Thread: Getting started in skijoring?

Default Getting started in skijoring?

I'm working as a dog handler and going to do some mushing this winter but I've also been looking at maybe taking two of my own dogs and doing a little skijoring. I'm still not that educated on it though...what exactly do you need in terms of equipment? Any other pointers are appreciated.

http://www.skijoring.org/

Try these guys, who are based in Anchorage. There's a contact link to folks who an likely help you out.

I found a lot of good info online, but there is also this book, http://www.amazon.com/Skijor-Your-Do.../dp/0963085409, "Skijor with your dog" that I found at Title Wave books in Anchorage for about $5. It has a lot of info on gear, dogs, etc.

Getting started it doesnt take much....a harness, a 10-15' line with a brass snap on one end and a quick release on the other, a short section of bungi cord to take out the shock, you can use a backpack waist belt to start with, you can also run some webbing under your crotch just to keep the waist belt from riding up your back...

then go have fun...you can buy special skijor belts and bungi loaded lines, but for most cases, just stuff you have lying around works fine...

I've found sometimes the best sled dogs are the worst skijor dogs and vice versa...Shear pulling power is not required and actually a dog that is a bit of a slacker can be really nice to ski with....unless your racing or something....

Have fun and good luck..

"Skijor with your dog" is a great book...the author lives in Fairbanks, I believe, so that's kind of neat that's it's Alaskan.

Now is a great time to start training your dogs, once you get your harnesses, bungee and belt you can hook up and jog behind them. Then you can teach them all the necessary commands without the hassle of getting tangled up with your skis. This is how I trained my mutt. Check for the equipment on Craigslist, if you have it in your area. That's where I got mine.

Once your dogs get the hang of the commands, you can give bikejoring a try before it snows. My dog loves pulling the bike, it's a lot of fun and the best part... there are brakes! LOL.

I've heard skate skis are recommended if you really want to go fast but I only have classical, and I like them since sometime my mutt Axel and I break trail or go out on old snowmachine trails. Going fast is fun, but I just love spending time outdoors with Axel and working together as a team! The best advice I've heard was not to assume the dog is going to pull all the time, but to ski with your dog as a team, and it's true...it's a great winter workout for both of us.

I'd definetely get the How To Skijor book, I borrowed it from the library, it's a quick, informative read. Good luck!