one is about as old as calling anyone from Homer a Homeroid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast