Thread: PWS shrimping results

Default PWS shrimping results

Just curioius how has everybody found the shrimp catch rates this year compared to previous seasons. My experience so far has not been that good.

Same as last year for me.

Same as last year for me.

Worse than last year...

The same or maybe a little better.

Much better than last year. Weighting pots with more weight, larger bait containers,(Rubber maid drinking bottles), pot spacing 50' instead of 25', and fishing 600 -650'

I use Rubbermaid drinking bottles, space about 35', and fish 550-650.

Cool New Spot

More or less the same as last year. Didn't buy any more pots to meet the new limit. But.....
    I found a new spot that is producing my biggest pulls ever. And my new spot is closer to town!!

So does any body think big tides affect shrimp catch rates???

Much better than last year but I now use Steves pot. They out fish my other ones 6 to 1. I also increased my spacing to 80 feet....like Steve said.."Why compete with yourself?"

80"? Whoa. I'll give that a try next time. I've got plenty of floating at the end to space them out. I always thought the combined bait of multiple pots would help the lil guys find the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    80"? Whoa. I'll give that a try next time. I've got plenty of floating at the end to space them out. I always thought the combined bait of multiple pots would help the lil guys find the way in.
    Just remember to have plenty of buoyline! All that matters is from the pot closest to the buoy up to the buoy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just remember to have plenty of buoyline! All that matters is from the pot closest to the buoy up to the buoy.
    Thanks Potbuilder!! I'm an old longliner and have a pretty good grip on anchor lines. I think I get those snaps in my hand and I just want to keep snapping!! I'll try stringing my next sets with a lot more space between. I only space about 15". I like your thinking about the self competition. I can always use advice,

Thanks Potbuilder!! I'm an old longliner and have a pretty good grip on anchor lines. I think I get those snaps in my hand and I just want to keep snapping!! I'll try stringing my next sets with a lot more space between. I only space about 15". I like your thinking about the self competition. I can always use advice,
    "Snaps" !!! yikes i've had quite a few guys at the the shows tell me "that sob stole my middle pots out of the string "!! I ask do you use snaps, longline clips to attach your pots to the line? they say yeah only way to go, i show'em how the snaps can roll off the line, they say oh s**T. Those stainless spring closing caribiners are worse yet End of sermon

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Better than last year thanks to Steve's advice!

"Snaps" !!! yikes i've had quite a few guys at the the shows tell me "that sob stole my middle pots out of the string "!! I ask do you use snaps, longline clips to attach your pots to the line? they say yeah only way to go, i show'em how the snaps can roll off the line, they say oh s**T. Those stainless spring closing caribiners are worse yet End of sermon
    Do you tie in direct to the ground line?

Do you tie in direct to the ground line?
    Yup tie in droppers into mainline and use my "toggles" to attach/remove pots from the droppers. If you do a search on here for the droppers pictures of them should come up from a previous thread.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Yup tie in droppers into mainline and use my "toggles" to attach/remove pots from the droppers. If you do a search on here for the droppers pictures of them should come up from a previous thread.
    tried to edit my above post but it was to late. Instead of using the toggles a guy could also just knot the dropper line to the pot bridle using a sheet bend.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I've been using Steve's toggles all season now and absolutely love the fact that I can attach and remove pots from mainline so easily. He told me I would love them! Thanks Potbuilder! Oh..and by the way..shrimping has been excellent for us this year. Have been out prospecting new spots and many of them have paid off big.

Thumbs up good spacing

Tried bout 40" between pots this time. Noticeable improvement. Usually one pot would out perform the other on the same string. This time both pots on the same string were good catches.