Thread: Blueberries in proximity to FBKS?

Default Blueberries in proximity to FBKS?

I have found rasberries, low and high cranberries, and salmonberries. However, I have not found blueberries. I know that no one wants to give away their honeyhole of berries but if anyone has advice on where I would find some patches I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance for any info.

Cleary Summit, up the Steese Hwy, off to the right hand side of the road, near the old ski lift/lodge area, off the dirt access roads there.

It's been years since I was up there to pick berries, so I have no idea about the degree of development since then. For all I know I might be sending you into someone's front yard anymore. But that's where I recall pickling blueberries within driving dsitance of town.

There's also a bog and muskeg area on the Goldstream Road side of Ballaine Road hill, on the right as you're headed toward Goldstream Rd. I'm told folks pick blueberries out there too. I haven't picked them there myself, though.

left and right sides off nordale....u will see the folks out there picking...........
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

take a trip around town... gold stream, elliott hwy, CHP, nordale, where you see butts you see blueberrys... large wet areas full of black spruce for the most part... Ballene road is another good spot.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree Ballaine Rd is a good place to start. Murphey Dome is also another place to check out and a lovely drive too. Elliot and Steese are possibilities. I usually look for the wetter swampy areas, and where the redish moss grows. Sometimes small creeks are a good place to wander about.

Good luck. It's been a while since I gathered around Fairbanks, I am sure those places are still good, but you gotta get there before the crowd does.

Raspberries are just now starting to get ripe here north of the Yukon River and will be ready for a serious harvest in a week or two. It will be a bumper crop. So I imagine the blueberries will be about the same.

Have fun.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

If you have access to Ft. Wainwright there are alot in and around the Land navigation course you can park in birch hill parking lot and walk over or you can ride an ATV if you have one me and the wife just came from there with a decent amount but we left alot as well probably another week or 2 until they are perfect. We have picked there for a few years now and to date have only seen 2 other people out there picking and there is plenty to go around.

Another couple of places to think about are the White Mtns Rec Area off of the Steese Highway and Denali NP. Take US Creek Road off of the Steese (mile 60 ish) and all along there is great picking on the hillsides where the burn was all the way to Nome Creek. I picked over a gallon in Denali today without really trying. Already had blueberry muffins today and it will be blueberry pancakes tomorrow morning You just gotta love this time of year in AK!
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln