Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial Plug Cut Herring...

Default Artificial Plug Cut Herring...

anyone having any luck with Brad's Superbaits?

http://www.bsfishtales.com/bsfishtal...aitresults.php

I'm sure there are some die hard guys that would never try this, but they have been having some luck in my home state on silvers and kings using these.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverArcher View Post
    anyone having any luck with Brad's Superbaits?

http://www.bsfishtales.com/bsfishtal...aitresults.php

I'm sure there are some die hard guys that would never try this, but they have been having some luck in my home state on silvers and kings using these.
    I've tried just about every lure, spoon, hootchie combination over the years ~ whole herring, cut plugs, etc. Hands down this thing drives the fish crazy. Used it out of POW earlier this year mooching and it was lights out. I didn't like the roll I got out of it and did a little modification, but its a staple in my bait box now.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I've tried just about every lure, spoon, hootchie combination over the years ~ whole herring, cut plugs, etc. Hands down this thing drives the fish crazy. Used it out of POW earlier this year mooching and it was lights out. I didn't like the roll I got out of it and did a little modification, but its a staple in my bait box now.
    The one I like isn't the one on your link, its the super cut plug bait.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    The one I like isn't the one on your link, its the super cut plug bait.
    you mean these ones?

http://bsfishtales.com/bsfishtales/sbcutplug.php

I used these last week for Coho and the Blue Hawaiian plug had the same amount of hits with one more fish to the boat then a cut plug herring on the Oregon coast.

I know a guy that chartered out of Juneau. He would use the super cut plug because he could fish all day without needing to rebait. He said it killed the kings and cohos. I bought my dad one as a side gift at christmas, he hasn't had a chance to try it much, but I'm sure it will work.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yep, those are the ones. I've only tried the black jack color but will pick up some more. I got mine at Cabelas in Lacey. My modification was to drill a tiny whole that allows the leader to go through the top of the plug instead of the existing one that goes half way down. Gives me a slower roll to the plug, which I like. I only use the sliding mooching type hook setup so that I can get the proper spacing Its a great mooch rig and works equally as well on a downrigger.

I've been giving it a good trial for kings since April- all trolling and for some reason hadn't even though to try it mooching. Next!

I'm using it in shallow water from 40' up to 6', all with crescent sinkers or dipsey divers rather than my downriggers. Just too close quarters among the rocks and seaweed for downriggers.

Most of the time I've had four lines out with it on at least one. About half the time the "natural" colored one ends up on all four lines, if that tells you anything. Yesterday I had out herring, apex and spoons, but the cut plug put the others back in the box.

It's a good one, but I've quit bothering with herring or scent in the clamshell. In fact I've got some I superglued shut just to get rid of the silly rubber bands. Seems to work just as well plain and no hassles.

One worthwhile observation: In the shallows I fish anyway, use it without a flasher of any kind on sunny days, but add a small flasher on overcast days.

Okay, another observation: We lost a whale of a lot of fish and missed more strikes with the original rigging and hook. Talk about a stinker! For kings at least. I haven't thought of changing the entry hole to slow the spin (thanks!), but manage much the same thing with a switch to 60 or 80# leader, letting it slide and replacing the swivel with a 4-link bead chain swivel, and switching up to a 8/0 Mustad 95170 hook. Puts the hook back in just the right spot to reduce missed strikes.

That's some really good info BrownBear. I just passed along your post to my dad.

Thanks AKBoater. One more thing to pass along:

In my experience, it's best fished slow, and the slower the better. Reducing the spin will let you fish it a little faster, but I have the best luck below 2.5mph, and if you can get down around 1.7 or 1.8 it's tops. That's for kings, and I bet silvers will want it faster.

Yes!!! A friend from Oregon landed 39 spring kings on the Rogue this year so I got some. They are expensive (close to $10) but DEADLY!!! Absolutely the best lures I have ever used. Here are the problems I have experienced with them however:
    1. They wear out. The colors get scraped off (by fish biting them!)
    2. YOu get a lot of misses, I think because of the spin the fish doesnt always get a good bite so you lose them a lot
    3. SPIN! they spin and twist up the line so make sure and keep that anti spin thing on the line or it will get all twisted up.
    4. The rubber band comes off a lot from fish biting it. There is a rubber band on the back, it holds the scent device in and if you get a hit, check it because the rubber band comes off and the sponge falls out. They give you three of them. Basically they are a cut piece of surgical tubing so you can make more easily.
    5. Since the bait scent comes out you can use other things. I just leave a herring on the back of the boat and cut small pieces of the fillet with skin and put them in the scent box and rubber band it, I'm pretty sure it works better than the sponge anyway

Yes they are great though, almost like cheating. I was wondering when someone was going to post about these things...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I always troll slow whether it's whole herring or cut plugs. Never had much luck when the SOG gets above 2 mph. IME when fishing winter kings they like a slow troll with a fast tight spin on a small (red) herring.

I have seen these advertised in Fish Alaska and Salmon Trout Steelhead magazines, and wondered if they actually worked. I guess they do... The Blue Hawaiian and Shamrock look like good natural colors.
    What colors do you guys like?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I always troll slow whether it's whole herring or cut plugs. Never had much luck when the SOG gets above 2 mph. IME when fishing winter kings they like a slow troll with a fast tight spin on a small (red) herring.
    That's my expereince, my "magic" downrigger speed is 1.7 knots ~ just seems to be the perfect speed for chinook

Best all around for me is the Black Jack, especially on cloudy days. On sunny days the Blue Hawaiian keeps pace with the Black Jack, but it's a nonstarter on cloudy days. Remember I'm fishing shallow, and I'd expect something different in deep fishing.

Do you guys run the super cut plugs behind flashers or do you run them nekkid?

yep...sorry. This is the one that I meant. Good thread. Thanks for all of the info.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

No flasher on sunny days, but I use a small one on cloudy days. Same for almost anything I hang on a line. Remember though, that I'm fishing real shallow. Deeper I'd be more inclined to trust them, but too often I've seen flashers spook the fish on sunny days in the shallows.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Do you guys run the super cut plugs behind flashers or do you run them nekkid?
    have done both. I think brownbear's experience is good, use without in the shallows. i only use flashers when i have to, hate having that much gear in the water.

Can you post a picture of what you did?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast