Thread: Friesen cabin usable full time home?

Question Friesen cabin usable full time home?

I would really like Friesen to shell my full time home (1000 sq ft retirement home). Has anyone lived in there building full time and found it to "survive" the wear and tear? A cabin isn't meant to be used as much as a home, obviously. But I can't see any difference in the building of a stick home or a cabin.

You should just talk to Jay. He's well schooled in what you need for a full time residence.

Framing a cabin and framing a house shell are really no different. If you have a plan Jay should be able to build it for you. One note of caution, and a mistake that Jays guys made over 10 years ago, is that they used 2x8's on a second story where the client wanted to put a bathroom. There is no real way to put a toilet drain in a 2x8 joist, it really has to be 2x10. I haven't seen that mistake again on any of his places, so I'm sure they learned their lesson. This isn't a dig at Jay, just a nice reminder that you need to really sit down and hash out what you want in a cabin/residence.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well, we have decided to build a "guest cabin" near the place we want the house. Jay is building the guest house, and we will decided from there whether he builds the full time residence. So far he has been extremely patient, flexible, and willing. All "good" attributes in a builder as far as I am concerned. Will start on the 15th October. Can't wait.

They framed our "seasonal" cabin. But then I took a job in the Valley. I have been full time for 12 years now. off the grid, but on the road system. We discovered after construction we wanted more insulation in the rafters. Just firred them out a bit. No Complaints about the builder, just know what you want and convey it him up front.

Any photos of the finished cabin?

He has been at it long enough that I believe he puts up a quality structure.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.