Thread: Question about pinks

Default Question about pinks

Hello,
    When fishing for pinks, from shore, do you find you have the best luck fishing near the surface, mid depth or close to the bottom?

We are at Allison Point in Valdez. Yesterday was our first day of fishing and we did not do well at all. We are from Louisiana and this is our third trip to Valdez to fish for pinks. On our previous trips we average over 70 fish per day but yesterday we only landed 20. I usually fish right on the bottom with pink pixies. Just wondering if the bottom presentation is the best.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Pinks are usually only about 3-5 ft from the surface, my experience anyway
    use a vibrax #2 you can retrieve it much slower than a pixie and still get lure action.

I have a question. Exactly what is the lightest .lb test line do you use for pinks. And, you can catch and release these fish,right??

Do pinks hit bait- like roe sacs or herring strips?

Not much interest in roe that I've seen, but we get them all the time when trolling with herring. I would expect the same with strips from shore, especially fished on a slow retrieve under a bobber or some such.

As for light lines, we use 4-6# all the time on bright days. The fish respond best to really small spoons when it's bright, and you need the light line to get any casting distance at all. I'll tell you this- Put 4# on a dinky little 4-5' ultralight trout rod, and a pink salmon loses nothing to silvers on heavier tackle. Long runs, and you'll play heck getting them the last 15' to shore!

No not really, go with small spinners or spoons.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I have found that the ELS's work the best.. small pixies comming in a distant second..

Pinks will hit just about anything. I hate them (but I don't kill them just because I hate them---see "charter ethics" thread). I have caught WAY too many of them on trolled herring at anywhere from 20 to 75 ft. down. The thing you have to remember about salmon is that they aren't always going to bite. They do not feed 24 hours a day every day. Like people, they have stomachs and when that stomach gets full they stop feeding. In other words, just because at 7am on Sat. you didn't catch any doesn't mean at 3pm that same day you won't. Keep plugging away at them. In the immortal words of Kevin Costner (Field of Dreams) "If you fish for them, they will bite...eventually." Oh...wait. I may have misquoted there, but you know what I mean. My motto is, "It's just a matter of time."
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

What pound test line to use pretty much depends on the situation. 2 lb. test on a good rod can be a lot of fun if you know what you're doing. If there are a lot of other people around it would be rude to do that.

Catch and release is pretty situational too. Is the fish hooked in the gills and is about to die? Are you 25 miles out in the middle of K-Bay and just lip caught? Is the hook firmly imbedded in its throat? Etc., etc.

Most people aren't fond of pink salmon meat. Once again kind of a situational thing. I have found that if you catch a nice "ocean bright" pink, bleed it, then fillet it as soon as you can and put it on ice it will taste just as good as a red you have left in the fish box for 7 or 8 hours. In other words, don't "catch and release" them just because people on this forum tell you they aren't worth keeping. It's a situational thing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Depth is how I target different species of salmon and avoid catching pinks, the rule of thumb I use is: Pinks are in the top 5-10 feet, silvers are 10-50 feet, and kings are 50 foot on down.

Even near shore thats how they stack up if both species are there: the pinks will be up top being doing a lot of splashing, and the silvers will be below them.

I've never seen kings mixed in with a pink/silver jumble, they seem to avoid crowds like that.

Of course I could be completely wrong, still kinda new to salt fishing.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Allison Point is a great place for pinks but you know that. Was just in Valdez yesterday (Saturday) and watched the seiners in full combat mode so you should be in the middle of some great fishing. I use Vibrax #2 (like fullbush mentioned), switching between the green and red ones working no deeper than 3 feet. Cruised most of PWS (Valdez/Cordova area) Fri/Sat and pinks were jumping mostly everywhere. GOOD LUCK!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Will the pinks still be on in Valdez this weekend? Any chance I could get into some silvers? I'll be shore fishing in the harbor and Allison Point. I'd like to make the trip from Fairbanks. Thanks in advance. -Justin

Pinks are in thick right now and fishing is good. Doing a denali highway then valdez trip tommorow.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Thanks, LCF. I'm looking forward to taking some pinks on the fly and spinning. This is my first trip to Valdez. Are there any other spots I should try?

If your really looking into some serious fish do the denali highway and fish all the creeks for grayling. Or you can drive to anchorage and fish in hope and bird creek. But i would stick to valdez and the denali highway.
    -Local 907 Riders Union